RUSH Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame, June 25

hazlnut

QUOTE (thing2jordan @ Jun 25 2010, 06:12 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 25 2010, 07:48 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 25 2010, 02:24 PM)
QUOTE (hazlnut @ Jun 25 2010, 02:36 PM)
This one is classic, Geddy walks off with the kid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhTiy5riYwM

Awesome biggrin.gif

that made my hour.

By the way, that's one lucky kid, hope he grows up to like Rush so this would be an honor for him.

Nice! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

His body guard is not to be fu**** with. laugh.gif tongue.gif

Oh my god! laugh.gif What a lucky kid! I love Ged. tongue.gif

I just watched this! Now that was too funny. laugh.gif

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 26 2010, 08:05 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 25 2010, 05:37 PM)
If I worked my whole life to create something, and someone wanted to give me a star on the walk of fame, Im not the crying type, I only cry when my pets die, or people I know, but I would cry if someone told me I earned something like that.

Meanwhile Neil is riding his bike somewhere, something he's done for many years, and you only get this chance one time. No matter what you say he just comes off as being a jerk. Its just a nice thing to do to show your face when you're being honored.

Dude, you do not know Neil. Apparently, you are lost in your own little world. Yes, being honored is one of the greatest things. However, fans are crazy. Think about come of the things fans do to get to meet someone.

Then, add to that, you are a humble and shy person. No matter what the ceremony is, Neil has a right to do what is best for him. Neil's family was there. Don't you think that's enough?

The fact that you have the warped sense to bash Neil makes you what are calling Neil.

Jack-ass.

I must apologize on behalf of trenken and others like him, for you see, they are very ignorant and probably can't be helped.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 26 2010, 10:07 AM)
If I worked my whole life to create something, and someone wanted to give me a star on the walk of fame, Im not the crying type, I only cry when my pets die, or people I know, but I would cry if someone told me I earned something like that.

Meanwhile Neil is riding his bike somewhere, something he's done for many years, and you only get this chance one time. No matter what you say he just comes off as being a jerk. Its just a nice thing to do to show your face when you're being honored.

Dude, you do not know Neil. Apparently, you are lost in your own little world. Yes, being honored is one of the greatest things. However, fans are crazy. Think about come of the things fans do to get to meet someone.

Then, add to that, you are a humble and shy person. No matter what the ceremony is, Neil has a right to do what is best for him. Neil's family was there. Don't you think that's enough?

The fact that you have the warped sense to bash Neil makes you what are calling Neil.

Jack-ass.

I must apologize on behalf of trenken and others like him, for you see, they are very ignorant and probably can't be helped.

Yes, because we dont like assholes. If you do thats fine by me, but I simply dont like people like him. What you think about that is irrelevant.

If you are an asshole like he is, then I would expect you to defend him. Assholes all think alike, and they often like each other too.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 26 2010, 12:07 PM)

Jack-ass.

Yes, because we dont like assholes. If you do thats fine by me, but I simply dont like people like him. What you think about that is irrelevant.

If you are an asshole like he is, then I would expect you to defend him. Assholes all think alike, and they often like each other too.

Guess you and I wouldn 't get along, then, not that you're surprised. By your definition, I'm an antisocial asshole.

Yes, my shyness is frequently misinterpreted as snobbery or standoffishness. I hate it when that happens, but it's the way I am, and I'm not going to try to rewire my entire personality to make a few shitheels happy.

Trenken, alot of people respect opposing views and I would certainly put Neil in that category, but I also know that he would never slander or lie about people however contrarian his opinion was.

I dont know who that is, but we know he's shy. He's a recluse, anti-social, we all know the type. There's many people like that and there's nothing at all wrong with it.

Though he can be "reclusive" he is not a "recluse." He can be anti-social in certain settings regarding strangers and crowds. Alot of people with fame do not like to have fans invade their privacy and as we know, some people can be real jerks which can inflame the nuerosis.

But this guy is in a position where people idol him, and he knows that, and even when he is receiving a great honor such as this, because of his fears of strangers he cant just show up, sign some autographs and jump on the bike again?

Apparently not. My wife is afraid of flying. I have a friend deathly afraid of snakes. Many have fears of heights, closed spaces and host of other things.

Jesus dude, take some anti anxiety pills like Xanax or something if you need to, this really is something you should be at.

Many people that do not suffer from "fears" simply don't understand it and suggesting that a pill can somehow cure it shows a severe lack on knowledge on the subject.

I remember reading that with his previous wife, they were not actually married at a ceremony like most people, but they were married through common law marriage. Ill bet anything this was because of his social issues. I know a guy like this, he didnt want to have a wedding because he was so paranoid about being the center of attention of a lot of people, so he did the same thing. It's really sad to see people like this.

The above is actually mean spirited conjecture. You know nothing of him or his previous wife personally and apparently not alot about the history of the band either.

I am sure alot of people think it's sad to see you even write something like this though I assume you do it for your own personal reasons whatever that might be.

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jun 25 2010, 08:24 PM)

Here's a comment from Donna Halper:
#66 - Posted 6/25/10 @5:51PM by donnahalper [contact]

Some of you are breaking my heart. Please stop the Neil-bashing. Let me tell you something and you can do what you want with it. Neil is shy. Painfully shy. So am I, and believe me, it's hard to get up in front of strangers and talk when it's not your comfort zone. He sent his family. They were there on his behalf. But he couldn't do it. HOW DARE SOME OF YOUR CRITICIZE HIM FOR BEING HIMSELF? He is a great drummer and a compassionate person, but he's not a public speaker. Please stop the insults. He doesn't deserve them. [rant mode off]

Forgive me for being cranky-- I have surgery on Monday and the only reason I did the speech today was to honor my friends and to honor the fans. I hope I did okay and if anyone wants a copy of my speech, let me know. I am sorry Neil wasn't there, but I know he is pleased that the band has now been commemorated forever. Let's remember that good things came out of this, and we are here to enjoy it and celebrate the band's success with them. Just my 2 cents.

How EMBARRASSING that our beloved Donna Halper has to be stressed out over ignorant remarks on a day that we should ALL be celebrating a RUSH milestone!!!!!

She is a lovely woman and she works hard, in spite of a very busy professional schedule, to reach out to RUSH fans in an open spirit of loyalty to the guys. We had dinner with her, with several of our TRF friends and she is the REAL DEAL!!!! She is kind, and genuine, and SHE KNOWS NEIL PERSONALLY - - unlike people who "think" they know him. I chose not to post a report of that night on TRF because there are so many mean spirited people here lately who do not post in a respectful and gracious manner. (Not my business, but I want no part of threads that bash in a non-constructive way.)

Donna truly understands Neil's decisions, may I point out - - supported by Alex and Geddy, and she should not have to defend him against ignorant and inflaming comments.

BTW . . . this is one reason why Neil, who used to be in open discourse with the public on the internet when it was new, had to withdraw.

HOW DARE people call Neil names?!?!? What is the motive? . . . the intent? . . . the purpose? Why are they part of a community of RUSH fans?!?!? confused13.gif

Yesterday was a miraculous and joyous occasion!!!! Donna represented us well!!!! Geddy and Alex were AMAZING!!!!!!!

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 26 2010, 10:07 AM)

Jack-ass.

laugh.gif

trenken..........you crack me up!

How can you call someone you've never even met before an asshole?

You child!!

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jun 26 2010, 11:28 AM)
How EMBARRASSING that our beloved Donna Halper has to be stressed out over ignorant remarks on a day that we should ALL be celebrating a RUSH milestone!!!!!

She is a lovely woman and she works hard, in spite of a very busy professional schedule, to reach out to RUSH fans in an open spirit of loyalty to the guys. We had dinner with her, with several of our TRF friends and she is the REAL DEAL!!!! She is kind, and genuine, and SHE KNOWS NEIL PERSONALLY - - unlike people who "think" they know him. I chose not to post a report of that night on TRF because there are so many mean spirited people here lately who do not post in a respectful and gracious manner. (Not my business, but I want no part of threads that bash in a non-constructive way.)

Donna truly understands Neil's decisions, may I point out - - supported by Alex and Geddy, and she should not have to defend him against ignorant and inflaming comments.

BTW . . . this is one reason why Neil, who used to be in open discourse with the public on the internet when it was new, had to withdraw.

HOW DARE people call Neil names?!?!? What is the motive? . . . the intent? . . . the purpose? Why are they part of a community of RUSH fans?!?!? confused13.gif

Yesterday was a miraculous and joyous occasion!!!! Donna represented us well!!!! Geddy and Alex were AMAZING!!!!!!!

Hare biggrin.gif

Dear Lord.

Frankly, I think THIS is the kind of attitude that Neil chooses to avoid.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jun 26 2010, 12:28 PM)
From another forum (not a Rush forum) about the Walk of Fame:

"Why is Neil Peart such a dick when the other two seem so cool?"

It's a good question.

No, it's a stupid, ignorant and shitty question. Why it's a shitty question was answered in some of the above posts.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 26 2010, 12:32 PM)

Jack-ass.

laugh.gif

You child!!

Hmmmm. By trenken's reasoning, most of TRF's membership are assholes, save for himself, moedrabowsky, possibly one or two others.

Makes you wonder how it is that so many Rush fans also happen to be assholes. Why such a seemingly high correlation? confused13.gif

Or maybe it begs another question entirely, one that you guys can no doubt puzzle out for yourselves.

Anyway, I'm happy to have the company! What a fine fellowship of assholes we have here on TRF! trink39.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 26 2010, 11:50 AM)

It's a good question.

No, it's a stupid, ignorant and shitty question. Why it's a shitty question was answered in some of the above posts.

Wrong. It's an honest question.

It must be tough to be so unique and special and wealthy like Neil Peart.

You're right -- mere human beings can't understand the depths of his superiority.

Give me a break.

I don't think most Rush fans are assholes.

I just think most of them lack objectivity when it comes to the band.

Ample evidence in this thread and many others.

If you don't like every single aspect about Rush and don't agree that Neil is special and should never be criticized (like any other "god"), you're not a "real" Rush fan.

It's like junior high. Neil doesn't like any of you -- he's made that clear many, many times.

Defend him all you want, and I'll make any criticism of him I damn well please.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jun 26 2010, 12:57 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 26 2010, 11:50 AM)

It's a good question.

Wrong. It's an honest question.

It must be tough to be so unique and special and wealthy like Neil Peart.

You're right -- mere human beings can't understand the depths of his superiority.

Give me a break.

No, it's still a shitty question. Human nature and why people act the way they do is not simple, but people like you and the person who posed that stupid question on another board (was it you under another name?) think it IS simple.

Ged and Alex are cool with speaking in front of large crowds and will sign autographs and Neil won't. Therefore, Neil is a dick.

That's a very simpleminded way of thinking. Choosing to go with that instead of trying to understand WHY someone like Neil would avoid such gatherings is childish, shortsighted, ignorant, and stupid. It just is.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jun 26 2010, 12:01 PM)

If you don't like every single aspect about Rush and don't agree that Neil is special and should never be criticized (like any other "god"), you're not a "real" Rush fan.

It's like junior high. Neil doesn't like any of you -- he's made that clear many, many times.

Yes, you can criticize and others can criticize your opinion. It is ironic that people are dismayed at not being able to "see" him when I much prefer his books which actually offer tons of insight into who he is and what he thinks. I value that immensely more than a picture or an autograph. How many of our "idols" have actually done that?? It reaches out to fans in the most personal way possible.

QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jun 26 2010, 12:11 PM)

Yes, you can criticize and others can criticize your opinion. It is ironic that people are dismayed at not being able to "see" him when I much prefer his books which actually offer tons of insight into who he is and what he thinks. I value that immensely more than a picture or an autograph. How many of our "idols" have actually done that?? It reaches out to fans in the most personal way possible.

It's not about wanting to "see" him, it's about leaving Geddy and Alex to pull his weight and represent Rush.

But, fair enough.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jun 26 2010, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jun 26 2010, 12:11 PM)

It's not about wanting to "see" him, it's about leaving Geddy and Alex to pull his weight and represent Rush.

...Which Ged and Alex are more than happy to do, as they've explained many times in interviews. They're happy to do it because they KNOW Neil...unlike the many people who THINK they do and call him a "dick" for not signing autographs, etc.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 26 2010, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 26 2010, 12:32 PM)

Jack-ass.

laugh.gif

You child!!

Hmmmm. By trenken's reasoning, most of TRF's membership are assholes, save for himself, moedrabowsky, possibly one or two others.

Makes you wonder how it is that so many Rush fans also happen to be assholes. Why such a seemingly high correlation? confused13.gif

Or maybe it begs another question entirely, one that you guys can no doubt puzzle out for yourselves.

Anyway, I'm happy to have the company! What a fine fellowship of assholes we have here on TRF! trink39.gif

Here here trink39.gif

You don't know him, either, so how do you know he's NOT a dick.

I've read his books, from which one can most certainly draw conclusions about Peart's character, or lack thereof.

Well, it starts with perceptions through our five senses and as our brain percieves that data we use it to form a conception. That conception can be disproven or validated by comparing it to information available. This is how people form conclusions.

All available information that I am aware of, statements for those close to him, his books and songs and interviews points to him not being there out of a very real fear. He and all those friends and family say he feels horrible about not being able to share the burden. I also don't think Geddy and Alex look at it as a burden. But unless you have information to the contrary then you are likely making a horrible assumption to draw your "conclusion". So that's how we "know."

A couple of opinions from people on RIAB sum up how I feel.

At best I feel this way:

This whole argument whether Neil should have been there probably has some truth on both sides.  Yeah, it would have been nice if he was there. And maybe it was a minor disrespect to the fans, but probably more of a disappointment. And yes, it was a rather large honor and to not be there is a little odd. But hey, that's just Neil and it's ultimately his decision. I mean did you really expect to see him there?

At worst I feel this way:

However...when you've been in a band for about 35 years, and when the woman who got you the recognition in the US to catapult your career to astronomical heights goes out of her way to get you inducted on the Hollywood Walk of Fame....I'm sorry...but sometimes adults have to "break out" of their comfort zone, and do things they don't feel comfortable doing. This was one time he should have been there. In this person's humble opinion...he basically disrespected Donna, and the fans by doing his usual "I don't wanna be around people" act. This was neither the time or place for such behavior. This was not only a tribute to Alex, Geddy, (and should have been for Neil)..but also a tribute to RUSH...and Neil has been part of this band for over three decades.  As a drummer...I think he's the greatest...as a person...I'll give him a pass....he's not perfect just like everyone else.

It was weird seeing such a prestigious honor bestowed upon the group and have only 2 of the 3 of them there. I wasn't surprised, but I was disappointed. This isn't just a meet and greet or a talk show appearance. Still I don't think he's a dick or anything, it's just unfortunate for the fans that he wasn't there, and I think it's unfortunate for him as well - it's not an experience that will ever happen again. Maybe he feels fantastic about the decision not to go without a twinge of regret or loss - if so, good for him. I somehow doubt that, but I have no way of really knowing...

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 26 2010, 01:57 PM)
Is this the Official Drama Day on TRF?

It's everywhere!!!!

Fukk the drama, where is the clip of the Hollywood "STARMEN?"

Yeah, but I also haven't seen one of these threads in a while, and I have nothing to do here so... popcorn.gif

Archived