RUSH Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame, June 25

hazlnut

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He made a website update sometime in the past year or so in which he does go into a bit about his "social awkwardness". I inferred from what he had to say that he doesn't like being that way, and in fact said something to the effect that he'd like to make some sort of effort to overcome it.

But to be thrust into yesterday's events - my God. I can't imagine. It was a controlled zoo, but a zoo nonetheless.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 26 2010, 02:20 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 26 2010, 01:57 PM)
Is this the Official Drama Day on TRF?

It's everywhere!!!!

Fukk the drama, where is the clip of the Hollywood "STARMEN?"

Yeah, but I also haven't seen one of these threads in a while, and I have nothing to do here so... popcorn.gif

me too! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 26 2010, 11:20 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 26 2010, 01:57 PM)
Is this the Official Drama Day on TRF?

It's everywhere!!!!

Fukk the drama, where is the clip of the Hollywood "STARMEN?"

Yeah, but I also haven't seen one of these threads in a while, and I have nothing to do here so... popcorn.gif

Drama Kings and Queens are everywhere.

Signed,

"Malice In Wonderland"

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jun 26 2010, 09:28 AM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jun 25 2010, 08:24 PM)

Here's a comment from Donna Halper:
#66 - Posted 6/25/10 @5:51PM by donnahalper  [contact]

Some of you are breaking my heart. Please stop the Neil-bashing. Let me tell you something and you can do what you want with it. Neil is shy. Painfully shy. So am I, and believe me, it's hard to get up in front of strangers and talk when it's not your comfort zone. He sent his family. They were there on his behalf. But he couldn't do it. HOW DARE SOME OF YOUR CRITICIZE HIM FOR BEING HIMSELF? He is a great drummer and a compassionate person, but he's not a public speaker. Please stop the insults. He doesn't deserve them. [rant mode off]

Forgive me for being cranky-- I have surgery on Monday and the only reason I did the speech today was to honor my friends and to honor the fans. I hope I did okay and if anyone wants a copy of my speech, let me know. I am sorry Neil wasn't there, but I know he is pleased that the band has now been commemorated forever. Let's remember that good things came out of this, and we are here to enjoy it and celebrate the band's success with them. Just my 2 cents.

How EMBARRASSING that our beloved Donna Halper has to be stressed out over ignorant remarks on a day that we should ALL be celebrating a RUSH milestone!!!!!

She is a lovely woman and she works hard, in spite of a very busy professional schedule, to reach out to RUSH fans in an open spirit of loyalty to the guys. We had dinner with her, with several of our TRF friends and she is the REAL DEAL!!!! She is kind, and genuine, and SHE KNOWS NEIL PERSONALLY - - unlike people who "think" they know him. I chose not to post a report of that night on TRF because there are so many mean spirited people here lately who do not post in a respectful and gracious manner. (Not my business, but I want no part of threads that bash in a non-constructive way.)

Donna truly understands Neil's decisions, may I point out - - supported by Alex and Geddy, and she should not have to defend him against ignorant and inflaming comments.

BTW . . . this is one reason why Neil, who used to be in open discourse with the public on the internet when it was new, had to withdraw.

HOW DARE people call Neil names?!?!? What is the motive? . . . the intent? . . . the purpose? Why are they part of a community of RUSH fans?!?!? confused13.gif

Yesterday was a miraculous and joyous occasion!!!! Donna represented us well!!!! Geddy and Alex were AMAZING!!!!!!!

Hare biggrin.gif

I agree Hare, Donna was absolutely upset enough that she felt the need to address all the Neil bashing.

For those of you who don't know who she is, shame on you!

I am more concerned about her stress over this when I read she is having surgery on Monday. She should be relaxing and not horrified but what she has been reading.

Thank you Donna for helping Rush to get the start by playing their music. Had you not done that, maybe none of us would be here right now talking about a band that is still relevant and creating awesome music.

Let's just focus on the positive a tour that starts in a few days and I'm sure it will be astounding!

Prayers to you for your surgery!

Once again, can anyone look at this pic and honestly say they're surprised Neil didn't attend? For a guy who no longer does press or meet-and-greets, this would seem to be his worst nightmare made real:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FQQVyOJRryI/TCUfz7lOzyI/AAAAAAAAA0Q/L23UAJGS5s8/s512/Rush%20Walk%20of%20Fame%20009.jpg

Neil has always done things differently, on his own terms. This is the guy who used to personally answer letters written to him through Modern Drummer, until the word got out and he could no longer keep up with the volume. He's also the guy who used to anwer fan questions in the Rush newsletter in the early internet days. And he's the guy who communicates pretty regularly with the fans through his blog (unlike Alex and Geddy). And he's written more books than any other rock musician I can think of.

And yet, he gets no respect from some folks unless he's out there kissing babies, shaking hands at meet-and-greets, etc. facepalm.gif

I posted these pics in the other thread on the event, but figured I'd put them here too.

I was lucky enough to attend yesterday, and let me tell you, it was life changing. Donna and Billy were amazing, and the guys were soo cool.

This was my first time seeing the guys (they're my favorite band ever, but I missed them back in 08)--let me just say best day of my entire life

Pics:

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp173/rubix_08/P6253784.jpg

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp173/rubix_08/P6253785.jpg

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp173/rubix_08/P6253786.jpg

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp173/rubix_08/photo-7.jpg

^^^TSOR, you really ought to get those pictures and the autographed AFTK all put together in a nice frame. Those are super.

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 26 2010, 02:57 PM)
Once again, can anyone look at this pic and honestly say they're surprised Neil didn't attend? For a guy who no longer does press or meet-and-greets, this would seem to be his worst nightmare made real:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FQQVyOJRryI/TCUfz7lOzyI/AAAAAAAAA0Q/L23UAJGS5s8/s512/Rush%20Walk%20of%20Fame%20009.jpg

Neil has always done things differently, on his own terms. This is the guy who used to personally answer letters written to him through Modern Drummer, until the word got out and he could no longer keep up with the volume. He's also the guy who used to anwer fan questions in the Rush newsletter in the early internet days. And he's the guy who communicates pretty regularly with the fans through his blog (unlike Alex and Geddy). And he's written more books than any other rock musician I can think of.

And yet, he gets no respect from some folks unless he's out there kissing babies, shaking hands at meet-and-greets, etc. facepalm.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 26 2010, 01:57 PM)

Again, we have to realize that those types of people are very ignorant and small minded, which is unfortunate.

QUOTE (The Spirit of Radio @ Jun 26 2010, 01:22 PM)

Wow dude... Why'd you have to go and kill the king like that? tongue.gif

It's a great first time to meet them, it's going to be one of their most memorable historic moments and you got to be there in person.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 26 2010, 03:38 PM)
QUOTE (The Spirit of Radio @ Jun 26 2010, 01:22 PM)

Wow dude... Why'd you have to go and kill the king like that? tongue.gif

It's a great first time to meet them, it's going to be one of their most memorable historic moments and you got to be there in person.

haha, I didn't even realize that, sorry...And it was an amazing event, something I'll never forget. The guys couldn't have been any cooler

ps--that's corgan's autograph on the right

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 27 2010, 09:28 AM)
why would you defile a Rush album with Billy Corgan's autograph? lol

Why is there so much fukn' hate for Corgan on this forum? Jesus, at least he recognises class when he sees it.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jun 26 2010, 05:47 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 27 2010, 09:28 AM)

Why is there so much fukn' hate for Corgan on this forum? Jesus, at least he recognises class when he sees it.

Is there a lot of Corgan bashing here?

I dunno, but there was a ton of it on the Rush facebook page too. The negativity is unbelievable. Whether you like his music or not, the dude is cool enough to speak glowingly about the band in the movie, introduce them at the ceremony with some really kind words, and I hear way too much "Corgan wouldn't hold Rush's jock" BS

It's really sad...get over yourselves

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 26 2010, 04:28 PM)

Haha, I didn't know there was Corgan bashing either, but I'm a huge fan of his music, and the fact that he said such cool things about Rush, and that he was a big part of the ceremony made my think it would be fitting to get him to sign it

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 26 2010, 06:10 PM)
I dunno, but there was a ton of it on the Rush facebook page too. The negativity is unbelievable. Whether you like his music or not, the dude is cool enough to speak glowingly about the band in the movie, introduce them at the ceremony with some really kind words, and I hear way too much "Corgan wouldn't hold Rush's jock" BS

It's really sad...get over yourselves

Seriously. Corgan is sort of like another Geddy -- a very talented and high-profile musician in a very popular band who has a unique singing voice. A lot of people don't like Corgan's voice, just like with Geddy's. I'm sure the boys respect Corgan big time and are sincerely flattered that he speaks so glowingly about them.

You don't have to like Corgan or his music, but if you can't respect him then you're pretty closed-minded.

Archived