OFFICIAL Caravan and BU2B reaction thread

Presto-digitation

QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Jun 1 2010, 08:34 AM)
My review - Love Caravan. Great song construction and lots of instrumentals. Not sure yet about BU2B. Not bad, but it feels a little bland and repetitive to me. Overall I'm pleasantly surprised.

My wife's review - All Rush sounds the same. 

I made my wife listen to these 2 songs as well (she hates Rush). Her opinion...more of why she hates them...no melody, no catchy chorus, just jumbled noise and that voice...like fingernails on a blackboard (her words not mine, though agree about the noise part). 

laugh.gif

Well, at least my wife doesn't HATE Rush. I've drug her along to 3 concerts over the years and I've been able to keep the kicking and screaming to a minimum. The music's so loud I wouldn't hear her anyway. wink.gif

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My boyfriend just doesn't like it because its "old".

I've never understood this thinking. The ironic part about this is that these "new" bands never hang around long. Their music just doesn't pass the test of time. So "new" must mean "flash in the pan"?

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 1 2010, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 12:04 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 1 2010, 11:02 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 11:53 AM)
My boyfriend just doesn't like it because its "old".

Dispose of him immediately. wink.gif

Haha, no, unfortunately, I love him to death tongue.gif I've put up with his lack of Rush worship for 2 and a half years now so... I'm pretty much used to it.

And he agreed to go to see Rush in concert with me so, I can't really fault him for not liking "anything old". It does annoy me sometimes however.

It's a good thing I like many of the new bands that he likes.

I don't get why he says it's "old"?!!!!

NO DUDE IT'S BRAND f***ing NEW RUSH!!!!!!!

tongue.gif

Old band. Even if they write more modern, heavier music, most people outside their immediate fanbase just look at them as dinosaurs and cant like them because the lyrics are too deep, Geddy sounds weird, they dont really write catchy melodies anymore, etc...

I think thats what she meant.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 1 2010, 10:19 AM)
Ok, I listened with fresh ears this morning, even though I still haven't been able to listen to a higher quality version yet (coming soon).

While I enjoy both of the songs, I guess my honest assessment is that the songs are still in the vein of their 1993-2010 period. I guess it would be ridiculous to assume they'd be really old school. The new Rush is often a much heavier, more metal like Rush than in days gone by. With these two songs, they're MUCH heavier than say anything they did in the 80's. After the initial glow of hearing a new Rush song, I was hearing a lot of T4E and VT echoes that weren't completely thrilling me. Hopefully the album will contain some more mellow songs to balance it out a bit like a Nobody's Hero or Resist or The Larger Bowl (not like I love all those songs, but you get the point).

I don't mind heavy outright. I loved a lot of Counterparts, the first three songs especially, and I loved a lot of Snakes & Arrows, the first three songs especially, and those all had tons of heaviness - if not always tons of speed. I guess what I'm missing is a certain clarity, expansiveness and a simplicity. I'm sure some of the clarity will be cleared up when I hear it in a CD version, but often Rush in recent decades make songs that are heavy and dense musically and lyrically without having a lot of room to breathe. As much as I love musical complexity and radical time changes, sometimes simpler is better in terms of conveying melody and making a song more universally accessible. These are songs, for example, I would never play for a new prospective Rush fan unless they were hardcore into metal or more modern prog metal, as I think it would be a bit much for the neophyte otherwise. I'd rather ease them in with something more melodic and less in your face.

While I still miss the keyboards of old, I do appreciate that there are some keyboards noticeably present, more than I expected, adding a tad more than merely flourish. The opening to Caravan is really pretty cool - it reminded me of the intro to Gene Simmon's Radioactive - they sound nothing alike, but the same spirit of an unusual more orchestral sounding intro that has nothing to do with the song. That was almost as goosebump inducing to hear as the first time I heard the start of Force Ten or the ending coda of The Big Money, though not quite up to those standards.

A major positive is the absence of the Geddy choir (thank God!), but I'm still missing guitar solos. Yes, Caravan has one, but it's hardly the Alex of old in terms of memorable soaring melodies. He can riff like a guitar God, but I do miss the expansive soloing of olde. Lyrically I think the songs are good, though BU2B is a bit of a downer. I guess it's got a similar lyrical vibe to Armor and Sword, but that was a pretty majestic song. Lyrics like "no one gets to their heaven without a fight," which can appeal to people of vastly different faiths or those without one due to its openness to interpretation, don't come along every day.

So I guess so far (and my opinion might change), the songs are about as much as I could expect - truly great given the time period they're in, but they hardly transcend that. If I'm being honest, if I stacked these up against anything on Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves, or in particular heavier older songs like Overture, A Farewell To Kings or Circumstances, they would be vastly inferior. The intense heaviness of recent albums is getting a bit much for me. While in one respect I can really rock out with these songs and a lot of their more recent works, I do long for a bit more subtlety and melodicism as opposed to such a sonic attack. That's just personal preference. I don't think you have to be unrelentingly heavy to convey intensity.

After 4 listens, I can't see loving these songs as much as my fave songs on S&A - namely Far Cry, Armor & Sword and Workin' Them Angels - those songs blew my mind and grabbed me immediately. I don't see these in quite that same category, but they could grow on me more - maybe a lot more. One big advantage of hearing an entire album is listening to songs in context, and here I'm missing some context and the flow of the song order that could only add to the experience.

All that said, these are still great songs, at minimum a solid 7 out of 10, and my feelings on them could change a lot upon subsequent listens...

You have taken the words right out of my, well, head. Good review, goobs.

I also have to agree with the commenters who state the lyrics aren't fitting with the music. I really feel this with Caravan ("caravan thunders onward..") and it bugs me. Music should fit lyrics and vice versa. I think both songs kinda miss the boat with that...

The main reason my favorite Rush songs are my favorites is because the music without the lyrics -- and lyrics without the music -- would not have the same effect. Far Cry, which I can confidently say is one of my favorite Rush songs, has a perfect marriage of the lyrics with the music: "I can get back on... I can get back ooonnn..." ::DRUM FILL!::

Again, I like the songs, not love. I'm finding myself listening to them and trying to get everything to click and it's not happening for me this time..

I've listened to both songs only once so far, and they both sound very fresh and original to me - not some kind of re-hash of older material or styles, not, of course, that we expect such cobblers from Rush (so, thank God, no change there then).

What struck me immediately is how fresh and vibrant the band sound, as if they are 25 years of age or something, and have only an album or two under their belts. Certainly, and speaking purely for myself, I feel that this new material puts to shame a lot of supposedly harder/metal bands whose members really are only 25 years of age.

But did I actually like the songs? Well, here's a superbly positive indicator: I found myself tapping my foot to Caravan unconsciously, and that was about a minute into my first and only listen to the track. That, for me, is very good news indeed - somewhere deep down in my psyche The Boys were tickling those Rush chromosomes of mine again, and that is all I need to know.

Rush, you are the flippin' best - stick at it, and stick it right out for all the world to see.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 1 2010, 11:47 AM)
Far Cry, which I can confidently say is one of my favorite Rush songs, has a perfect marriage of the lyrics with the music:  "I can get back on... I can get back ooonnn..."  ::DRUM FILL!::

I know some on here don't, but I DIG that song as well. You're right, it all just fits - it works. I happen to also LOVE that Alex chose to throw his 'Hemispheres, Alex chord' into that song...two or three times actually. It's like hearing the Pink Floyd "tinggggg" in various songs on various albums - it's a trademark. I hope they fit the "Alex chord" into the new CD somewhere.

Just gave the songs my first listen, and to be honest, they didn't do much for me on the first pass.

Maybe it's because I'm listening to the songs on a day back to work after a holiday weekend? Maybe I'm just not in the right frame of mind? Maybe I'm sick? I dunno.

Most of the reviews have been positive. So, I feel like there's something wrong with me that I'm not impressed. laugh.gif

I do have to admit that I rarely like a song the first time I hear it. The only Rush song that had me at the first listen in the last few albums is Far Cry.

But, I will give these songs a few more listens. I'm willing to bet that I post another review in a few days that is quite different.

QUOTE (Dunkelkammer @ Jun 1 2010, 11:13 AM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 31 2010, 10:28 PM)
I'm laughing thinking about Geddy's response to that ridiculous "Isn't it about time you guys hung it up and let some younger bands take over?" question at the Hall of Fame induction.

These guys are 56, 56, and 57 years old and they have chunks of younger bands in their stool.

They're superheroes. That's the only explanation.  smile.gif

LOL!!!!!!

Very funny!

....and completely true!

laugh.gif

+1

Both really exceeded my expectations,in Caravan I wish Alex had a little more space to solo I did like the short solo it almost sounded Steve Morse-like, BU2B needed a climatic guitar solo too but theyre both single versions so on the album they might be longer

Caravan is pretty awesome, has kind of a Test for Echo vibe. BU2B wasn't bad, but it didn't catch on as instantly as Caravan did. This is good stuff, can't wait to hear live versions as well as the rest of the album.

QUOTE (Netboy @ Jun 1 2010, 12:24 PM)
"believe in what we're told." Oh man, awesome. Love the lyrics and the melody. I agree, it is fresh stuff.

I dunno! I don't find it that fresh personally..

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 1 2010, 01:25 PM)
"believe in what we're told." Oh man, awesome. Love the lyrics and the melody. I agree, it is fresh stuff.

That's because we only have to go back 3 years to find it. wink.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 1 2010, 12:25 PM)

I mean both songs overall. BU2B is the better song. But, caravan is still good.

The songs rock, but I'm not too excited about the lyrics. I guess Neil is still on his anti-religion kick. Didn't we get enough of that with S&A? Sounds like Neil has some deep rooted issues here... maybe he should see a shrink.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 1 2010, 10:25 AM)

It's a slightly fresh sound, but if you're looking for the radical shift of Rush to FBN or MP to Signals, or RTB to CP, it's nowhere close to that kind of shift.

It doesn't sound exactly like S&A, but there are a lot of similarities in the sound to the last 3 or 4 albums. It's hardly a radical departure.

Some great reactions here, both positive and negative, and two things stand out for me about the complaints.

First, regarding the musical "style" of these tracks. It's very interesting after S&A, which some derided as "lazy," "slow," or even "adult contemporary," now we seem to have swung in the opposite direction. Now, it's ironic to hear folks complain about the new stuff being "strange sounding," "grungy," "too heavy," and not "catchy" or "sing-along." tongue.gif Personally, I think it's great that Rush has pushed themselves and us with this new material. I can understand some folks still wishing the new stuff sounded more like PeW or MP, but the bottom line is that this is most definitely Rush 2010, not Rush 1980.

Second, regarding the perceived "awkward" or "shoehorned" lyrics for Caravan. I think this is simply the result of trying to sing over a FREAKING INSANE Lifeson guitar riff. 1022.gif I mean, that verse riff is just sick and sounds to me like some mutant offspring of Stick it Out and La Villa. 1022.gif Of course trying to sing and phrase lyrics over this riff is going to be challenging. The other option would have been to simplify the riff during the singing, but I'm glad they went with the crazy riff rather than dumbing it down.

I think the main issue is that both tunes are very musically dense and intense. There is a lot going on, packed into just five or six mintues. I do think that we'll get some more expansive or "relaxed" tunes on the album to balance these out. But so far, I am really glad that Rush is challenging themseves and us with their new music. 1022.gif

On second listen, these songs are WAY too loud. I put some Biffy Clyro on after (modern, heavy rock band) and could hardly hear that music on the same volume level. Hopefully they'll sort that out later.

Also, not to ruin the song for anyone, but after the first few seconds of Caravan did anyone else expect Ghostbusters to start playing?