What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

On 4/10/2024 at 2:36 PM, Rhyta said:

You are doing better than me, I am struggling to read much.  I think there are so many distractions that take me away from my reading, podcasts being the big one.  But this time of year I had always had a slump in my reading with hockey playoffs taking a big chunk out of my reading time in April through June but this year I can't seem to read much.  I even stalled out on Geddy's book, hoping I can break out of it soon.  Going to try my usual fix, re-reading a book I like and that can spur me back into reading.  Going back to Longmire, I had started a re-read of the series awhile back.  Hell is Empty is the title.

This made me think of 2020 and the long hours I spent reading in my front porch (probably like a billion other people). I have since wondered, as much as I love to read, it is as if I went through so many books during that time that as life slowly got back to normal I feel I should still be reading just as much?

So long as we keep reading, we are doing good.

• Like 3

On 4/13/2024 at 5:46 AM, Bahamas said:

This made me think of 2020 and the long hours I spent reading in my front porch (probably like a billion other people). I have since wondered, as much as I love to read, it is as if I went through so many books during that time that as life slowly got back to normal I feel I should still be reading just as much?

So long as we keep reading, we are doing good.

Maybe it is about finding a balance. Now that the social communication is no more restricted, and we can freely travel and go to events and hobbies as well if we like, it takes a bit of time to find out where the puzzle pieces should lie for us to feel well.

For me the most reading-time-consuming things (apart from working) are doing sports, learning to play bass, spending time with my fiancé, and communicating with my family and friends. I do read, bit by bit. At the moment I'm reading The Rabbit Factor by Antti Tuomainen (in Finnish, the original language). My father recommended this book for me. It's the first part of a trilogy, and it's hilarious and absurd. :laugh: I can't recall laughing so much while reading in years. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B8J35QQ6?binding=hardcover&ref=dbs_dp_rwt_sb_pc_thcv   

Side note: I'd love to have a house with a front porch. :happy: Our summer cottage with it's large porch is so far away that a relaxing reading or bass playing session only takes place during summer or autumn on my vacation. But I do have a balcony facing a beautiful park, and I have used this place for reading. That's quite nice, too.

• Like 2

Sitting in the sun reading is one of life's pleasures for me.  My previous house had window to the west I enjoyed laying on the carpet reading the Sunday paper there.  Got a rocking chair and would sit there to read, often with a kitty in my lap.  Heaven :heart:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sun & Moon said:

Maybe it is about finding a balance. Now that the social communication is no more restricted, and we can freely travel and go to events and hobbies as well if we like, it takes a bit of time to find out where the puzzle pieces should lie for us to feel well.

For me the most reading-time-consuming things (apart from working) are doing sports, learning to play bass, spending time with my fiancé, and communicating with my family and friends. I do read, bit by bit. At the moment I'm reading The Rabbit Factor by Antti Tuomainen (in Finnish, the original language). My father recommended this book for me. It's the first part of a trilogy, and it's hilarious and absurd. :laugh: I can't recall laughing so much while reading in years. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B8J35QQ6?binding=hardcover&ref=dbs_dp_rwt_sb_pc_thcv   

Side note: I'd love to have a house with a front porch. :happy: Our summer cottage with it's large porch is so far away that a relaxing reading or bass playing session only takes place during summer or autumn on my vacation. But I do have a balcony facing a beautiful park, and I have used this place for reading. That's quite nice, too.

Lucky me, our house is on a hilly part of town and the porch faces the harbour. Through the windows I can see ships waiting to load at port, the "Sleeping Giant" peninsula (Google it?) and big sky. The sun and moon both rise over the harbour. I feel very lucky. But after almost thirty years fixing up a 1905 clapboard century home, it also feels well deserved!

• Like 2

Actually have been listening to Hell is Empty this week, forgot what a wild ride it is.  Longmire chasing a group of escaped prisoners through a snowstorm in Wyoming, intense.

• Like 2

On 4/11/2024 at 12:16 AM, NoahLutz said:

I’ve been horrible on reading for the last two weeks.  I’m on the 4th book of the Prince Warriors series with my son, and I’m at the Gospel of Luke in my study Bible, but I am going through both slowly and have basically stopped reading Taliesin.  It’s not for any fault in the book as I have found it interesting, it is just laziness.  I need to get myself going again.  

Rhyta, where are you at?

I finally finished Taliesin and started the second book in the Pendragon Cycle: Merlin.  Having primed the pump I hope to go a bit faster now.  

We also finished the Dragon Warrriors series, which was just ok.  Now I think we’ll return to the world of Star Wars with the second book of the new Thrawn trilogy.  

Apparently there is also a 6th book in the Percy Jackson series, so the kids will be starting that as soon as I buy it.  And, as blessings and curses come in threes, the book is supposed to be a start to a new trilogy.  

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 7:10 PM, NoahLutz said:

I finally finished Taliesin and started the second book in the Pendragon Cycle: Merlin.  Having primed the pump I hope to go a bit faster now.  

We also finished the Dragon Warrriors series, which was just ok.  Now I think we’ll return to the world of Star Wars with the second book of the new Thrawn trilogy.  

Apparently there is also a 6th book in the Percy Jackson series, so the kids will be starting that as soon as I buy it.  And, as blessings and curses come in threes, the book is supposed to be a start to a new trilogy.  

I love Percy Jackson, I just got the new one on audio (it's one of the series I love to listen to).  I am glad to see familiar characters come back, I hadn't heard it was going to be a trilogy, that sounds good to me.

Still reading Hell is Empty, got behind this last week with some family issues (a death of a pet, family member passed).  Plus it is hockey playoffs so that eats into my reading time :biggrin:

• Like 3

Solenoid by Mircea Cartarescu. I knew nothing about it prior to stumbling upon it in my local library. It's very fascinating. 

From the jacket: "Based on Cărtărescu's own experience as a high school teacher, Solenoid begins with the mundane details of a diarist's life and quickly spirals into a philosophical account of life, history, philosophy, and mathematics. The novel is grounded in the reality of Romania in the late 1970s and early 1980s, including frightening health care, the absurdities of the education system, and the misery of family life, while on a broad scale Solenoid's investigations of other universes, dimensions, and timelines attempt to reconcile the realms of life and art. The text includes sequences in a tuberculosis preventorium, encounters with an anti-death protest movement, a society of dream investigators, and an extended visit to the miniscule world of dust mites living on a microscope slide. One character asks another: When you rush into the burning building, will you save the newborn or the artwork?"

On 4/24/2024 at 4:02 PM, Rhyta said:

I love Percy Jackson, I just got the new one on audio (it's one of the series I love to listen to).  I am glad to see familiar characters come back, I hadn't heard it was going to be a trilogy, that sounds good to me.

Still reading Hell is Empty, got behind this last week with some family issues (a death of a pet, family member passed).  Plus it is hockey playoffs so that eats into my reading time :biggrin:

I'm so sorry to hear of both your losses. :hug2:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blueschica said:

I'm so sorry to hear of both your losses. :hug2:

Thanks.  My husband's niece lost her father and my brother had to put his cat to sleep.  Plus my husband's supervisor had a heart attack and he was gone unexpectedly.  It's like the old saying things come in threes.  Hope we are done for now.

• Like 4

On 4/20/2024 at 9:10 AM, NoahLutz said:

I'm on the fourth book of the Pendragon Cycle and I didn’t like the third and am not liking the fourth as much as the others simply because there is too much focus on the battles and less on the people.  The books still do focus on growth and development, but I just don’t enjoy the battles as much as I enjoy seeing characters grow.  Still, I am enjoying the books.  

I’ve also dived more deeply into the second book of the Star Wars Thrawn trilogy (the canon one, not the legends one which I’ve already read).  It’s all good so far.  

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 10:39 PM, Richard Reyes said:

I knew nothing about it prior to stumbling upon it in my local library. It's very fascinating. 

From the jacket: "Based on Cărtărescu's own experience as a high school teacher, Solenoid begins with the mundane details of a diarist's life and quickly spirals into a philosophical account of life, history, philosophy, and mathematics. The novel is grounded in the reality of Romania in the late 1970s and early 1980s, including frightening health care, the absurdities of the education system, and the misery of family life, while on a broad scale Solenoid's investigations of other universes, dimensions, and timelines attempt to reconcile the realms of life and art. The text includes sequences in a tuberculosis preventorium, encounters with an anti-death protest movement, a society of dream investigators, and an extended visit to the miniscule world of dust mites living on a microscope slide. One character asks another: When you rush into the burning building, will you save the newborn or the artwork?"

Wow, that looks like quite the story!

I did a quick google to sound somewhat familiar with the subject while I replied to your post, but...holy cow, it all sounds very other worldly and completely unfamiliar. But I will check it out.

Thanks, Richard Reyes, for the recommendation. That is why I love this little sub-forum. As in, who knew?!