What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (GuitarKid 1880 @ May 25 2011, 03:22 AM)
Man, I'm finding new threads every day...

Right now, I'm reading "To Kill A Mockingbird", and it's a great book so far, can't really say much about it other than how good I find it.

I've just finished English Lit. where Mockingbird was our post-1914 prose to study. You couldn't wish for a better book, if you have an analytical tendency with books. wink.gif

I just finished Y: The Last Man. The last 300 pages are incredibly depressing. Now I started re-reading Dune. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it this time.

Stiiiiill reading "Dreamcatcher" (King).

His books are impossibly long but so addictive. I've put off reading Far and Away (GASP!) because I'm so entranced by the King. xD

It's a really, really good book but it's so gross and disturbing. I'm kind of glad I didn't pick it up years ago when I was first starting to read King's stuff, haha. You really have to have a certain amount of maturity (and a strong enough gut) to read it. It's grosser than probably any book and any movie I've had the pleasure (or mispleasure) of reading/seeing.

BUT GOD, IT'S SO GOOD!

I totally need to check out this thread more often. So many things I havent read!

I am currently reading

WHY WE SUCK...Denis Leary

(it is as I expected it would be)

WORDS OF LOVE...Quotations from the first blush to the final sigh

(beautiful stuff here)

HOW TO TEACH LIFE SKILLS TO KIDS WITH AUTISM or ASPERGERS

(informative! fun and easy to read)

COOL, CALM and COLLECTED, Poems 1960-2000

(keeps me connected to my inner English Major)

Just started re-reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I never get tired of it.

Douglas Adams...what a guy

Just finished reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, so I'm now about to start the second book in the series, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

QUOTE (Force Ten @ May 24 2011, 01:12 PM)
Tears of the Giraffe, 2nd book in the No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. smile.gif

I love those books. My mum got me into them.

I'm currently reading Contact by Carl Sagan. I've loved the movie for years, thought I'd give the book a try. cool.gif

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Jun 13 2011, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (Force Ten @ May 24 2011, 01:12 PM)
Tears of the Giraffe, 2nd book in the No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith.  smile.gif

I love those books. My mum got me into them.

I'm currently reading Contact by Carl Sagan. I've loved the movie for years, thought I'd give the book a try. cool.gif

Let me know what you think of it, will ya? (: I read the book prior to seeing the movie and then the film made me mad. xD; But I'd like to hear your thoughts on the novel and the differences. Personally I think it's one of the best sci-fis I've ever read.

Currently reading Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets by David Simon, It's the book from which the TV show sprang from.

I've just started "61 Hours" by Lee Child. On a related note, I've just read an alarming post on another forum claiming that a movie of the first Jack Reacher story "Killing Floor" is to be made with Tom Cruise in the lead role. WTF? They better put him on stilts or something. Talk about bad casting.

http://images.swap.com/images/Books/53/9780385527453.jpg

Evel: The High-Flying Life of Evel Knievel: American Showman, Daredevil, and Legend by Leigh Montville.

What boy, born around the same time as I was, didn't get excited by Evel Knievel?

Written by the same author as Ted Williams, another great book I've read. Montville is a great sports biographer.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 14 2011, 02:49 AM)
Currently reading Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets by David Simon, It's the book from which the TV show sprang from.

Love the TV show! How's the book?

Tried out this Real World 101 book I got for graduation. A cringe at the end of every paragraph, ho boy. Hopefully, in the future, it will be worth referencing for something.

Going to try out The Great Gatsby now.

Been on quite a tear on my Kindle lately:

Rush and Philosophy edited by Jim Berti and Durrell Bowman

The War For Late Night by Bill Carter

Dead Barchetta by Kathryn Lively

Back To Our Future by David Sirota

And I'm just starting on Traveling Music by Neil Peart.

QUOTE (Griffon @ Jun 23 2011, 09:39 AM)
Back To Our Future by David Sirota

If that's the book I think it is, I thought that looked like an interesting read.

Is it the one which posits that the 1980s are still affecting the direction of American life? Our culture and attitudes and politics?

Far and Away: A Prize Every Time (NP)

I know this is just a enhanced collection of his blog postsings, but I've been meaning to get the book regardless. The thing is, when I read the blog, I usually skim most of it and look for the Rush-relevant blurbs. With the print book, I am taking in the whole book along with the photographs. His writing is so peaceful and since I am nursing a running injury at the moment and can't do my marathong training, this is helping me heal and be calm.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. wub.gif

With the movie coming out I'm getting all hyped up for it. biggrin.gif ...Edited to say I'm reading the fourth book because it's my favourite, not because it's relevant to the movie. xD But I guess it is kind of because it's part of the same series..? Yeah whatever.

I'll probably reread the seventh book (Deathly Hallows) before Friday.

Edited by CMWriter