Rush Are Doing A ...Record!!!!(SPOILER)

presto123

I think a lot of you must be overlooking the fact that Rush are returning to a long concept piece. At Least if I read that right in the Neil Peart update thing. He said the first two songs are part of a Long story....Isn't this what many Rush fans have been hoping for? I know I have! 2.gif

I dont want to get too wrapped up in that right now. They're releasing 2 songs, we know for sure they have a total of 6 in the works, from that recent interview with Geddy and Alex.

They're going on tour for a while, it could well be 1-2 years before this is all finally done.

There's no confirmation at all that they are writing a 20 minute song. Long story sounds to me like this might be a standard issue album with 10 or so songs, but the lyrics tell a coherent story throughout.

Im not about to expect some epic 20 minute epic song out of them. If it happens then that's cool, there's a lot of modern prog bands doing that now such as the mars volta, who neil is a big fan of, but this is probably so far from being done I dont even want to think about it right now.

A concept album or "... parts of a long story..." theme would be cool. It doesn't necessarily mean any 10-20 minute tracks, just each song is a part of one story. A lot of their previous albums have a common theme, but this sounds like there will be a more obvious story line going on. Whether it's a story or Neil's scattered thoughts of Time, past and future, it will be great.

Yeah, we don't know what he means yet. And they don't even know how it will turn out at this early stage. Really, having a long piece of music on an album isn't what makes it a concept album, having a strong unifying theme throughout is what makes it. And in that sense I'd strongly argue that albums like Roll the Bones and Counterparts are far better examples of genuine concept albums than something like 2112. Because some people have no reading comprehension, let me make that clear. I'm not saying they're better albums, I'm saying they're more accurately described as concept albums than the 70s albums. I would expect that the new album will have 10-12 normal length songs that have a thematic connection. But we'll have to see.

I have seen it rumored elsewhere that this might be a concept piece as long as 50 minutes, with orchestra and possibly choir in some parts.

There was no source for that rumor, and we all know how accurate such reports usually are.

I don't care how Long or Short the Album is, it better be good. That is all i ask

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 22 2010, 07:53 AM)
I don't care how Long or Short the Album is, it better be good. That is all i ask

I'd much rather have a 35 minute album of quality material than a 65 minute album that includes 30 minutes of filler.

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 22 2010, 08:53 AM)

yeah, it's been over a few decades since a GREAT album IMO......my hopes aren't high at all, but who knows......

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 22 2010, 02:53 PM)

No doubt, however good it is, they will be some people here who will slag it off for not being like they were in their favourite era and look down on the one's who do like it

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ May 22 2010, 11:59 AM)
No doubt, however good it is, they will be some people here who will slag it off for not being like they were in their favourite era and look down on the one's who do like it

Sadly an occupational hazard for every long-lived band that has the balls to evolve their sound.

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ May 22 2010, 12:37 PM)

Sadly an occupational hazard for every long-lived band that has the balls to evolve their sound.

Honestly, the most I am hoping for or could dare to expect would be something around the quality of Snakes & Arrows, or perhaps a tiny bit better, like around the quality of Counterparts.

Do I think they have it in them to make an album as consistent and as good as they made between 1974-1987? No, I don't. I will, however, be extremely happy if I'm wrong and they can pull it off, and I'll be extremely open minded listening to it...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 22 2010, 07:51 PM)

Honestly, the most I am hoping for or could dare to expect would be something around the quality of Snakes & Arrows, or perhaps a tiny bit better, like around the quality of Counterparts. 

Personally, I would be over the moon if they made an album as good as either of these as both of them are among my personal favourites.

I'll be extremely open minded listening to it...

Sadly, I think that puts you in the minority.

However, its peoples perogative to like or dislike an album. Its the putting down of people that like something they dislike that gets my goat

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 22 2010, 02:51 PM)
QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ May 22 2010, 12:37 PM)

Do I think they have it in them to make an album as consistent and as good as they made between 1974-1987? No, I don't. I will, however, be extremely happy if I'm wrong and they can pull it off, and I'll be extremely open minded listening to it...

IMO, 2112 and every album from Hemispheres and up has been EQUALLY AMAZING so I'm sure I'll love the new stuff.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ May 22 2010, 03:26 PM)
However, its peoples perogative to like or dislike an album. Its the putting down of people that like something they dislike that gets my goat

Exactly! It's called an opinion and we all have the right to one.

I get the feeling 2.gif can produce/create a classic one more time before they call it quits, it matters none to me if it's short or longs songs. I just want it to be good not necessarily commercial success.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 22 2010, 11:01 AM)

I'd much rather have a 35 minute album of quality material than a 65 minute album that includes 30 minutes of filler.

Yes. We know. wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 22 2010, 11:01 AM)

Well...considering I tend to love most of the songs that everyone else seems to call "filler", I'll take the 65-minute album.

More music = more new Rush songs for me to listen to! biggrin.gif

Archived