Exposing Rush to a New Fan

Synthetic

So I have been dating this lovely girl who had heard of Rush but (as is so typical) had never heard anything but the radio standards.

This woman and I share the same political views, religious views (read: none), and overall outlook. I decided it was time for her to become exposed to my obsession.

We live a considerable distance away from each other but meet halfway on the weekends. I burnt and mailed her the equivalent of a 'Rush Mix tape' on CD. I was careful to step lightly and went for the more 'girl friendly' rush tunes for the first CD. Tunes included Entre Nous, Closer to the Heart, How It Is, Second Nature, plus about 10 more carefully chosen songs. In addition to the recordings, I also included lyrics sheets for all songs on the CD.

She told me that when she received the CD she refrained from playing it so she could immerse herself in it while driving on the way to see me. She sat down the night before the trip and read all of the lyrics (she writes poetry) and commented that the writing style was interestingly ambiguous. I told her "Just wait - when combined with the music it creates an even more mysterious presence of mind".

When she arrived at our rendezvous, she confessed that she had to pull over a couple times to reread the lyrics to make sure she was eharing what she thought she heard. She couldn't say enough about how almost every song spoke to her and flt a loss that she hadn't experienced this genius before...

That was 2 months ago. She has asked me to give her 2 Rush songs per week to add to her 'repertoire' of understanding. In order to not violate copyright laws, I have been pasting the lyrics and a youtube link to 2 songs per week, then we'd swap emails back and forth about what the songs say to our inner self.

It is a wonderful thing experiencing Rush with another person (especially someone who is new to them and is actually 'getting it' and is immersed. It is one thing for a girlfriend (or boyfriend for that matter in a reversed role) to try to like Rush... but a COMPLETELY different thing when they REALLY get it and are motivated to dig in and understand the context (or lack thereof)... and no, I haven't shared anagram for Mongo yet... lol

I could REALLY keep dating this amazing women... her perceptions of the songs I've been listening to for over 35 years are almost exactly as mine (not to mention we agree on 95% of all other things as well)... It is like I am dating a long time Rush fan - only she didn't know it!

So very cool!

QUOTE (Synthetic @ May 10 2010, 04:05 PM)
And much to my delight, she mentioned on the phone last night "It is weird but the meanings of many of Rush's songs change depending on my current mood"...

WHOAH... She DOES get it!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

My boyfriend doesn't like Rush (he doesn't like anything "old") and I miss being able to talk about Rush songs with a significant other who loves Rush as much as I do. So you are a lucky, lucky man.

But I have this board, and that helps.

QUOTE (Synthetic @ May 10 2010, 03:38 PM)
I could REALLY keep dating this amazing women...

Well at least you'll have like 25 albums to go through so it'll take awhile. smile.gif

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 10 2010, 05:45 PM)
My boyfriend doesn't like Rush (he doesn't like anything "old") and I miss being able to talk about Rush songs with a significant other who loves Rush as much as I do. So you are a lucky, lucky man.

But I have this board, and that helps.

Blah, sounds like my wife. According to her I "only like bands from 30 years ago" and "every Rush song has a million guitar solos".

The last one is really funny because I listen to DT all the time and she actually likes them. confused13.gif

I dunno.....

I think it's a ruse, she's obviously using Rush just to get into your pants.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 10 2010, 06:02 PM)
if you really love her, don't let her anywhere near Anagram.

rofl3.gif

Interesting. Most of the girls/women that I have dated found Rush to be silly to I like a few of their songs. I think that I like it that way. Gives me something to do that is mine. Best of luck to you. Sounds like you two are having a great time.

Even though my lady is into Hip Hop she loves my tastes in music and she loves when we go to see 2.gif Even when I travel and don't take her.

Play her Cygnus X-1......Just kidding... Actually I'm not sure how "chick" friendly that is. I am a girl, but I already thoroughly love Rush... so...

confused13.gif

On a more serious note, play her Secret Touch.

My girlfriend is 29, had never heard of Rush before she met me, knows that I love them since Ive been with her a long time now, and they're pretty much her most hated band on Earth, and Im completely cool with that.

Shes into rap and R&B, and I also love all that as well, but my roots are in rock and she just doesnt get it at all. She does like some heavy stuff like Metallica or modern prog bands like Mars Volta, but she doesnt understand Rush at all.

Ive really learned a lot about how people outside of the Rush circle view them. To them they are just boring as shit. Too structured, too light, lyrics are corny, Geddy sounds like a chipmunk. I think its funny but its just impossible for them to understand what we like about it.

Archived