I'm new to TRF - Not new to RUSH

WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae187/donnaklose/sign0016.gif

The Time Machine Tour will be the 15th show.

Welcome! This tour will make shows #10 & 11 for me. Seen every tour since p/g, except Counterparts & T4E. Hope you enjoy your time here.

Thanks for all the 'welcomes' everyone. I once thought I was one of a small group of obsessed RUSH fans. I stand corrected, there are thousands of RUSH crazy people on TRF. Listening to RUSH for 35 years kinda snuck up on me. It's been a wild ride and I glad I'm not alone. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif biggrin.gif

Welcome!

This will be my 52nd show. I'm old old.gif so I've been a fan for a long time plus I lived in various states that had shows within easy driving distance!

2.gif

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ May 5 2010, 11:17 PM)
Hey WAW...nice to meet you! Welcome! bekloppt.gif

Been a fan since Signals...The shows this summer will be #23 and #24

(your screen name is familiar, have i seen you on other sites?)

I'm not sure how many ppl have that nick, but I'm "Wide-Angle Watcher" on Counterparts. It was originally part of my title during the "Board War" between TRI-net and CP. smile.gif

Someone on TRI-net had intimated that members of CP were sewer rats, so many CP members adopted custom titles with "Rat" references. Mine was "Wide-Angle Watcher of Rats' Ancient Tails"... biggrin.gif

Fan since '89, but didn't get to a show until VT tour in 2002. Seen 8 shows, 9 and 10 coming up this year 653.gif

2002 W. Palm Beach: Coral Sky Amphitheatre

2002 Atlanta: Philips Arena

2004 Tampa: Ford Amphitheatre (where some a-hole threw a plastic bottle at me for standing up... lazy bum, this isn't a ballet recital)

2004 Charlotte

2007 Tampa: Ford Amphitheatre (this time was in the back row of sec. 201.. so I guess no lazy bums were close enough to chuck anything at me)

2007 W Palm Beach: Sound Advice Amphitheatre (What's in a name? tongue.gif closest seat ever.. 4th row in front of Alex 1022.gif )

2008 Orlando

2008 Jacksonville: Veterans Memorial Arena

Time Machine:

Oct. 1 Tampa: Ford Amphitheatre

Oct. 2 W Palm Beach: Cruzan Amphitheatre (Is this entire arena in the witness protection program?)

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 5 2010, 01:22 PM)
welcome. I have been a fan of Rush since 1982, but haven't been to that many concerts.

Power Windows - April 22, 1986 - Greensboro Coliseum, NC

Hold Your Fire - January 15, 1988 - Reynolds Coliseum, Raleigh, NC

Roll The Bones - March 7, 1992 - Dean Smith Center, Chapel Hill, NC

Vapor Trails - June 28, 2002 - Hartford, CT
October 28, 2002 TD Bank Garden, Boston, MA

Snakes and Arrows - June 2007- Walnut Creek Amphitheatre, Raleigh, NC

Fellow North Carolinian??

QUOTE (tangy @ May 5 2010, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ May 5 2010, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ May 5 2010, 01:52 PM)
I have seen Styx a few times but it wasn't Tommy Shaw that night in San Diego.  Damn, I can't remember.... I'm am looking for my ticket stub to see if it says.  It might have been The Micheal Shcenker Group.  I don't know where I came up with Matchbox 20.  If anybody knows who opened on Feb. 3, 1988 @ San Diego Sports Arena.....Do tell

Mr. Big maybe? Blue Oyster Cult? I saw them open for Rush around that time.

Y & T opened some shows too.

Might have been Eric Johnson as well.

QUOTE (PennSt8r @ May 11 2010, 07:42 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ May 5 2010, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ May 5 2010, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ May 5 2010, 01:52 PM)
I have seen Styx a few times but it wasn't Tommy Shaw that night in San Diego.  Damn, I can't remember.... I'm am looking for my ticket stub to see if it says.  It might have been The Micheal Shcenker Group.  I don't know where I came up with Matchbox 20.  If anybody knows who opened on Feb. 3, 1988 @ San Diego Sports Arena.....Do tell

Mr. Big maybe? Blue Oyster Cult? I saw them open for Rush around that time.

Y & T opened some shows too.

Might have been Eric Johnson as well.

You know, PennSt8r, Eric Johnson does ring a bell, kinda like your avatar. I know it wasn't Shaw, I can't believe it was MSG ( I love early Scorpions and would have remembered Schenker). Until someone says "I was there, it was....", I might have to go with EJ. Thanks

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ May 5 2010, 01:14 PM)
Presto -- 6/29/90 -- Irvine Meadows Amphitheater, Irvine, CA -- no opening act

This was my second Rush show (first was 4/2/90 at the Forum in L.A.)

There was an opening act at this show. It was Mr. Big

I saw the LA Forum show in 1988, just a day (or two?) after your San Diego Show. Tommy Shaw opened at the Forum, for what it's worth.

And I concur with the Irvine 1990. I was there too and Mr Big opened that show.

The upcoming LA show will be my 9th Rush show.

The previous 8:

HYF - LA Forum 2/4/88

Presto - LA Forum 4/2/90 and Irvine 6/29/90

Roll the Bones - St Pete FL 2/29/92, and Irvine 6/3/92

Counterparts - LA Forum 2/3/94

Vapor Trails - Irvine 9/28/02

Snakes & Arrows - Hollywood Bowl 7/23/07

We missed the TFE and R30 tours due to financial woes. Trying to make up for that now. smile.gif

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

QUOTE (AgentScotty @ May 9 2010, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ May 5 2010, 11:17 PM)
Hey WAW...nice to meet you!  Welcome! bekloppt.gif

Been a fan since Signals...The shows this summer will be #23 and #24

(your screen name is familiar, have i seen you on other sites?)

I'm not sure how many ppl have that nick, but I'm "Wide-Angle Watcher" on Counterparts. It was originally part of my title during the "Board War" between TRI-net and CP. smile.gif

Someone on TRI-net had intimated that members of CP were sewer rats, so many CP members adopted custom titles with "Rat" references. Mine was "Wide-Angle Watcher of Rats' Ancient Tails"... biggrin.gif

must be you then...was thinking of the RUSHCON message board...is that you too?

It was definitely Tommy Shaw. That was my first Rush show and I'm positive he was the opener. In fact, here's a link from that day's Los Angeles Times that confirms it:

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-02-03/entertainment/ca-27206_1_san-diego-sports-arena

MikeB

Thanks for the help on figuring out who opened up for Rush 1988 @ San Diego. I just don't remember it being MSG or Shaw. Usually when a archive site doesn't list the opener it is because their either wasn't one or the local venue or promoter provided the band to fill in for the night because of the other warm-up bands scheduling conflicts. I've seen last minute 'fill-ins' before for other probable opening acts. Still........ I want to know, for sure, who opened that night. When did Matchbox Twenty form? Maybe my memory is not as bad as I think it is. I love MSG ( Micheal Schenker Group), I am just not ready to say I saw them that night. Damn memory, damn beer, etc.

Interesting first post. Dug up a 3 year old thread :-)

I was trying to assemble a list of every show I've ever seen and was trying to figure out who I saw Steve Morse open for in San Diego in the late-'80s (I still don't know) and my googling led me to this thread. I thought, what the hell, I'd sign up and definitively answer the question.

I'm on a mind melting 6 shows...

12/04/1992 - Birmingham NEC

17/04/1992 - Wembley Arena

18/04/1992 - Wembley Arena

08/09/2004 - Wembley Arena

25/05/2011 - O2 Arena

28/05/2013 - Sheffield Arena

I was trying to assemble a list of every show I've ever seen and was trying to figure out who I saw Steve Morse open for in San Diego in the late-'80s (I still don't know) and my googling led me to this thread. I thought, what the hell, I'd sign up and definitively answer the question.

If your first show was in 1986, it may have been Steve Morse that opened.

If your first show was in 1986, it may have been Steve Morse that opened.

Thanks, but it was definitely '88.