Peter Steele R.I.P.

Deathbass89

For those of you who don't know, Peter Steele was the vox/bassist of the metal band, Type O Negative from my home state New York. Type O Negative was always a special band for me for they were one of my first forays into metal. The first record I heard from them is October Rust and it's still as brilliant as when I heard it for the first time. I've never seen them in concert either although I did get the drummer, John Kelly's autograph. This is a very sad day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew9Rb1BrMAU

I met him in a Brooklyn bar with Slacker and Necro in 06. He was a really cool guy. Necro is a huge fan, and he was a friend to Slacker. R.I.P. Pete. sad.gif rose.gif

wow! ohmy.gif He was in Celtic Frost, no? (and type o).

so young. its a shame.

RIP Peter Steele! rose.gif

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Apr 15 2010, 10:23 AM)
Carnivore was awesome. RIP Pete.

yes.gif I read this today. Very nice guy. I would see him everywhere at shows

rip rose.gif

QUOTE (Deathbass89 @ Apr 15 2010, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (librarian @ Apr 15 2010, 10:14 AM)
wow! ohmy.gif  He was in Celtic Frost, no? (and type o).
so young. its a shame.

RIP Peter Steele!  rose.gif

Nah, the only other bands he was in was Carnivore and Fallout.

oops.gif I stand corrected. Thank you Deathbass89, Carnivore - I knew he was in another band. My husband listens to many of those bands - that's all I hear coming out of the garage.

Holy crap he was way to young!

He was a very talented guy. While I would say that the average Type O Negative album doesn't have a pile of awesome songs on each, I would also say a handful of their songs are amongst the best mellow Gothic metal songs of all time.

Also there will be zillions of devastated goth and metal chicks around the world today. For whatever reason Peter was absolutely worshiped by metal chicks.

This is a mellower track from Type O and a bit of a "chick song" but probably my favorite for his Peter's vocals:

YouTube: Type O Negative - Love you to Death

Rest in peace big guy!

The news today, that Pete Steele died has hit me like a ton of bricks. I can't believe we've lost such a great guy and outstanding talent. Type O Negative brought me back from a time when I'd turned my back on metal (briefly). The first time I heard Christian Woman, I was BLOWN AWAY.

That sound. His distorted bass and that incredibly DEEP voice, and the lyrics that left you really thinking. When all that was being pushed down our throats was bullshit "ALTERNATIVE" from suicidal bitches like Cobain and other bullshit from the "Seatlle Scene", Type O offered a back to basics, slow, driving, HEAVY METAL that was SORELY missed ... and I definitely NEEDED. I became an instant fan and turned into a long time fan that has stood by them through all the ups and downs. And will CONTINUE to do so.

While I was employed at Denny's, one night, as I was about to actually leave... Pete Steele came walking in. I couldn't believe my eyes. I don't get star struck very often, but I decided not to punch out and I told the waitress at the counter that I was taking her station for THIS guy. LOL I had just seen them at Crocodile Rocks a few weeks earlier in Allentown, with my good friends, Tony and Frank Cutrona. I took his order and then smiled and said that I'd seen them and of course that they had SUCKED. He laughed and said, in that unbelievably deep voice of his... "I'm sure we did". LOL We then began to chat about all kinds of things. He didn't seem to care at all that I was bothering him. He was very gracious and took a cell phone photo with me and signed an autograph on the back of the check, which I kept and had laminated. LOL

Years later, while on THE RUSH FORUM, a man most of you know, SlackA, told me that he'd noticed that I'd spoken of Type O Negative in some posts, and that he was good friends with them. He asked if I wanted to come out to Brooklyn and meet them. I was like... yeah... sure. LOL But he was totally sincere and talked me into going out there to see a side project that Johnny Kelley was in, Earl's Court. I went out and met SlackA and became great friends with him. Over the years we've become as close as any "real" friends can be. He introduced me to Johnny, and I had a phenomenal time. Sadly, Pete didn't show up that night, but the night was still amazing.

Then SlackA informed me of another gig of Earl's Court. I didn't care if the guys from Type O would be there or not. I wanted to go see my buddy again and have a great time at THE TAMAQUA. We were also meeting another guy from The Rush Forum, TICK. So before leaving, I already knew that it was going to be another awesome night.

While we were jamming to the sounds of Led Zeppelin, as done by Earl's Court, I looked over to the entrance and this GIANT of a man, with immensely long black hair came strolling in. The crowd seemed to just part for him. He was greeted with tons of handshakes and lots of backslaps on his leather jacket. I was feeling that star struck feeling again, that I DESPISE. LOL He started walking directly toward us. I reached out my hand and introduced myself and he shook my hand and told me who he was. I laughed. I said I know, that I had been a fan for years. He questioned my sanity and then smiled and said thanks. z7shysterical.gif

During the set, he talked to me and Tick for extended periods. Telling us of his dream to combine Bluegrass and hardcore and call it BlueCore. laugh.gif He was such a regular guy. He even AIR GUITARED along with us as we all jammed to the amazing Led Zeppelin songs that Earl's Court was playing so incredibly.

Later, SlackA came over and re-introduced us to Pete as his friends. Pete said something like he thought that we were HIS friends now anyway. I thought that was so cool. Throughout the night, he'd come over and shoot the shit with us and pose for pictures. Not at all stuck up or being a "rock star". It was the absolute BEST experience I've ever had with meeting a famous musician. He even brought his guitarist, Kenny Hickey, over to hang out too. Kenny and Johnny are also amazing guys, by the way.

Anyway... we were about the last people to leave that night. He shook my hand once again, and told me to make sure to come backstage at the next show. I've taken CeeJ to see them twice, but never infringed on that invite. I really wish I had. I thought I'd see them at least twenty more times. Halloween will be very empty this year without Pete and Type O Negative. sad.gif

I felt bad when Randy died. When Dime was murdered, I wanted to die. But I KNEW Pete. Maybe only through brief meetings, but I really enjoyed both those times immensely. This SUCKS. I can't begin to tell you how I feel. My heart goes out to all his family and friends, and the musicians that shared the stage with him. RIP PETE STEELE!!! You will be sorely missed.

rose.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2010, 04:55 PM)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs242.snc1/8919_152834211655_589516655_2874601_5743186_n.jpg

Me, Tick and SlackA with Pete Steele at the Tamaqua. Awesome night.

that is sad. At least you have some awesome memories!

RIP

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2010, 07:49 PM)
The news today, that Pete Steele died has hit me like a ton of bricks. I can't believe we've lost such a great guy and outstanding talent. Type O Negative brought me back from a time when I'd turned my back on metal (briefly). The first time I heard Christian Woman, I was BLOWN AWAY.

That sound. His distorted bass and that incredibly DEEP voice, and the lyrics that left you really thinking. When all that was being pushed down our throats was bullshit "ALTERNATIVE" from suicidal bitches like Cobain and other bullshit from the "Seatlle Scene", Type O offered a back to basics, slow, driving, HEAVY METAL that was SORELY missed ... and I definitely NEEDED. I became an instant fan and turned into a long time fan that has stood by them through all the ups and downs. And will CONTINUE to do so.

While I was employed at Denny's, one night, as I was about to actually leave... Pete Steele came walking in. I couldn't believe my eyes. I don't get star struck very often, but I decided not to punch out and I told the waitress at the counter that I was taking her station for THIS guy. LOL I had just seen them at Crocodile Rocks a few weeks earlier in Allentown, with my good friends, Tony and Frank Cutrona. I took his order and then smiled and said that I'd seen them and of course that they had SUCKED. He laughed and said, in that unbelievably deep voice of his... "I'm sure we did". LOL We then began to chat about all kinds of things. He didn't seem to care at all that I was bothering him. He was very gracious and took a cell phone photo with me and signed an autograph on the back of the check, which I kept and had laminated. LOL

Years later, while on THE RUSH FORUM, a man most of you know, SlackA, told me that he'd noticed that I'd spoken of Type O Negative in some posts, and that he was good friends with them. He asked if I wanted to come out to Brooklyn and meet them. I was like... yeah... sure. LOL But he was totally sincere and talked me into going out there to see a side project that Johnny Kelley was in, Earl's Court. I went out and met SlackA and became great friends with him. Over the years we've become as close as any "real" friends can be. He introduced me to Johnny, and I had a phenomenal time. Sadly, Pete didn't show up that night, but the night was still amazing.

Then SlackA informed me of another gig of Earl's Court. I didn't care if the guys from Type O would be there or not. I wanted to go see my buddy again and have a great time at THE TAMAQUA. We were also meeting another guy from The Rush Forum, TICK. So before leaving, I already knew that it was going to be another awesome night.

While we were jamming to the sounds of Led Zeppelin, as done by Earl's Court, I looked over to the entrance and this GIANT of a man, with immensely long black hair came strolling in. The crowd seemed to just part for him. He was greeted with tons of handshakes and lots of backslaps on his leather jacket. I was feeling that star struck feeling again, that I DESPISE. LOL He started walking directly toward us. I reached out my hand and introduced myself and he shook my hand and told me who he was. I laughed. I said I know, that I had been a fan for years. He questioned my sanity and then smiled and said thanks. z7shysterical.gif

During the set, he talked to me and Tick for extended periods. Telling us of his dream to combine Bluegrass and hardcore and call it BlueCore. laugh.gif He was such a regular guy. He even AIR GUITARED along with us as we all jammed to the amazing Led Zeppelin songs that Earl's Court was playing so incredibly.

Later, SlackA came over and re-introduced us to Pete as his friends. Pete said something like he thought that we were HIS friends now anyway. I thought that was so cool. Throughout the night, he'd come over and shoot the shit with us and pose for pictures. Not at all stuck up or being a "rock star". It was the absolute BEST experience I've ever had with meeting a famous musician. He even brought his guitarist, Kenny Hickey, over to hang out too. Kenny and Johnny are also amazing guys, by the way.

Anyway... we were about the last people to leave that night. He shook my hand once again, and told me to make sure to come backstage at the next show. I've taken CeeJ to see them twice, but never infringed on that invite. I really wish I had. I thought I'd see them at least twenty more times. Halloween will be very empty this year without Pete and Type O Negative. sad.gif

I felt bad when Randy died. When Dime was murdered, I wanted to die. But I KNEW Pete. Maybe only through brief meetings, but I really enjoyed both those times immensely. This SUCKS. I can't begin to tell you how I feel. My heart goes out to all his family and friends, and the musicians that shared the stage with him. RIP PETE STEELE!!! You will be sorely missed.

rose.gif

Well said Kenny. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2010, 07:55 PM)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs242.snc1/8919_152834211655_589516655_2874601_5743186_n.jpg

That night was outstanding! What a great memory. I miss those days at Bobby's. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2010, 11:55 PM)

I read this yesterday, and the first thing I thought was, "poor Necro, he'll be hurting".

It's a different kind of pain when a hero passes away.

You're in my thoughts Kenny, tick and Slacka.

RIP Pete rose.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2010, 06:55 PM)

Me, Tick and SlackA with Pete Steele at the Tamaqua.  Awesome night.

This was a great night and it is sad about Pete, I met Pete when i was about 18 yrs old many many years ago when he was with Fallout. All his friends are shocked and saddened by this horrible news... You will be missed old friend and the times i did share with you have always been filled with laughs and good times.... A Brooklyn legend Pete Steele.. R.I.P my Friend!!!!

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2010, 06:49 PM)

rose.gif

smile.gif

QUOTE (Deathbass89 @ Apr 15 2010, 09:36 AM)
For those of you who don't know, Peter Steele was the vox/bassist of the metal band, Type O Negative from my home state New York. Type O Negative was always a special band for me for they were one of my first forays into metal. The first record I heard from them is October Rust and it's still as brilliant as when I heard it for the first time. I've never seen them in concert either although I did get the drummer, John Kelly's autograph. This is a very sad day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew9Rb1BrMAU

Johnny is an old friend of mine.. I'll be sure to let him know that he has a very cool fan in TRF...

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 16 2010, 05:19 AM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2010, 11:55 PM)

Me, Tick and SlackA with Pete Steele at the Tamaqua.  Awesome night.

I read this yesterday, and the first thing I thought was, "poor Necro, he'll be hurting".

It's a different kind of pain when a hero passes away.

You're in my thoughts Kenny, tick and Slacka.

RIP Pete rose.gif

Thanks man. I am hurting, but I can't stop thinking about my friend Pam who's been going out with Pete for quite awhile now. He'd seemed to finally settle down and kicked his demons when this tragedy occurred. What shit. sad.gif

Archived