INSANE Ticket Prices

Echoes

Looks like some people don't get out much. wink.gif

$100+ prices are pretty standard for the better seats these days. I just checked some other upcoming Live Nation ticket prices in my area.

Eagles

$55.00 - $180.00

Tom Petty

$49.50 - $125.00

Carole King/James Taylor

$39.75 - $119.75

Styx/Kansas/Foreigner

$39.50 - $122.00

To the complainers, Rush isn't even coming to AZ so I'll be paying for a road trip to CA or NV. If they're coming to your city, you're already ahead of the game. And what about our friends outside the US and Canada?

BTW, I paid $17.50 for my first Rush concert (Power Windows), but I don't expect to pay that 25 years later. wink.gif Jeez, you now pay $15+ for a movie (IMAX 3D). confused13.gif

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Apr 12 2010, 06:33 PM)

you now pay $15+ for a movie (IMAX 3D). confused13.gif

Really ??? Holy crap, that tells you the last time i went to the movies laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 12 2010, 06:37 PM)

you now pay $15+ for a movie (IMAX 3D). confused13.gif

Really ??? Holy crap, that tells you the last time i went to the movies laugh.gif

same here. i haven't been to a movie in a very long time.

call me old fashioned but movies today really suck. ok back to complaining about rush tickets. laugh.gif

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Apr 12 2010, 05:33 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 12 2010, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 12 2010, 04:25 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Apr 12 2010, 04:21 PM)
All of you quit your pissing and moaning now.

I have to fly across a country, get a decent hotel for 3 or 4 nights, pay for my meals, buy merch, buy drinks, do other fun stuff and probably rent a car.

Total cost for guys like me in living in the hinterlands? A cool grand or more.

Is it worth it?

F\/CK YA!

1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

Not everyone has or can find a grand to spend on a show, though. It's awesome if you can..! Some people can fly to Paris from the States just to go to dinner and an evening show as well...but that's not me either. wink.gif tongue.gif

just for the record, if had money to blow, i wouldn't be flying to paris. tongue.gif

me neither. wink.gif

Paris is as gorgeous as the women that live there, I dunno what you guys are smokin.

I'd love to see Rush there, but I'm afraid my budget breaker to Holland last tour was about as far as I'll be going anytime soon.

1022.gif

Yeah, back in the 80s, you could see an arena show for under 20 bucks, but come on. Its not the bands fault for charging these prices. There are a lot of middle men involved with this type of business, and when you get to the level of Rush, thats just how it is. Its ridiculous blaming the band.

Not everyone can be like Fugazi. Who rock by the way.

Looks like some people don't get out much. wink.gif

$100+ prices are pretty standard for the better seats these days. I just checked some other upcoming Live Nation ticket prices in my area.

Eagles
$55.00 - $180.00

Tom Petty
$49.50 - $125.00

Carole King/James Taylor
$39.75 - $119.75

Styx/Kansas/Foreigner
$39.50 - $122.00

To the complainers, Rush isn't even coming to AZ so I'll be paying for a road trip to CA or NV. If they're coming to your city, you're already ahead of the game. And what about our friends outside the US and Canada?

BTW, I paid $17.50 for my first Rush concert (Power Windows), but I don't expect to pay that 25 years later. wink.gif Jeez, you now pay $15+ for a movie (IMAX 3D). confused13.gif

ALL overpriced! I would not pay $50.00 dollars to see any of these musicians and bands.

This "back in the day" basis for complaining is useless. Yeah sure, concerts may have been lower but so were:

Minimum Wage

Cost of Living Per Person

Inflation Rates

Cost of a Hotel

Jesus, yeah sure of course everything was cheaper back then! Hell you could get a Corvette for $25 000 in the 80s, but now they are around $50 000. Everything goes up in price by decade, and so does average income per citizen.

QUOTE (Alex @ Apr 12 2010, 07:09 PM)
This "back in the day" basis for complaining is useless. Yeah sure, concerts may have been lower but so were:

Minimum Wage
Cost of Living Per Person
Inflation Rates
Cost of a Hotel

Jesus, yeah sure of course everything was cheaper back then! Hell you could get a Corvette for $25 000 in the 80s, but now they are around $50 000. Everything goes up in price by decade, and so does average income per citizen.

Exactly.

My parents paid something like 30,000 for their first house back in 1960. And how bout gas prices?..All this shit ties in with one another.

Well there's a ceiling of reasonability. Just because others also charge that simply makes it relative...not a deal. I'm sure if the cheapest seat was $500 they'd still sell at 70% + maxinum capacity and some here would say it's well worth it. $1000 even. To some people $125 is nothing too...and that's fine if you're that person.

(then they bitch about a $10 movie...???). tongue.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 12 2010, 07:17 PM)
Porcupine Tree....$25 and I'm likely guaranteed to be front row. Best deal in "town"....still. wink.gif

Yeah, you can see great bands like PT for an affordable price. But Rush has had more commercial success, and it just stands to reason that they will be playing 10 or 15,000 seat arenas.

I still prefer club shows to arena ones, but its just the nature of the business.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Apr 12 2010, 07:21 PM)
Porcupine Tree....$25 and I'm likely guaranteed to be front row.  Best deal in "town"....still.  wink.gif

Yeah, you can see great bands like PT for an affordable price. But Rush has had more commercial success, and it just stands to reason that they will be playing 10 or 15,000 seat arenas.

I still prefer club shows to arena ones, but its just the nature of the business.

Yeah, I get that.

Anymore my favorite shows are club shows. Megadeth, Testament and Exodus just played two blocks from my house for $30. smile.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 12 2010, 07:24 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Apr 12 2010, 07:21 PM)
Porcupine Tree....$25 and I'm likely guaranteed to be front row.  Best deal in "town"....still.  wink.gif

Yeah, I get that.

Anymore my favorite shows are club shows. Megadeth, Testament and Exodus just played two blocks from my house for $30. smile.gif

One of the best small club shows i saw was Anthrax at like a 300 capacity club. Payed like 20 bucks. 1022.gif

I saw Dream Theater for six bucks in 1992 on the first leg of their first tour and it was incredible. They had amazing sound, performance was flawless (they were still young and hungry), and they had a nice light show with strobes and stuff. These days the bands I drum for usually get 10 bucks for tickets and I almost feel like I'm ripping people off at that price, but we don't control the ticket prices, the promoters do. sad.gif

Blame LiveNation!

Since they have signed these huge multi-million dollar tour deals with these big name artists (Jay-Z, Madonna, U2), the price of LN/TM tickets have soared! Basically, we are paying for them, not for Rush. Had these contracts not been offered, we would see more reasonable ticket prices we all can afford.

Read these links. This will help explain the costs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Nation

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/03/arts/music/03jayz.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21324512/

http://www.politickernj.com/max/37230/pasc...ation-contracts

Also, don't forget the LiveNation/TicketMaster merger:

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/01/doj...-nation-merger/

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/02/live-nation-tic/

Again, blame LiveNation, they are at the center of all this!

No question I'm getting tickets.

But I still feel entitled to bitch about the inconvenience fees.

Kozmo,

While LiveNation certainly is a factor, the band has considerable influence on ticket prices. It's their show. And they don't tour to break even. Touring is phenomenally expensive and so is a concert with the level of production they have. Combine this with low record sales, audience demand and band tenure, and you have high ticket prices.

Just do it.

At the State Fair in St. Paul MN., the top ticket price is $70.00. You won't here me complain!

Yeah, I totally understand. I just got a little passionate xD

My beef is of course not with the boys. I see my Dad's ticket stubs from the 70's and 80's and I just cant believe how out of control it has gotten.

Another example would be Roger Waters. He's touring The Wall this year and the dates were announced today. Highest price? $250 <:U

1. Many dont buy music anymore, so touring is the primary way to generate income.

2. People are willing to pay . . .

3. Atleast tics are not in the price range of U2 who btw were auctioning off tics for up to 2k a seat. As a matter of fact in Houston that was the ONLY way to get the primo seats.

4. Everyone and his cousin from all over the US can buy seats and re sell them.

5. Lastly, a lot of the older bands get away with this as they wont be around much longer . . . . . and there is no replacement for the music of their generation put out. Once they are gone.. its all over.

So, compared to what some other bands are charging (such as U2) these prices are lower...