INSANE Ticket Prices

Echoes

Well yes, Rush is going to be lower than U2, naturally. They also put twice as many people into a venue too and are far more popular and well known for their singles across the globe. Similarly Porcupine Tree charges far less than even Rush for the same reason...because they're not nearly the draw.

$250 for Roger Waters. Wow. Imagine if PF actually toured again WITH Roger Waters. $500..? $750? $1000?

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 13 2010, 07:09 AM)
Well yes, Rush is going to be lower than U2, naturally. They also put twice as many people into a venue too and are far more popular and well known for their singles across the globe. Similarly Porcupine Tree charges far less than even Rush for the same reason...because they're not nearly the draw.

$250 for Roger Waters. Wow. Imagine if PF actually toured again WITH Roger Waters. $500..? $750? $1000?

Are you kidding me? I just agreed to take my gf to see Roger in October! doh.gif

QUOTE (Kozmo4Rush @ Apr 12 2010, 08:19 PM)
Blame LiveNation!

Since they have signed these huge multi-million dollar tour deals with these big name artists (Jay-Z, Madonna, U2), the price of LN/TM tickets have soared! Basically, we are paying for them, not for Rush. Had these contracts not been offered, we would see more reasonable ticket prices we all can afford.

Read these links. This will help explain the costs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Nation

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/03/arts/music/03jayz.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21324512/

http://www.politickernj.com/max/37230/pasc...ation-contracts

Also, don't forget the LiveNation/TicketMaster merger:

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/01/doj...-nation-merger/

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/02/live-nation-tic/

Again, blame LiveNation, they are at the center of all this!

It makes me sick to my stomach that my last band played events for live nation. I wish I could take it back. A total monopoly even the top-grossing bands can't circumvent... 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Apr 13 2010, 07:27 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 13 2010, 07:09 AM)
Well yes, Rush is going to be lower than U2, naturally.  They also put twice as many people into a venue too and are far more popular and well known for their singles across the globe.  Similarly Porcupine Tree charges far less than even Rush for the same reason...because they're not nearly the draw. 

$250 for Roger Waters.  Wow.  Imagine if PF actually toured again WITH Roger Waters.  $500..?  $750?  $1000?

Are you kidding me? I just agreed to take my gf to see Roger in October! doh.gif

I'd love to see him too...for something more reasonable. wink.gif

Yeah...both Floyd and Zeppelin missed huge pay days. On one hand I respect and admire them turning down crazy lucrative offers and on the other hand I think they're all a bit whacky. tongue.gif

Hi Presto,

If Led Zeppelin went back on tour, it probably would be the biggest gross ever. Their market would be tremendous, because baby boomer management types would pay high dollar amounts for floor seats (or their equivalent), and they could sell thousands of nosebleeds for $100 each.

I did see Pink Floyd in the '90's. Definitely theatrical, but Rush brings something no other bands can--they blend all the elements of a magical concert together, without getting lost in lights or effects. It's powerful and balanced--and there is no way Floyd matches the energy or sweat-pounding effort as Rush.

QUOTE (RushRebel65 @ Apr 12 2010, 10:45 PM)
At the State Fair in St. Paul MN., the top ticket price is $70.00. You won't here me complain!

plus a day at the great minnesota get together with everything on a stick how can you go wrong

QUOTE (toonz @ Apr 12 2010, 05:38 PM)
QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Apr 12 2010, 03:49 PM)
QUOTE (AVman9 @ Apr 12 2010, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 12 2010, 02:31 PM)
No shit.  $21/ticket?  Pisses me off more than anything about the ticket prices.
And this is a monopoly.  Last I checked, those weren't legal.

Yep. There's only two kids on the block: Ticketmaster and Livenation. It does seem rather shady, doesn't it?

My mother had mentioned that she saw a show on the Permanent Waves tour and paid less than 15 bucks for the ticket. Makes me rage real hard.

IMO, that's not really a fair comparison. Shows today aren't what they used to be. Technology has come so far in the last 20 years that the quality of the shows just gets better & better. The sound, the lighting, the effects, the whole production (not to mention, the music) is incredibly advanced and all of that cool stuff comes with a price.

When you used to pay $15 for a ticket, you usually got a $15 show - which was OK because we didn't know any different. Hell, I remember $8.00 concert tickets, but I also remember that the sound was horrible and they were using converted industrial lighting onstage that would scorch a musician if he got too close.

These days, you have to decide for yourself if the cost of a ticket is worth experiencing 3+ hours of top of the line sight & sound entertainment. Personally, when it comes to Rush, I think that it is.

That's what I was waiting for someone to post. If RUSH or anyband came out with equipment from 1984 and toured with it and charged more than 20 bucks, I'd have a fit as well. I can't begin to guess what it costs for RUSH to put on the entire tour, much less one show. That's why you see more sponsers for tours. They pick up a chunk of the production costs and toss some money the bands way. Personally, I wouldn't go see a show if it was just the music and a few lights. I want the whole production. Otherwise, I can sit at home and listen to my CD's and hold color plastic in front of a flashlight....

If the prices are too high, get a cheaper seat or just don't go. I choose to spend my money on a concert like this. I'm not rich by any means, but it's worth it to me.

It sounds like most of you are pulling every justification possible for purchasing these exorbitant tickets. A fan of Rush I am.. but not a sucker.

QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Apr 13 2010, 08:43 AM)
Hi Presto,

If Led Zeppelin went back on tour, it probably would be the biggest gross ever. Their market would be tremendous, because baby boomer management types would pay high dollar amounts for floor seats (or their equivalent), and they could sell thousands of nosebleeds for $100 each.

I did see Pink Floyd in the '90's. Definitely theatrical, but Rush brings something no other bands can--they blend all the elements of a magical concert together, without getting lost in lights or effects. It's powerful and balanced--and there is no way Floyd matches the energy or sweat-pounding effort as Rush.

I agree with that. But there would simply be far more demand for tickets is all with Floyd. That's an EVENT the likes of which no Rush show is to the average person.

And yes, I agree that all things relative Rush isn't a bad deal on that level alone. a ) You don't have some opening shmuck ass band no one gives a toss about....and b ) they play for upwards of 2.5 hours total. They certainly don't go through any motions. You get your money's worth relative to the effort and music that comes from the show...no doubt.

It's still the NOTION of what concerts cost as a principle item...the price of which far exceeds normal inflation. Someone earlier (about 423 pages back) said that going to a ROCK SHOW shouldn't be a luxury item (or akin to a car payment)...and I agree with that. I think that about sports events too.

For instance, all things relative I think Peyton Manning deserves to be amongst the highest paid athletes in the world because I think, like Rush, he's about as dedicated and hard working as there is an athlete...and will always give you his best and most earnest effort . That said, do I think ANY athlete is worth $30 million dollars a season though and $125 million signing bonus? Do I think any week 3 game lower deck seat is worth $300 to support said overpaid athelete...? No. No, I don't.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 13 2010, 09:29 AM)
No shit.  $21/ticket?  Pisses me off more than anything about the ticket prices.

Yep. There's only two kids on the block: Ticketmaster and Livenation. It does seem rather shady, doesn't it?

My mother had mentioned that she saw a show on the Permanent Waves tour and paid less than 15 bucks for the ticket. Makes me rage real hard.

IMO, that's not really a fair comparison. Shows today aren't what they used to be. Technology has come so far in the last 20 years that the quality of the shows just gets better & better. The sound, the lighting, the effects, the whole production (not to mention, the music) is incredibly advanced and all of that cool stuff comes with a price.

When you used to pay $15 for a ticket, you usually got a $15 show - which was OK because we didn't know any different. Hell, I remember $8.00 concert tickets, but I also remember that the sound was horrible and they were using converted industrial lighting onstage that would scorch a musician if he got too close.

These days, you have to decide for yourself if the cost of a ticket is worth experiencing 3+ hours of top of the line sight & sound entertainment. Personally, when it comes to Rush, I think that it is.

That's what I was waiting for someone to post. If RUSH or anyband came out with equipment from 1984 and toured with it and charged more than 20 bucks, I'd have a fit as well. I can't begin to guess what it costs for RUSH to put on the entire tour, much less one show. That's why you see more sponsers for tours. They pick up a chunk of the production costs and toss some money the bands way. Personally, I wouldn't go see a show if it was just the music and a few lights. I want the whole production. Otherwise, I can sit at home and listen to my CD's and hold color plastic in front of a flashlight....

If the prices are too high, get a cheaper seat or just don't go. I choose to spend my money on a concert like this. I'm not rich by any means, but it's worth it to me.

It sounds like most of you are pulling every justification possible for purchasing these exorbitant tickets. A fan of Rush I am.. but not a sucker.

I think that we're merely pointing out some reasons why ticket prices might seem high to some. Most people don't understand what is involved in putting on the type of show that Rush does. So, a brief explanation might help justify the cost.

As far as others being suckers for buying them (as you implied), I don't really think that's accurate. I mean, for whatever reason, you don't feel that the show is worth it - no biggie. You just have a different level of financial justification than others. That doesn't make them suckers - it just means that in their minds, an evening with Rush is worth the cost of the ticket and they're willing & able to pay it.

On the S&A tour, I almost plopped $600 for 2 tickets in the front sections- so I guess $200 a piece may not be too bad, as long as they are decent seats...

Crossing my fingers for decent seats...

Sorry- that should say plopped DOWN $600...

Edited by socket462

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Apr 13 2010, 11:16 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 13 2010, 09:29 AM)

I think that we're merely pointing out some reasons why ticket prices might seem high to some. Most people don't understand what is involved in putting on the type of show that Rush does. So, a brief explanation might help justify the cost.

As far as others being suckers for buying them (as you implied), I don't really think that's accurate. I mean, for whatever reason, you don't feel that the show is worth it - no biggie. You just have a different level of financial justification than others. That doesn't make them suckers - it just means that in their minds, an evening with Rush is worth the cost of the ticket and they're willing & able to pay it.

I really didn't mean to imply that you others are suckers, but its more of how Rush envisions the vast majority of their fanbase. I find it shameless that Rush is charging the prices they are in light of the economic situation. Many supportive Rush fans won't be able to attend the show due to this fact. And its completely naive to say they have no control over ticket prices. They've turned into hardcore businessmen and have done something else with artistic integrity.

^^ I think I'll choose to remain an ignorant sucker and believe Rush *(themselves) wouldn't do that to us. ^^

It has always been about business. Prices are not related to artistic integrity. The market will bear these prices because fans will buy their tickets. They do very well, and are entitled to. "Artistic Integrity" means nothing in the real world. They have the luxury of choice--and yes, the band largely determines what to charge.

QUOTE (limbo @ Apr 12 2010, 06:48 AM)
you should go to the minnesota state fair then the highest price before fees is $70 plus $12 to get into the fair so that you can walk over to the grand stand

$81.43, plus the $12 to get in to the fair.

$93.00 total for the most expensive.

However the food and beer is very expensive, I'm planning a $200 day and if I go home with some left it will be good.

QUOTE (SlackJaw Gazer @ Apr 13 2010, 12:37 PM)
For 2 Row 15 Tix at Red Rocks

$221.00 USD Tix
$3.50 USD Shipping
$24.40 USD Service Fee
$248.90 USD Total

For 2 tickets... not toooo bad, probably the best outdoor venue in the USA.

15th row is a great

QUOTE (SlackJaw Gazer @ Apr 13 2010, 12:37 PM)
For 2 Row 15 Tix at Red Rocks

$221.00 USD Tix
$3.50 USD Shipping
$24.40 USD Service Fee
$248.90 USD Total

Thats criminal. No wonder neil bought an aston martin after that tour. They're robbing us, and we're willing to pay it.

I saw dave matthews up front at giants stadium. Bigger place, far bigger band than rush ever was, and certainly way more popular than rush is right now, 2 tix cost me $150.

Edited by trenken

I just got them!

23rd row in Section 1 at the Marcus in Milwaukee July 3rd!!!! I'll be guy in the Hemispheres pajamas!!

$158 for two tickets- add in fees and it comes to $183.10.

I dont think these prices are too bad-- I spent over $200 last time I saw them there in 2007!! Of course.. VIP's will be MUCH more.. they don't see

them available yet.. we will see.

In 2007 I bought 2 more tickets (for better view) and sold the extra pair on Ebay for a tiny profit-- about $20 bucks.. smile.gif

Can't wait for July...

Dave

Edited by socket462

Trenken,

Really? Why do you allow yourself to be "robbed?" No one is forcing you to do anything. Stay at home then.

DMB appeals more to high school and college kids who just want to get wasted. Different audience, different band. It's not about being "bigger," it's about demographics. Chevy is "bigger" than Aston Martin.

Sounds like sour grapes to me...

QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Apr 13 2010, 01:10 PM)
Trenken,

Really? Why do you allow yourself to be "robbed?" No one is forcing you to do anything. Stay at home then.

DMB appeals more to high school and college kids who just want to get wasted. Different audience, different band. It's not about being "bigger," it's about demographics. Chevy is "bigger" than Aston Martin.

Sounds like sour grapes to me...

I agree- Although I am a big DMB fan myself-- I still don't even put them in the same category-- come on..

Its like comparing a 2010 Ford Fusion to a '71 Dodge Challenger... not even in the same class.

Also-- I would NOT pay $150 for 2 DMB tickets.. never! But I would pay any amount for Rush tickets- up to $649.32 ( my checking balance as of this minute).. lol.. I get paid next week- so that amount will likely go up if it needs to!

My 2 cents--

Dave