INSANE Ticket Prices

Echoes

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Apr 12 2010, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 12 2010, 03:31 PM)
QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Apr 12 2010, 03:27 PM)
I still don't understand why NOTHING has been done about Ticketbastard's outrageous, made-up service fees. Seriously, it's absolutely ridiculous how much the try to steal with each ticket the sell.

No shit. $21/ticket? Pisses me off more than anything about the ticket prices.

And this is a monopoly. Last I checked, those weren't legal.

Everything is legal if you have money!!

I have one question for everyone complaining. Which of you aren't going to go? Probably not very many of you. Most of you will bitch and moan and pony up anyway because you can't or won't do without. As long as everyone keeps paying, the prices will continue to stay high and climb higher. Get used to it.

Not sure, but I tell you, it starts becoming a matter of choosing your babies. Back in the 80s I'd go as often as I wanted to. NOW for me (and a spouse) to go also means traveling (usually 3-5 hours for a good show at least), probably staying the night somewhere, two tickets, etc.

So point is, I probably can't go see Rush a couple times AND see Iron Maiden AND see this show and that, etc...(plus all the concerts she wants to go to as well). So you're left to choose your babies...and if you're like me, you don't like just one band and aren't satisfied with missing bands when they come through. I love Rush and want to see them as much as anyone else, but they're not the only thing I want/plan to do this year.

Edited by Presto-digitation

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of you quit your pissing and moaning now.

I have to fly across a country, get a decent hotel for 3 or 4 nights, pay for my meals, buy merch, buy drinks, do other fun stuff and probably rent a car.

Total cost for guys like me in living in the hinterlands? A cool grand or more.

Is it worth it?

F\/CK YA!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Apr 12 2010, 04:21 PM)

I have to fly across a country, get a decent hotel for 3 or 4 nights, pay for my meals, buy merch, buy drinks, do other fun stuff and probably rent a car.

Is it worth it?

F\/CK YA!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Not everyone has or can find a grand to spend on a show, though. It's awesome if you can..! Some people can fly to Paris from the States just to go to dinner and an evening show as well...but that's not me either. wink.gif tongue.gif

I remember when Counterparts tour tickets were around what 40 bucks and that was 94'. My friend had to get the tickets since it was sold out and his dad had season tickets with Washington Capitals. We still got pretty decent seats but there were not really all that near the floor.

they probably justify the higher prices by playing the "Evening with Rush" 3-hour concert. It seems like prices have been pretty steady ever since they started that format with the Test for Echo tour.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 12 2010, 04:25 PM)

Is it worth it?

F\/CK YA!

1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

Not everyone has or can find a grand to spend on a show, though. It's awesome if you can..! Some people can fly to Paris from the States just to go to dinner and an evening show as well...but that's not me either. wink.gif tongue.gif

just for the record, if had money to blow, i wouldn't be flying to paris. tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 12 2010, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 12 2010, 04:25 PM)

Is it worth it?

F\/CK YA!

just for the record, if had money to blow, i wouldn't be flying to paris. tongue.gif

me neither. wink.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 12 2010, 03:25 PM)

Is it worth it?

F\/CK YA!

I'm just sayin'.....could be alot worse.

100-120 bucks a ticket ain't that bad.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Apr 12 2010, 05:35 PM)

Is it worth it?

F\/CK YA!

No it is not, my friend

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Apr 12 2010, 04:35 PM)

Is it worth it?

F\/CK YA!

eating dinner in paris is worse than paying 100-120 for a ticket. rimshot.gif

Edited by ReflectedLight

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 12 2010, 03:41 PM)

eating dinner in paris is worse than paying 100-120 for a ticket. rimshot.gif

There are worse places than Paris.

I assume you've been?

Hey, the prices always suck... We always but the tickets... It's a good way for the band to make money... If you really want to rebel, then don't buy tickets and maybe you'll lower the prices for the rest of us.

We have to remember that it is a business. It is a business for the band, the venues and the promoters. The market will bear high prices because of demand. Rush can charge a lot because of their reputation, history and excellent show. Fans will pay.

Enough of the sour grapes and facile arguments.

Plan accordingly and enjoy the show. Or don't. Someone else will.

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Apr 12 2010, 03:49 PM)
QUOTE (AVman9 @ Apr 12 2010, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 12 2010, 02:31 PM)
No shit.  $21/ticket?  Pisses me off more than anything about the ticket prices.
And this is a monopoly.  Last I checked, those weren't legal.

Yep. There's only two kids on the block: Ticketmaster and Livenation. It does seem rather shady, doesn't it?

My mother had mentioned that she saw a show on the Permanent Waves tour and paid less than 15 bucks for the ticket. Makes me rage real hard.

IMO, that's not really a fair comparison. Shows today aren't what they used to be. Technology has come so far in the last 20 years that the quality of the shows just gets better & better. The sound, the lighting, the effects, the whole production (not to mention, the music) is incredibly advanced and all of that cool stuff comes with a price.

When you used to pay $15 for a ticket, you usually got a $15 show - which was OK because we didn't know any different. Hell, I remember $8.00 concert tickets, but I also remember that the sound was horrible and they were using converted industrial lighting onstage that would scorch a musician if he got too close.

These days, you have to decide for yourself if the cost of a ticket is worth experiencing 3+ hours of top of the line sight & sound entertainment. Personally, when it comes to Rush, I think that it is.

That's what I was waiting for someone to post. If RUSH or anyband came out with equipment from 1984 and toured with it and charged more than 20 bucks, I'd have a fit as well. I can't begin to guess what it costs for RUSH to put on the entire tour, much less one show. That's why you see more sponsers for tours. They pick up a chunk of the production costs and toss some money the bands way. Personally, I wouldn't go see a show if it was just the music and a few lights. I want the whole production. Otherwise, I can sit at home and listen to my CD's and hold color plastic in front of a flashlight....

If the prices are too high, get a cheaper seat or just don't go. I choose to spend my money on a concert like this. I'm not rich by any means, but it's worth it to me.

I think its safe to say that when you pay that much for Rush, its worth it. And I'm not saying that because they are my favourite, simply because I believe the price is reasonable for the show they put on. Other bands, not so much.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Apr 12 2010, 10:54 AM)
It's an outrage. They are looking for retirement money, it seems. This is criminal. Pittsburgh is not on sale yet but i looked at Chi-town and it's $125 for pavillion. Why??? I feel Punkd that I'm willing to reach that deep into my pockets. ESPECIALLY since they are not coming to Detroit after all the years of dedication and support we've given those cats! fing.gif

Man sounds like alot of whining here, skip this tour and hit the album release tour hard later.

For those who are able, think about driving to Milwaukee to see the boys. I just talked to somebody at the Summerfest ticket office and the most expensive ticket is $79 and that INCLUDES all the fees. Final price. With the exception of Clapton and Tom Petty, the other listed Summerfest acts are in the same price range. Before you say those acts may not be as popular as RUSH they are Carrie Underwood, Tim McGraw, Justin Bieber, Santana, Brooks and Dunn. Granted, not huge acts that I would spend money on, but large enough acts to compare with RUSH.

That's $15-$20 cheaper than the last time they were here in 08. I think the tickets are a bit cheaper at Summerfest because they can offset some of the cost because of the money generated from the festival.

Cool for me!

QUOTE (g under p @ Apr 12 2010, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Apr 12 2010, 10:54 AM)
It's an outrage. They are looking for retirement money, it seems. This is criminal. Pittsburgh is not on sale yet but i looked at Chi-town and it's $125 for pavillion.  Why???  I feel Punkd that I'm willing to reach that deep into my pockets. ESPECIALLY since they are not coming to Detroit after all the years of dedication and support we've given those cats! fing.gif

Man sounds like alot of whining here, skip this tour and hit the album release tour hard later.

Well, I've settled down a bit since this morning, but I thoroughly enjoyed weeping about ticket prices, but as other people pointed out it's not just Rush, it's just the way it is these days. 1000% increase in ticket prices over the last 26 years (look at my sig-pic) seems a little bit too much, but at the end of the day if there's any band worth the criminal concert prices of 2010 it would be Rush. You can thank illegal downloads for contributing to the lack of profitability of studio recording sales, which I'm sure has had a great impact on ticket prices skyrocketing in recent years, among other costs which Rush's management cannot hide from.

I suppose I'd rather not see old man Neil playing beats on 5-gallon buckets for "Looneys" on Yonge Street (in Toronto) in 2025 because we were too cheap to cough up the green to witness the greatest rock band of our time... wink.gif