NEIL PEART APPRECIATION THREAD!

rushgoober

An underrated aspect of Neil is his epic deep voice and conversational eloquence. I'm straight as an arrow, but it's a treat to listen to him speak in interviews or DVDs like A Work In Progress.

QUOTE (Alex @ Mar 28 2010, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (mankad89 @ Mar 28 2010, 05:07 PM)
I think Danny Carey of Tool is slightly better,

no.gif

I agree, but Simon Phillips is a better drummer than the great Professor.

By a hair.............

Neil Peart = Mortal God.

"We are only immortal for a limited time."

Neil is a much better writer than Simon...............

I see it didnt take long for the whole " so and so is better than neil" comments... laugh.gif

I love Neil for the drumming he lays down in Rush. I wouldnt want to see anyone else sititng on the stool drumming to Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Freewill etc..

Thanks Neil, for 35 years of genius! You are a true living Rock legend! trink39.gif

Re-listen to Open Secrets, paying close attention to Neil's drumming.

The interplay between the several main themes and his constant and tasteful fills is superbly crafted.

Not to mention the lyrics.

This is what makes Neil more than a one-trick pony like any of his successors who took one or two aspects and ran with it...

QUOTE (Alex @ Mar 28 2010, 06:46 PM)

no.gif

While I agree that he and Tool are fantastic, there would not likely be a Danney Carey without Neil. yes.gif

Neil, best drummer ever! yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Mar 29 2010, 10:25 AM)

no.gif

While I agree that he and Tool are fantastic, there would not likely be a Danney Carey without Neil. yes.gif

What's interesting is that if you go to Careys site, he doesn't list Neil as one of his influences..

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Mar 29 2010, 11:46 AM)

no.gif

What's interesting is that if you go to Careys site, he doesn't list Neil as one of his influences..

OK, but do we know for a fact that his influences were NOT inspired by Neil?

And really, it's not just Neil, Rush was on the forefront of the entire "progressive rock" genre.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Mar 29 2010, 09:54 AM)
Rush was on the forefront of the entire "progressive rock" genre.

This is debatable. King Crimson, Yes , Tull, Gabriel-era Genesis and others had already had their popularity peak by the time Rush even released their first album, let alone when they got big with 2112. Just saying.

But yes, wholehartedly agree with this thread. Neil doesn't owe us anything.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Mar 29 2010, 12:58 PM)

This is debatable. King Crimson, Yes , Tull, Gabriel-era Genesis and others had already had their popularity peak by the time Rush even released their first album, let alone when they got big with 2112. Just saying.

I think Neil Peart has a huge influence on more contemporary prog, but to say he was at the forefront of prog isn't correct as far as I'm concerned.

By the time the first Rush album with Neil came about in 1975, prog was already on it's way out as a popular genre. Prog soldiered on through the 70's and even beyond in often very altered form, but really the heyday was 1969-1975 or so.

Rush made their prog classics after most of the acknowledged 70's prog classics had already come and gone. The fact that they got away with it at all and were popular was definitely a testament to their talent.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 29 2010, 04:06 PM)

I think Neil Peart has a huge influence on more contemporary prog, but to say he was at the forefront of prog isn't correct as far as I'm concerned.

By the time the first Rush album with Neil came about in 1975, prog was already on it's way out as a popular genre. Prog soldiered on through the 70's and even beyond in often very altered form, but really the heyday was 1969-1975 or so.

Rush made their prog classics after most of the acknowledged 70's prog classics had already come and gone. The fact that they got away with it at all and were popular was definitely a testament to their talent.

Rush was not on the forefront of the entire "progressive rock" genre. They were simply influence by it, like so many other genres.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Mar 29 2010, 03:58 PM)

I'm talking in terms of album sales, not necessarily who was first.

Rush's albums of that period have outsold all others mentioned. That to me is a measure of influence, and what I mean by "forefront".

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Mar 29 2010, 12:54 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Mar 29 2010, 11:46 AM)

no.gif

OK, but do we know for a fact that his influences were NOT inspired by Neil?

And really, it's not just Neil, Rush was on the forefront of the entire "progressive rock" genre.

Im not disputing that Tool was most likely unfluenced by Rush somewhat, but Carey has never mentioned Neil as being an influence. He mentions Carl Palmer and Cobham, but no Neil. I just find it odd that hes never mentioned him as an influence on his playing, considering Tool is in the Prog Hard Rock/Metal category.

Neil rules. Made me want to play better since 1980

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 29 2010, 03:06 PM)

Good post. biggrin.gif Excellent, concise history lesson.

QUOTE (mankad89 @ Mar 28 2010, 06:41 PM)
An underrated aspect of Neil is his epic deep voice and conversational eloquence. I'm straight as an arrow, but it's a treat to listen to him speak in interviews or DVDs like A Work In Progress.

i thought i was the only one wub.gif

Archived