Neil shares insight into upcoming plans

Phantom

Most of us are joking around. Or are we?

Some yes, and that's cool. Legitimate criticism is fine. But people always come back with something like I'm telling them not to ever be critical. That's simply not true and I can make a whole list of things that I've been critical about if you want me to. The positives simply dwarf the negatives or I wouldn't waste my time with this or any other bands that I like. But some people are determined to focus on the negative and always be unhappy.

So, help me understand, the other day people were saying that people just want a tour and screw new music. Plus, I've learned from some of you guys that we evidently hated the fact that they played too much new music last time out. However, now that there might only be a couple new songs for the tour then it's simply a cash grab. Ok, got it. But, at the same time, I've read that Rush used to be proud of their music and would play most or all of it on their tours, and recently they don't. Ok, got it, if they play new music then they suck but if they don't play new music then they don't care about the fans.

If they play The Trees, Limelight, Red Barchetta, YYZ, etc. then it's "How many times do we have to hear these same songs? They don't care about the fans!" If they don't play those kinds of songs then people say "How could they play for 3 hours and not play Red Barchetta? They don't care about the fans!" Last tour it was "Natural Science again?!?! They just don't care." followed by "How could they have dropped La Villa Strangiato?!?! They just don't care." Ok, got it, if they play the same songs then they suck, but if they don't play them then they suck.

Let's see, in high school in the 1980s every Rush fan I knew hated that they had added so many keyboards and weren't a "real" rock band anymore. But now that they don't have them people want them. Got it, with keyboards they suck but without keyboards they suck.

"Rush always does the predictable, why can't they ever do something different?" So this decade they tried an acoustic set and people said real Rush wouldn't do that, they recorded a covers album and people bitched that Rush said they would never do that, they've played festivals and/or charity events and people bitched that Rush said they would never do that, they played on a late night TV show and people bitched that Rush said they would never do that. Rush sucks because they never do anything different but they suck if they do something they've never done before. People say it was neat that they used to premier new songs on tour before they recorded them, but now if they do it they suck. Got it.

If they don't play some favorite old song from the 1970s then they suck, but if they do play it then they suck anyway because Geddy won't use the same bass or doesn't sing it the same way. They suck.

If they record something that's different than what they've done in the past then they suck because they aren't the same band anymore but if they do something similar then it's because they've run out of ideas. Either way, they suck.

People bitch that they've got all this unreleased live stuff and that Rush would release it if they cared about the fans but whenever they release live stuff it's apparently just another money grab. They suck.

There's no point in going on since most won't even read all that but I guess you guys are right, they just plain suck. Maybe their tour bus will run off a cliff and we won't have to suffer those bastards any more. Oh wait, we'll still have to hope for something else bad to happen to Neil since he's too good to even ride the same bus with his own bandmates. Man, I hate those jackasses now. If they go on tour I'm going to take a bag of dog crap and throw it at them during the show. Yeah, cool.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 25 2010, 08:51 PM)

Some yes, and that's cool. Legitimate criticism is fine. But people always come back with something like I'm telling them not to ever be critical. That's simply not true and I can make a whole list of things that I've been critical about if you want me to. The positives simply dwarf the negatives or I wouldn't waste my time with this or any other bands that I like. But some people are determined to focus on the negative and always be unhappy.

So, help me understand, the other day people were saying that people just want a tour and screw new music. Plus, I've learned from some of you guys that we evidently hated the fact that they played too much new music last time out. However, now that there might only be a couple new songs for the tour then it's simply a cash grab. Ok, got it. But, at the same time, I've read that Rush used to be proud of their music and would play most or all of it on their tours, and recently they don't. Ok, got it, if they play new music then they suck but if they don't play new music then they don't care about the fans.

If they play The Trees, Limelight, Red Barchetta, YYZ, etc. then it's "How many times do we have to hear these same songs? They don't care about the fans!" If they don't play those kinds of songs then people say "How could they play for 3 hours and not play Red Barchetta? They don't care about the fans!" Last tour it was "Natural Science again?!?! They just don't care." followed by "How could they have dropped La Villa Strangiato?!?! They just don't care." Ok, got it, if they play the same songs then they suck, but if they don't play them then they suck.

Let's see, in high school in the 1980s every Rush fan I knew hated that they had added so many keyboards and weren't a "real" rock band anymore. But now that they don't have them people want them. Got it, with keyboards they suck but without keyboards they suck.

"Rush always does the predictable, why can't they ever do something different?" So this decade they tried an acoustic set and people said real Rush wouldn't do that, they recorded a covers album and people bitched that Rush said they would never do that, they've played festivals and/or charity events and people bitched that Rush said they would never do that, they played on a late night TV show and people bitched that Rush said they would never do that. Rush sucks because they never do anything different but they suck if they do something they've never done before. People say it was neat that they used to premier new songs on tour before they recorded them, but now if they do it they suck. Got it.

If they don't play some favorite old song from the 1970s then they suck, but if they do play it then they suck anyway because Geddy won't use the same bass or doesn't sing it the same way. They suck.

If they record something that's different than what they've done in the past then they suck because they aren't the same band anymore but if they do something similar then it's because they've run out of ideas. Either way, they suck.

People bitch that they've got all this unreleased live stuff and that Rush would release it if they cared about the fans but whenever they release live stuff it's apparently just another money grab. They suck.

There's no point in going on since most won't even read all that but I guess you guys are right, they just plain suck. Maybe their tour bus will run off a cliff and we won't have to suffer those bastards any more. Oh wait, we'll still have to hope for something else bad to happen to Neil since he's too good to even ride the same bus with his own bandmates. Man, I hate those jackasses now. If they go on tour I'm going to take a bag of dog crap and throw it at them during the show. Yeah, cool.

Woo...calm down!

I was joking with my "Rush sucks" and "Neil Peart sucks" posts.

You are right about how some fans react negatively to everything Rush does, no matter what it is. That's why I posted sarcastic replies agreeing with them - I don't take it seriously. If that makes sense...

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 25 2010, 07:51 PM)

What?

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 25 2010, 07:51 PM)

goodpost.gif

I`m a member of different music forums on the web (mostly metal), and this site is by far the worst when it comes to negativity, disrespect and borderline hate. I don`t get. If your sick and tired of the band, why don`t you just move on?

But hey, i`m a noob, what do i know, i just love the band.

Woo...calm down!

I was joking with my "Rush sucks" and "Neil Peart sucks" posts.

You are right about how some fans react negatively to everything Rush does, no matter what it is. That's why I posted sarcastic replies agreeing with them - I don't take it seriously. If that makes sense...

Oh I know, and my "overreacting" was also partially just playing along but there is some truth to what I said. There are a few posters though that think they've got the sarcasm/smartass market cornered and can only deal with it from the giving side in order to feel smarter. They're not. I'm not crying, the people I described are the ones constantly crying. Enjoy what's on offer from the band or find something else that makes you happy because for a lot of you, this ain't it.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 26 2010, 01:23 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 25 2010, 09:17 PM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/reedlover/gifs/a32bda59.gif

Get a Mac.

Good idea. The fanboi tears are wetting me through!

I`m a member of different music forums on the web (mostly metal), and this site is by far the worst when it comes to negativity, disrespect and borderline hate. I don`t get. If your sick and tired of the band, why don`t you just move on?

laugh.gif Don't ever go to the Counterparts forum, this place is practically nothing but cheerleading in comparison. And by the way, you know far more than most around here.

fanboi tears

Awesome, my prediction was no more than two posts before this word was used. That was too easy. Besides, I told you I wished death on them, is that not enough to escape that dreaded term?

this thread is full of epic fail. cheer up everyone, theres 6 new songs and they're gonna play Closer to the Heart next tour 

The new songs will suck and Closer to the Heart sucks! Where have you been? laugh.gif

I guess I'm going to have to start using some of these laughing and/or smirking icons more often. I thought that by wishing death on the band and swearing to throw dogshit on them that it would indicate that I wasn't being, you know, entirely serious. I guess I was wrong. The reality is that we'd probably all get along pretty well in person but it's just hard to communicate with someone you don't even know using only text without everyone getting the wrong idea sometimes.

You're right though, it will be fun. There's too much genuinely bad crap in life to not enjoy the stuff that's supposed to be fun, that's my only point. If I'm a fanboy then so be it. I've never understood the whole idea of insulting someone for really enjoying something but, whatever.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 25 2010, 08:44 PM)

laugh.gif Don't ever go to the Counterparts forum, this place is practically nothing but cheerleading in comparison. And by the way, you know far more than most around here.

Sweet Jebus, i just checked the Counterparts forum. Poor Rush, what a fanbase wacko.gif

Just to be clear: I don`t mind humor/sarcasms at all, but calling certain bandmembers dickheads and things like that, is just too much.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 25 2010, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 25 2010, 11:54 PM)
You've obviously never had a brother or sister.

Loved em to bits but we ripped the shit out of ech other constantly.

I have two sisters. I have never ripped the shit out of either one.

Well I guess that would be illegal, unless you're from Arkansas.

wink.gif

Or Vermont wink.gif

Well, "dickheads" is one of the nicer things I've seen over there. Perhaps they were in a good mood today. laugh.gif

A lot of what I wrote earlier was either over the top on purpose just to make a point or just a little back and forth cage rattling in the spirit of the thread.

To be completely serious though, when I see something like this thread/post by ADesignForRush I just think it's awesome:

6 months ago today (at this time too) I listened to my very first Rush song!!!! Someone on another forum mentioned Rush and I used a programme called Spotify to see if I'd like this band called "Rush" It was Nobody's Hero and I loved it right from the first play! I went out the next day and bought Counterparts. I heard Between Sun & Moon next, loved that "aaaaah to yes to aaaah to yes" line! But it wasn't until I heard Everyday Glory that things got serious. That last verse spoke to me. Gave me a crutch to hold up my life, which was shattering around me. I then signed up here and discovered a whole host of lovely people! Moving Pictures was my next adventure. Then I google imaged Rush, fell for Geddy! Turned me into a full blown fan. I now have all albums (on Vinyl as well as CD, bar Counterparts, T4E and Vapor Trails) I have all the DVDs, 4 t shirts, 6 posters and did something that can't be changed back...

I'm freaking obsessed now!

Changed my life this.

Just thought I'd share this with you guys!

How can anybody who's not jaded or bitter beyond belief not get a chill out of that?

I can't always tell whether people like Fridge for example are serious or not but they will never, ever, post on a thread like that just to say "that's great to hear" or whatever. Nothing positive ever. Yet someone else will post something like "Wow, I've been listening to Counterparts lately and I really like it!" and he'll chime in with "utterly worthless horse shit" or something equally charming. What is the point of that? It's not discussion or anything, it's just insulting. Is it supposed to be funny? I have no idea.

Rush's music (and music in general) is very important to me. It's incredibly inspirational to me musically and lyrically and I respect the band tremendously. I started playing guitar because of Alex back in the mid-eighties and play lots of styles of music. Their music (among others) was the only true form of escape I had when I was much younger and was going through a long and brutally abusive period with my jackass stepfather. Having said that, I can joke around about them in a good natured way and I simply don't have a "hero-worshipping" bone in my body. I can't stand the whole celebrity culture and don't idolize anybody. However, even if they released a Christmas country album I couldn't bring myself to refer to Alex as a "fat dumbfuck" or Neil as a "piece of arrogant shit" like others seem to be able to do so easily. I just don't see how it's possible to like them at all and do that.

This is all supposed to be fun. Good grief, my mom is terminally ill, I moved recently from Austin back to my hometown to take care of my 85 year old uncle who now lives next door who can't even get out of bed to eat without help, I left most of my friends behind and being a Realtor I've had to work all day every day (literally 60-70 hours a week) to build my business here and on top of that the whole country is in danger of going bankrupt. The setlist or whether Geddy plays his Rickenbacker or not is of no concern to me. So here we are decades after becoming a huge fan of the band and we still have some new music to look forward to and some degree of touring and I can't wait to get home to share my excitement with other fans only to find that a whole lot of them are just pissed off no matter what the band does. Some of you guys must have amazing lives to be able to devote so much anger to something like what songs they will or won't play. I'm not the one that takes it too seriously, you guys do.

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Mar 25 2010, 09:54 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 25 2010, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 25 2010, 11:54 PM)
You've obviously never had a brother or sister.

Loved em to bits but we ripped the shit out of ech other constantly.

I have two sisters. I have never ripped the shit out of either one.

Well I guess that would be illegal, unless you're from Arkansas.

wink.gif

Or Vermont wink.gif

Hey Reaction, do you like Ben & Jerry's?

Signed,

Cherry Garcia

QUOTE (KillerInstinct @ Mar 25 2010, 04:05 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 25 2010, 03:53 PM)
Why are you guys sticking up for Neil Peart?

because he is a part of Rush. and he is cool because he drives motorcycles and does drums solos and he looks like Keanu Reeves in this picture:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/albums/vaportrails-a.jpg

thats basically it

This has got to be the worst picture I have ever seen of Neil. I could not believe they used it on Vapor Trails. The man looks half dead. He looks like a ghost! I guess he was after all he went through, even if this was after he married Carrie. This picture should be destroyed once and for all and a new picture should be put on future releases. Man, he looks awful! Poor soul!

During the gala, that song will be performed by Jacob Moon (check YouTube for the singer/songwriter's rooftop take on the tune). Alexisonfire will play "Tom Sawyer" while Les Claypool will take on "The Spirit of Radio."

This is really disturbing. I can't believe the band is approving this. Why not just get Dream Theater to play these songs? z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

Claypool says he's been a Rush fan since he was 13 or 14 years old. It was then that he went to see the band perform live, his first-ever concert.

"I drank three beers and threw up in the parking lot," he recalled.

"I had a great time."

Nice going Claypool. You make all Rush fans look like a bunch or morons who can't handle their beer and got into Rush as underage drinkers. No many so many people think people who like Rush are dimwits.

Man, this whole thing is making an embarrassment of Rush.

QUOTE (Jag2112 @ Mar 25 2010, 03:48 PM)
By Neil saying "Do we need them..." he's not referring to the fans, but the RRHoF...

I think Neil is stating that he's vindicated by the bands success -- which is only measured by us, the fans.

So who needs the RRHOF? Certainly not us and certainly not Rush.

Just my 2 cents.

Exactly, that's how I read it. The boys know where their bread and butter comes from, the fans. The whole RRHOF controversy should just go away. Why the heck would anyone want validation from that garbage "institution." The fact that RUSH is not in it is a testament to how great they are.

I'm sorry to say that some of the nerdy among us want desperately in the end is acknowledgment from the self proclaimed "the cool people", the RRHOF.

It all goes back to "subdivisions."

Archived