IRON MAIDEN...their albums

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 3 2010, 02:19 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 3 2010, 03:26 PM)
Okay, I gave The Number of the Beast a first listen.  Question, they made better albums than this?  If so, oh boy!

Listen to Powerslave... yes.gif

and then save the best for last "Piece Of Mind" yes.gif

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 3 2010, 04:26 PM)
Okay, I gave The Number of the Beast a first listen.  Question, they made better albums than this?  If so, oh boy!

yes.gif trink39.gif However i do tend to go between the two

Edited by metaldad

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 3 2010, 04:26 PM)

YES! Piece of Mind is certainly the best

1. Number Of The Beast--One of the greatest metal albums of all time--'nuff said.

2. Piece Of Mind--Gives Beast a run for its money. An all-time metal great as well.

3. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son--Maiden's best 'album', in terms of cohesion. This album has a beginning, middle and end (the lost art of the 'song cycle'). Every song serves a purpose for the greater whole. A bloody masterpiece.

4. Killers--Maiden's heaviest. Dark, atmospheric but accessible. Not many live standards on this one, but a marked improvement from the debut in performance, production and song writing maturity.

5. Powerslave--Could easily be the fourth (or even second) best, but the middle four tracks fall short of the opening one-two punch of Aces/Midnight and the closing two epics of Powerslave and Mariner. Maiden's most inconsistent album in terms of song quality from their first seven albums.

6. Somewhere In Time--Incredible. Like Seventh Son, this album has 'its own thing going for it' as well. I always thought the title track, Sea Of Madness and Long Distance Runner were vastly under-rated.

7. Iron Maiden--Phantom is probably my favorite Maiden song and the whole album is solid. Too bad Steve didn't have the nerve to ask Martin Birch to produce this one and there is no Adrian Smith.

8. Brave New World--The closest to 'the classic era' sound Maiden will come to ever again. They could have 'trimmed the fat' off of a few songs and maybe sharpened the guitar attack, but a welcome return to Bruce and Adrian.

9. Dance Of Death--Horrible album cover (but nice concept). I found there are a lot of sleepers (the good kind) on this album along with the few masterpieces (Dance Of Death and Pachendale) and gripping rockers (Rainmaker and Montsegur).

10. No Prayer For The Dying--It's no Seventh Son, but there is a freshness and earnestness to it. Unlike a lot of Maiden's recent material, this one 'rocks' and has a lot of variation to the feel of the songs.

11. A Matter Of Life And Death--Sorry, but this album is too somber, drawn out and somewhat unmemorable. If you took any of these songs and put them on a more upbeat album I would appreciate them much more, but collectively they just don't work for me. A 'good' album, but just can't get into it.

12. Fear Of The Dark--Janick's increased song writing didn't help this album for the most part. The production is way too stripped down too. Some gems on this one, but took another step backward after Prayer.

13. The X-Factor--Sign Of The Cross is a masterpiece and Blaze actually nails it on Lord Of The Flies, but c'mon Blaze nearly ruined this band. Steve didn't really seem to swing for the fences with his song writing either.

14. Virtual XI--It just gets worse from here. I never listen to this one.

Side note: LIVE AFTER DEATH IS THE BEST LIVE ALBUM PERIOD. EVEN BETTER THAN KISS ALIVE! THERE, I SAID IT.

Powerslave and Piece Of Mind are arguably better or at least as good. But you're hearing some great stuff with Hallowed Be Thy Name, The Prisoner, and Children Of The Damned.

Quite honestly Powerslave would get my vote for best album, song for song...BUT I have a big emotional attachment to Piece Of Mind (which is also stellar regardless).

It's a bit like how I think Van Halen's debut is the BEST album, but my FAVORITE is Fair Warning. That's how I feel about those two Maiden records.

Edited by Presto-digitation

They've some great live albums too. Live After Death is the classic in their prime ('85), but honestly (!!) I have a penchant for Rock In Rio from (2000)...which is especially good if you like their Brave New World "reunion" album.

I honestly don't think the band has ever been tighter than they've been the last 10 years. Even the recent Flight 666 (both a film on DVD and a CD from 2008) is excellent and musically on par with anything they've ever done.

Edited by Presto-digitation

I like everything they've done except X Factor and Virtual XI. I've never been a huge No Prayer fan, but I don't think it's as terrible as some people, and I actually really like Fear of the Dark.

My favorite though? Easily Piece of Mind. From "Where Eagles Dare" to "The Trooper" is perfection.

Piece of Mind has a great side 1 and an inferior side 2, for those who remember vinyl.

I'd say Powerslave is my favourite, songwise. Let's not forget it features Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner.

I was kinda disappointed by Somewhere in Time because of the sound: it was all synths.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Mar 4 2010, 11:19 AM)
Piece of Mind has a great side 1 and an inferior side 2, for those who remember vinyl.
I'd say Powerslave is my favourite, songwise. Let's not forget it features Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner.
I was kinda disappointed by Somewhere in Time because of the sound: it was all synths.

It's unique because of that though. 7th Son sounded somewhat similar. Moonchild could've easily been from Somewhere In Time, for instance...(sonically speaking).

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 4 2010, 06:27 PM)

It's unique because of that though. 7th Son sounded somewhat similar. Moonchild could've easily been from Somewhere In Time, for instance...(sonically speaking).

Yes, I think it somehow fitted the underlying SF theme of the album (also, I seem to remember an interview with Steve Harris at that time, when he was saying that he wanted to replace guitars with synths.... it was probably one of those "sound crazes"), but to my ears it sounded cold and empty. Since my signature sound for hard rock is Tony Iommi, you can understand why this didn't grow on me.

Great songwriting, anyway. Love Wasted Years. But Rhyme blows Alexander the Great to pieces. tongue.gif

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Mar 4 2010, 12:01 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 4 2010, 06:27 PM)

Yes, I think it somehow fitted the underlying SF theme of the album (also, I seem to remember an interview with Steve Harris at that time, when he was saying that he wanted to replace guitars with synths.... it was probably one of those "sound crazes"), but to my ears it sounded cold and empty. Since my signature sound for hard rock is Tony Iommi, you can understand why this didn't grow on me.

Great songwriting, anyway. Love Wasted Years. But Rhyme blows Alexander the Great to pieces. tongue.gif

Yes...as does the epic song 7th Son Of A 7th Son in my opinion.

Wow. Powerslave is relentless. I like what I'm hearing.

Between the debut, The Number of the Beast and Powerslave, I've taken in a lot of Iron Maiden the past few days. I think Powerslave is my favorite.

I'm tackling Piece of Mind next.

As much as I love Alexander the Great, I think this one was Steve thinking that because they have done epics for the previous two albums, that he should throw one in there. I think even he thinks that it was a mistake in hindsight, but as usual the music behind the subject matter makes up for it.... almost.

And considering they were going for a futuristic, spacey feel, its no wonder the guitar tone sounds cold. Its sposed to. Lots of reverb and delay.

Edited by Rendclaw

QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Mar 5 2010, 03:51 AM)
As much as I love Alexander the Great, I think this one was Steve thinking that because they have done epics for the previous two albums, that he should throw one in there. I think even he thinks that it was a mistake in hindsight, but as usual the music behind the subject matter makes up for it.... almost.

And considering they were going for a futuristic, spacey feel, its no wonder the guitar tone sounds cold. Its sposed to. Lots of reverb and delay.

Precisely

Alexander definitely has a lot of information crammed into it, to the point that it feels almost more like a history lecture than a song. The instrumental interlude towards the middle of the song, particularly the bit that starts at 4:53, is some of the strongest musical writing on the entire album. To me that more than makes up for the lyrical nature of the song.

Still not as good as Rime of the Ancient Mariner, but I'd rank Alexander ahead of Seventh Son (the song).

Edited by Ultra

Your opinion of course. I think Seventh Son is better almost all the way around. Not that Alexander is a bad song and I like it a lot, Seventh Son is just better; no machine gun lyrics to sing, better solos and more of them, a better harmony section.

Getting back to Alexander, it took me years to figure out whose solo was whose, because it was almost like they were trying in some way ape each others style a little bit. Since then I can detect Dave and Adrian's styles much better, but me and my friend were always trying to figure it out at the time.

Bumping this thread because I have questions.

Maiden were my first real "Favorite" band when I was a kid. Bought "Number of the Beast" in 1982 and was just blown away. Then bought "Maiden Japan", the first two, and bought "Piece", "Powerslave" and "Live After Death" when they were released. I was at one of those Long Beach shows and it was intense and incredible. (I don't think I'm at the one released on CD or DVD though..not 100% sure.)

Anyway... I kind of lost track of them after that. By the time "Somewhere In Time" came out I was listening to different music and never really got back on the bus.

So... what have I missed? Where should I start if I wanna give the albums I missed a chance? Looks like from the reviews I could go the "Somewhere In Time/Seventh Son" route or the last 3 albums.

What do you think?

This tour kicked ass

1022.gif

QUOTE (Barchetta82 @ Jul 26 2010, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 26 2010, 04:02 PM)
This tour kicked ass
1022.gif

It did, indeed!! I can't wait until the full Final Frontier tour. 1022.gif

THREE -Damn straight it kicked ass!!

The first Maiden album I ever heard was "Killers" back in '81. Blew me away!! This was before Metallica and whatnot so this was the hardest thing I'd ever heard metal-wise. Very shortly after I heard the s/t.

These were everything I'd ever loved about rock n roll but better. I always loved the harder songs by bands like VH and April Wine and Thin Lizzy etc...and this stuff was all the hardest songs for a whole album! Then I bought "Maiden Japan" and played that to death.

I didnt hear "Number Of The Beast" until I got "Piece Of Mind" at the same time so I've always kinda lumped those two albums together, like part one and two. Bruce took a bit to get used to but once I heard them live I totally got what he was all about. He made them bigger as far as theatrics go, a bigger stage presence.

I didnt even know that "Powerslave" was released until a buddy let me borrow "Behind The Iron Curtain" on VHS. I promply purchased Powerslave. I havent seen that concert again until it was released on DVD. Good memories there.

I used to listen to "Live After Death" on headphones in my bedroom on LP and I was just amazed at how great that album sounded live.

I loved "Somewhere In Time" when it came out, despite the synth guitars. Still Maiden all the way.

Same with "7th Son". It took a while to grow on me but I love it, their last great album in my opinion.

"No Prayer For The Dying" is good but not great, a handfull of tracks just arent on par with Maiden's greatness but it does have some great tracks.

"Fear Of The Dark" was the last Maiden album I bought.

They're only doing one UK date this year, at the Knebworth Festival on the 1st of August.

But there should be more to come next year...

I have been listening a lot of Dance of Death and playing along with songs like Face in the Sand , No More Lies, Rainmaker, Dance of Death. No really bad Maiden just some cds that get a little more rotation then others.