Most 80's sounding Rush song

GrandDesigner

I vote Emotion Detector. Everything about that song screams "I WAS WRITTEN IN 1985!!!" From the cheesy synth line to the electronic drums (I love this song by the way)

I'm not a fan of most 80's music besides the metal, but Rush's most 80's sounding album (PoW) is my favorite by them...go figure...

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Feb 20 2010, 10:40 AM)
I vote Emotion Detector.  Everything about that song screams "I WAS WRITTEN IN 1985!!!"  From the cheesy synth line to the electronic drums (I love this song by the way)

I'm not a fan of most 80's music besides the metal, but Rush's most 80's sounding album (PoW) is my favorite by them...go figure...

I agree. Well, it's my 2nd favorite by them, but I love it a lot.

edit: realized i accidentally the quote earlier today, so i fixed it.

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Feb 20 2010, 03:28 PM)
I agree, anything from Power Windows and thats the exact reason why its one of my least favorite albums.

And that's the exact reason it's my favorite Rush album ever 653.gif

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Feb 20 2010, 11:14 AM)
I'll agree with Grand Designs

The drumming on "Grand Designs" saves the day for me so I couldn't choose that song.

I would have to agree with "Time Stand Still."

Signed,

"Voices Carry" wacko.gif

Til Tuesday = 062802puke_prv.gif

For me, the most "80's" sounding stuff is from GUP. Electronic drums were relatively new and still had that 'first gen' sound throughout this album. The overall production of the sound was more spongy and narrow, lacking the depth that Power Windows had (a very 80's thing to me). And the lyrics were soooo fit to the times with talk of armageddon, apocalypse, and images of Terminator. Red Sector A reminded me as much of the movie Red Dawn as it did the actual subject matter. How much more 80's can ya get than Red Dawn??

When I first heard GUP it was in the early 90's, and it was on the exact same day I also heard Signals, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire for the first time. So talk about your perfect taste test for a thread like this. Of the four of them, GUP was so much more of a violent crash back to the 80's-vibe than the other three - and I rejected it for many years. I hated that album for the longest time. Today, I consider it a genius masterpiece. But I've said many times around these parts, that my biggest lesson about not liking their material is proof of my own limitations, not the bands. Once I realized that - I was finally able to appreciate the excellence for albums I once hated such as GUP, and Caress of Steel. Both of those albums rank as mind altering obsessions for me, today.

The 80's were different in the early years, middle years, later years. Consider this a collage kinda:

Fast Times at Ridgemont High - definitely early 80's - boat shoes, skinny ties, new wave, valley girl - "Signals"

"Sixteen Candles" - very 1984 and very "Grace Under Pressure" since both came out within weeks of each other.

"Breakfast Club" - 1985 and Power Windows-ish.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Feb 20 2010, 10:40 AM)
I vote Emotion Detector. Everything about that song screams "I WAS WRITTEN IN 1985!!!" From the cheesy synth line to the electronic drums (I love this song by the way)

yes.gif

This is unquestionably the choice.

It's so cheesy 80s it could have been on "The Breakfast Club" soundtrack.

Big Money sounded really 80's to me for some reason... unsure.gif I think it has to do with the hilarious video and it's awesome camera angles. laugh.gif http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAvEiLpboqk&feature=related Like at 0:22 when the camera goes sort of between Neil's cymbal and what the heck?? rofl3.gif Geddy got the shiniest bass I've ever seen in that one too. wub.gif Did he only used it for that one particuliar video? sad.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Feb 21 2010, 09:09 AM)
For me, the most "80's" sounding stuff is from GUP.  Electronic drums were relatively new and still had that 'first gen' sound throughout this album.  The overall production of the sound was more spongy and narrow, lacking the depth that Power Windows had (a very 80's thing to me).  And the lyrics were soooo fit to the times with talk of armageddon, apocalypse, and images of Terminator.  Red Sector A reminded me as much of the movie Red Dawn as it did the actual subject matter.  How much more 80's can ya get than Red Dawn??

When I first heard GUP it was in the early 90's, and it was on the exact same day I also heard Signals, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire for the first time.  So talk about your perfect taste test for a thread like this.  Of the four of them, GUP was so much more of a violent crash back to the 80's-vibe than the other three - and I rejected it for many years.  I hated that album for the longest time.  Today, I consider it a genius masterpiece.  But I've said many times around these parts, that my biggest lesson about not liking their material is proof of my own limitations, not the bands.  Once I realized that - I was finally able to appreciate the excellence for albums I once hated such as GUP, and Caress of Steel.  Both of those albums rank as mind altering obsessions for me, today.

Same here..anything from GUP sounds 80's to me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/m_familyguy_quagmire.gif

Grand Designs or Emotion Detector. Partly it's the songs themselves, but a big reason is the production quality. They're just WAY OVERPRODUCED and very 80s clean studio sounding. When I listen to those songs I can imagine the opening credits to a sitcom like Family Ties or Perfect Strangers.

Archived