Most 80's sounding Rush song

GrandDesigner

QUOTE (Armor and Sword85 @ Feb 20 2010, 04:07 PM)
Time Stands Still smells like 80s...and I love it 653.gif

You nailed it! That song an it's video are so totally 80's sounding!

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 23 2010, 11:40 AM)
Just to choose something different -- and great choices by the way -- I'll go with VITAL SIGNS. Very 80s new wave.

Took the words right out of my mouth..

Tom Sawyer is very 80's too -- precision drum machine drumming (except for the fills, of course), the famous chirp dive (emulated by synthesists ever since, Alex's 80's guitar solo, chorused guitar.

I think Rush ushered in the 80's with Moving Pictures.

QUOTE (Pags @ Feb 21 2010, 09:09 AM)
But I've said many times around these parts, that my biggest lesson about not liking their material is proof of my own limitations, not the bands.  Once I realized that - I was finally able to appreciate the excellence for albums I once hated such as GUP, and Caress of Steel. 

Brilliant! I couldn't agree more. I was biased against Caress of Steel for a long time, but finally came around to realizing how cool and unique it is after getting into old Genesis and Yes. COS didn't change, so it must have been me. smile.gif It's too bad so many fans often seem to be locked into a very narrow vision of what they like from Rush.

Regading the 80's, there are many different flavors but I think the OP is getting at 80's synth pop: Big Country, Men At Work, Tears For Fears, etc. So I would say: New World Man, The Weapon, Red Sector A, Emotion Detector, and Middletown Dreams (especially the Madonna-ish keyboard riff in the second verse).

BTW, I just got a Roland XP-80 with the Vintage Synth expansion card, and it's been a blast playing all these 80's synth sounds: Oberheims, Moogs, Junos, Prophets, etc. wub.gif

Archived