Before & After

GrandDesigner

I never ever listen to Rush's first album. Just don't like the classic rock feel it has and all the songs I can get into are better on ATWAS anyway. Before & After just popped up on my iTunes and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. This might be my new favorite song on their debut, and a song I listen to over and over again. It's crazy to think I've owned this cd for like 8 years now and cannot even remember hearing this song! Maybe there's hope for S&A and VT yet!... biggrin.gif

Before & After has always been my favorite song from the debut. It's brilliant.

QUOTE (ytserush @ Jan 11 2010, 08:20 PM)
Before and After and Here Again are far and away my two favorites from the first album. I'd love see either one reinterpreted one day.

Same here.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jan 11 2010, 08:53 PM)
Before and After and Here Again are far and away my two favorites from the first album. I'd love see either one reinterpreted one day.

Same here.

Me too. Would be awesome to see a 2010 remake of them. The beginning of Before And After reminds me a little of Return Of The Prince section of The Necromancer.

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Jan 11 2010, 07:34 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Jan 11 2010, 07:01 PM)
Before & After has always been my favorite song from the debut.  It's brilliant.

goodpost.gif

Yep, my fave from the debut as well.

I've always liked their debut. It's not their strongest lyrically, but they just plain rock out on it.

I think some of my favorite Rush boots are from around that period.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jan 11 2010, 07:00 PM)
I never ever listen to Rush's first album. Just don't like the classic rock feel it has and all the songs I can get into are better on ATWAS anyway. Before & After just popped up on my iTunes and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. This might be my new favorite song on their debut, and a song I listen to over and over again. It's crazy to think I've owned this cd for like 8 years now and cannot even remember hearing this song! Maybe there's hope for S&A and VT yet!... biggrin.gif

What is a "clasic rock feel" anyway, so many bands these days have been newly labelled "classic rock" that it could sound like anything...

Btw Before and After is FOKKEN METAL baby!!!!!!!

And you better believe that before each and everytime I play it, I hire a posse of Lemmy Lookalikes who come round drink themselves silly, fuuck about 320 rock bitches (that I also hired) and then they trash the whole place and I have to clean it allup to get ready for the next time I play 2.gif

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 12 2010, 03:32 AM)
Btw Before and After is FOKKEN METAL baby!!!!!!!

And you better believe that before each and everytime I play it, I hire a posse of Lemmy Lookalikes who come round drink themselves silly, fuuck about 320 rock bitches (that I also hired) and then they trash the whole place and I have to clean it allup to get ready for the next time I play 2.gif

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

laugh.gif

trink38.gif trink39.gif 1022.gif

I like that kind of inspiration!

I think the first album rocks and thats a great tune.

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jan 11 2010, 09:34 PM)
I like the before part. When they go into the actual hard-rock half of the song it just sounds like the same mediocre sound that the rest of the album has.

goodpost.gif

I love the first 2 minutes and 13 seconds of it. After that? Meh.

Same for me. This is a kick ass album from start to finish. Here Again being the fav for me. I always hated Here Again though, until only a few years ago. The first half of that song just sounded like a high school band playing at a local dance - and I couldn't get past it. However, the entire 2nd half of that song turns into a legendary classic - especially with Alex's solo. To me, that solo sets really sets it straight for how well he can dig into the heart of a song.

QUOTE (Pags @ Jan 11 2010, 05:01 PM)
Before & After has always been my favorite song from the debut. It's brilliant.

Same here.

Am I correct in assuming this was never played live? How the hell can a band touring for their debut manage to leave two songs from the album off their setlist? (Take A Friend was also unplayed I believe). Unless they did play it and no setlist has surfaced with it on there. Or they had FBN in the can already and decided just to move on to those songs.

Anyways, I've been blasting this song the last few days. Still incredible how I'm actually hearing an early Rush song for the first time basically - I thought I'd exhausted all their early stuff years ago.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jan 13 2010, 09:39 AM)
Am I correct in assuming this was never played live?  How the hell can a band touring for their debut manage to leave two songs from the album off their setlist? (Take A Friend was also unplayed I believe).  Unless they did play it and no setlist has surfaced with it on there.  Or they had FBN in the can already and decided just to move on to those songs.

You'll have to get ahold of some early bootlegs to hear "Here Again"

Not sure about "Take A Friend" but "Need Some Love"was in the setlist biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mr Freeze @ Jan 13 2010, 02:21 PM)
QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jan 13 2010, 09:39 AM)
Am I correct in assuming this was never played live?  How the hell can a band touring for their debut manage to leave two songs from the album off their setlist? (Take A Friend was also unplayed I believe).  Unless they did play it and no setlist has surfaced with it on there.  Or they had FBN in the can already and decided just to move on to those songs.

You'll have to get ahold of some early bootlegs to hear "Here Again"

Not sure about "Take A Friend" but "Need Some Love"was in the setlist biggrin.gif

Because they played "Bad Boy", "Fancy Dancer" and "Garden Road", instead.

Archived