The "Moving Pictures" 30th Anniversary Question?

RUSHHEAD666

Would You Guys Want To See RUSH Play "Moving Pictures" All The Way Through On The Next World Tour?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Guys Want To See RUSH Play "Moving Pictures" All The Way Through On The Next World Tour?

• Holy Toledo! I Would Love It! Finally "The Camera Eye" Live!
    • Maybe Since The Record Will Actually Almost Be 30 Years Old!
    • No Way! What A Bore! They Play Most Of The "Moving Pictures" Album Anyway!

I've taken a lot of time off from RUSH as some of you can probably tell, but I am getting back into one of those "Rush Modes."

I was thinking that "Moving Pictures" will be 30 years young in 2011, so what if RUSH decided to play the album all the way through on the upcoming "alleged" Tour?

Even If RUSH releases an "EP" or a downloadable new song only, it will be short, hence the next tour will probably focus on hopefully some obscure older Rush B side music. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, I can see RUSH going through the first set and blowing our minds before taking their standard intermission.

As the boys come out to start the second set they blast right into "Tom Sawyer" and then play the rest of the record in order. Neil could actually go "old school" and do his drum solo off of "YYZ" again.

I would shite 2,112 purple Twinkies if I was able to see them do "The Camera Eye" on the next tour. How about you?

I know this is just food for cyber thought, but I am getting excited over nothing!

I would love to see "Moving Pictures" played all the way through. It was the first RUSH album I bought when I was a dorky kid.

Some things never change.

Damn I love this band!

2.gif ON!

Earl

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be more excited just being able to see Rush than just hearing "The Camera Eye". I would like to see them play the entire album in order like Sean mentioned recently. I'd definitely love to see it. I don't think they've ever played an entire album in order; the only time they played an entire album on tour was 1978/1979 during the Hemispheres tour, but the songs weren't in order.

That would be over the top but i have to admit that seeing them do The Camera Eye live, would be worth the price of admission.

While we are on the topic of Moving Pictures, I have been looking for AGES for some high-res photos of the inner sleeve to use as wallpaper for my laptop.

Anybody?????

confused13.gif

QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Dec 19 2009, 12:13 AM)
That would be over the top but i have to admit that seeing them do The Camera Eye live, would be worth the price of admission.

While we are on the topic of Moving Pictures, I have been looking for AGES for some high-res photos of the inner sleeve to use as wallpaper for my laptop.

Anybody?????

confused13.gif

I wish I could help you out, but since we are on the topic of "Moving Pictures" I too have another question.

Remember when we learned that Neil had been keeping a "diary" throughout the "Moving Pictures" Tour?

Well he or someone kept saying that it was going to be eventually published into a book for all to read.

So, where the hell is it?

This so-called "Moving Pictures" diary does exist right?

I WANT TO READ IT!

Neil knows some publishers, what's the hold up??

1022.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 18 2009, 11:09 PM)
I'd be more excited just being able to see Rush than just hearing "The Camera Eye". I would like to see them play the entire album in order like Sean mentioned recently. I'd definitely love to see it. I don't think they've ever played an entire album in order; the only time they played an entire album on tour was 1978/1979 during the Hemispheres tour, but the songs weren't in order.

"Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying" Tim!

I know "The Camera Eye" might not move you as much as other RUSH fans, but us "old school" diehards are well, dying for it.

I was serious when I polled that Rush pretty much covers all of "Moving Pictures" per every tour.

They play every song on that record religiously almost every time except "The Camera Eye."

Hell, they won't even put "Through The Camera Eye" on DVD or BLU-RAY?

WTF?

Over the years us lucky Rush Fans have seen all five songs on "MP" played.

I was going to go to the "Signals" show when they played "The Camera Eye" but thanks to that asshole Bill Graham Rush had a falling out with him so RUSH skipped the Bay Area.

I saw them on the GUP and PW Tours but then again the band got into a fight with Bill Graham and RUSH skipped the Bay Area on the "Hold Your Fire" Tour.

Totally pissed me off.

Anyway, it's all good. I honestly had no idea that Sean was hoping to see "Moving Pictures" played all they way through. Must have missed that thread or post.

That's a jinx then, and I hope Geddy, Alex and Neil do secretly read this Forum so they will grow some BIG BALLS and play "Moving Pictures" from start to finish!

Signed,

THE PROFESSOR NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Dec 19 2009, 01:13 AM)

Anybody?????

confused13.gif

I haven't voted, because I'm torn.

I would LOVE to see "The Camera Eye," and I don't tire of the other MP tracks they usually play, but I dunno...

Playing the WHOLE album would eat a lot of setlist space, and personally I could live without hearing "Witch Hunt" and/or "Red Barchetta" again.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 19 2009, 01:06 AM)

I would LOVE to see "The Camera Eye," and I don't tire of the other MP tracks they usually play, but I dunno...

Playing the WHOLE album would eat a lot of setlist space, and personally I could live without hearing "Witch Hunt" and/or "Red Barchetta" again.

I understand your take Rulz.

Personally I wish that RUSH would grow some even BIGGER BALLS and not put "Tom Sawyer" in the set list on their next Tour. But I guess that would be like Lady GaGa not playing "Pokerface" live! LOL!

It's all good. Bottom line: As long as RUSH hits the road in 2010 it's all good.

Love,

Rip Torn

wink.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Dec 19 2009, 01:42 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 19 2009, 12:06 AM)
I could live without hearing "Witch Hunt" and/or "Red Barchetta" again.

Nonsense and lies. Two best songs on the album.

That's funny. I just agreed with you Rulz on the "Hold Your Fire" stuff, but here I must agree with Sean.

Those two songs on "MP" are fantastic. They never get old.

Again, cut out "Tom Sawyer" if anything.

Signed,

"A Farewell To Things"

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Dec 19 2009, 03:45 AM)

That's funny. I just agreed with you Rulz on the "Hold Your Fire" stuff, but here I must agree with Sean.

Signed,

"A Farewell To Things"

The whole album is completely perfect, of course.

I'm just tired of the mood piece "Witch Hunt." As for "Red Barchetta," well... just before the R30 show I had read an article lambasting Prog Rock and Rush, and then while watching the band perform "Red Barchetta" it occurred to me that the article wasn't entirely wrong. Here's a "pretentious" band playing a "sci fi/fantasy song" replete with references to "gleaming alloy air cars," and here we are in the audience, a bunch of Sci-Fi geeks, singing along to these lyrics about a futuristic car chase and eating it up. Don't get me wrong: I love the song and love the entire "perfect" MP album, but I'd rather not have all the overblown elements of Prog Rock right there in front of me, reminding me that Rush isn't cool. Blame the critic who wrote the article, but he wasn't entirely wrong about Prog and Rush, and I didn't fully enjoy myself at the show because I became aware I was a raving geek fan of pretentious Sci Fi/Fantasy Prog Rock. For the first time, I actually felt ashamed of being a diehard Rush fan. (And then felt guilty about that feeling; like I was betraying the band I loved for feeling that way.) And besides, "Red Barchetta" runs a little long.

One more time: MP is awesome. It's perfect. I never tire of "YYZ" and "Limelight," and don't even mind that "Tom Sawyer" is still being played at every show. But no more "Witch Hunt" and "Red Barchetta," which are moody and long, respectively.

A lot of band are performing entire albums in concert now. That would lead me to think that there is no way Rush would ever do it. They never have been about doing what everybody else is.

I would LOVE it though, if they would indeed perform MP in completion. And in order too.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Dec 19 2009, 08:48 AM)
A lot of band are performing entire albums in concert now. That would lead me to think that there is no way Rush would ever do it. They never have been about doing what everybody else is.

I would LOVE it though, if they would indeed perform MP in completion. And in order too.

Well, never say never. Rush might change around their ideals for a tour, and perform the whole album. You never know what the future might hold.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Dec 19 2009, 02:36 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 18 2009, 11:09 PM)

"Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying" Tim!

I know "The Camera Eye" might not move you as much as other RUSH fans, but us "old school" diehards are well, dying for it.

Don't get me wrong, a few years ago, it was one of my favorite Rush songs and one I wanted to see live. It's just that now, I'm not as hyped about it as I am now. Still, the fact that the song hasn't been performed live since 1983 would get me excited.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 19 2009, 04:36 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Dec 19 2009, 03:45 AM)

Signed,

"A Farewell To Things"

The whole album is completely perfect, of course.

I'm just tired of the mood piece "Witch Hunt." As for "Red Barchetta," well... just before the R30 show I had read an article lambasting Prog Rock and Rush, and then while watching the band perform "Red Barchetta" it occurred to me that the article wasn't entirely wrong. Here's a "pretentious" band playing a "sci fi/fantasy song" replete with references to "gleaming alloy air cars," and here we are in the audience, a bunch of Sci-Fi geeks, singing along to these lyrics about a futuristic car chase and eating it up. Don't get me wrong: I love the song and love the entire "perfect" MP album, but I'd rather not have all the overblown elements of Prog Rock right there in front of me, reminding me that Rush isn't cool. Blame the critic who wrote the article, but he wasn't entirely wrong about Prog and Rush, and I didn't fully enjoy myself at the show because I became aware I was a raving geek fan of pretentious Sci Fi/Fantasy Prog Rock. For the first time, I actually felt ashamed of being a diehard Rush fan. (And then felt guilty about that feeling; like I was betraying the band I loved for feeling that way.) And besides, "Red Barchetta" runs a little long.

One more time: MP is awesome. It's perfect. I never tire of "YYZ" and "Limelight," and don't even mind that "Tom Sawyer" is still being played at every show. But no more "Witch Hunt" and "Red Barchetta," which are moody and long, respectively.

Im surprised they would pick on " Red Barchetta", its a catchy little , fun tune. Something like " Xanadu" i could see them going after, but its almost like they just pick on Rush for anything sometimes.

Im not so sure id want to see the whole of MP played. We get most of it already. I wouldnt complain, of course.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 19 2009, 04:06 AM)

Right. I can do without "Witch Hunt" again, although I never tire of "Red Barchetta". "Vital Signs" is one of my favorite tracks on the album and I 'd love to hear it reintroduced to the setlist.

I do not care one bit if they do "The Camera Eye", and do not understand the near-sacred status a live version of this song has. Okay, so they once announced they weren't ever going to play it again. Journalists took note. Suddenly a not-unremarkable but very repetitious (sorry, it is) song gets a cult following.

For the ten minute length of TCE? I'd rather hear "Vital Signs" and, say, "Kid Gloves". Or there's a whole list of songs they have never done live. Put a couple of those in.

And Earl, if it does happen, I want video footage posted here of you shitting 2112 purple Twinkies. tongue.gif

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Dec 19 2009, 02:00 AM)
QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Dec 19 2009, 01:13 AM)

Anybody?????

confused13.gif

Thanks man ,i totally forgot about this site . I've downloaded from here before doh.gif .I downloaded the egg in a vice from GUP, took a picture of the screen with a high mega pixel camera took it to print shop had it blown up and framed which is hung on a wall behind me and my kit(get it). I'm going to do the same thing with the 3 pics of the guys "moving" I plan on cleaning them up in Photoshop a bit. Then hanging them in my so called studio/media room.

Thanks

The only song that Rush should play from the Moving Pictures album on the upcoming tour is 'The Camera Eye'.

Everything else has been played to death live, especially side one of the album.

If the band are concerned about giving the fans enough songs for the tour to perform live in a three hour time span - I believe it is best they do the above.

If U2 can perform deeper album cuts and leave the hits off of the setlist and still have the tour be a success, then Rush can do the same.

Edited by RushFanForever

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 19 2009, 10:22 AM)
Yes, I would love that as a "gimmick" - I love every song on the album. It would take up a lot of space, but especially if they play a more modest amount of "new stuff" - could definitely live with it. Id also like it played in order. smile.gif

If playing the full MP means they'd have to cut Roll the Bones, then please God, let it happen.

wink.gif

MP certainly deserves such a homage as it's own anniversary tour, and if it gets the boys out on tour again, I'm all for it. I remember Tull's 30th (35th?) anniversary Aqualung tour, and it was great!