The "Moving Pictures" 30th Anniversary Question?

RUSHHEAD666

Would You Guys Want To See RUSH Play "Moving Pictures" All The Way Through On The Next World Tour?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Guys Want To See RUSH Play "Moving Pictures" All The Way Through On The Next World Tour?

• Holy Toledo! I Would Love It! Finally "The Camera Eye" Live!
    • Maybe Since The Record Will Actually Almost Be 30 Years Old!
    • No Way! What A Bore! They Play Most Of The "Moving Pictures" Album Anyway!

Yes. definitely absolutely play this entire album on next tour. It is a truly remarkable piece of work.

The only snafu that I see is that Vital Signs is not a very powerful closing track to this "mini set", as Rush would more than likely run this into the intermission. I would love it if they juiced that song up with a lengthy guitar solo, and some heavy playing at the end......perfect!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 19 2009, 01:29 PM)
Yes. definitely absolutely play this entire album on next tour. It is a truly remarkable piece of work.

The only snafu that I see is that Vital Signs is not a very powerful closing track to this "mini set", as Rush would more than likely run this into the intermission. I would love it if they juiced that song up with a lengthy guitar solo, and some heavy playing at the end......perfect!

yes.gif

I was listening to Different Stages and the power of Alex's extended outro's shines clear on Bravado. VS is awesome when given the same treatment.

I am all for hearing the whole thing

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 19 2009, 02:36 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Dec 19 2009, 03:45 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Dec 19 2009, 01:42 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 19 2009, 12:06 AM)
I could live without hearing "Witch Hunt" and/or "Red Barchetta" again.

Nonsense and lies. Two best songs on the album.

That's funny. I just agreed with you Rulz on the "Hold Your Fire" stuff, but here I must agree with Sean.

Those two songs on "MP" are fantastic. They never get old.

Again, cut out "Tom Sawyer" if anything.

Signed,

"A Farewell To Things"

The whole album is completely perfect, of course.

I'm just tired of the mood piece "Witch Hunt." As for "Red Barchetta," well... just before the R30 show I had read an article lambasting Prog Rock and Rush, and then while watching the band perform "Red Barchetta" it occurred to me that the article wasn't entirely wrong. Here's a "pretentious" band playing a "sci fi/fantasy song" replete with references to "gleaming alloy air cars," and here we are in the audience, a bunch of Sci-Fi geeks, singing along to these lyrics about a futuristic car chase and eating it up. Don't get me wrong: I love the song and love the entire "perfect" MP album, but I'd rather not have all the overblown elements of Prog Rock right there in front of me, reminding me that Rush isn't cool. Blame the critic who wrote the article, but he wasn't entirely wrong about Prog and Rush, and I didn't fully enjoy myself at the show because I became aware I was a raving geek fan of pretentious Sci Fi/Fantasy Prog Rock. For the first time, I actually felt ashamed of being a diehard Rush fan. (And then felt guilty about that feeling; like I was betraying the band I loved for feeling that way.) And besides, "Red Barchetta" runs a little long.

One more time: MP is awesome. It's perfect. I never tire of "YYZ" and "Limelight," and don't even mind that "Tom Sawyer" is still being played at every show. But no more "Witch Hunt" and "Red Barchetta," which are moody and long, respectively.

I read you loud and clear. Good post dude!!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Dec 19 2009, 09:32 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 19 2009, 10:22 AM)
Yes, I would love that as a "gimmick" - I love every song on the album.  It would take up a lot of space, but especially if they play a more modest amount of "new stuff" - could definitely live with it.  Id also like it played in order. smile.gif

If playing the full MP means they'd have to cut Roll the Bones, then please God, let it happen.

wink.gif

MP certainly deserves such a homage as it's own anniversary tour, and if it gets the boys out on tour again, I'm all for it. I remember Tull's 30th (35th?) anniversary Aqualung tour, and it was great!

Hey Goose! I was soooo happy that I didn't have to hear "Roll The Bones" ten times on their last tour.

I would have gone insane!

I hope that song gets put in the deep freeze for all eternity.

To think that Neil wrote some of those lyrics while on the "Permanent Waves" Tour.

Why does it happen? Because it happens, bury the bones!!!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Dec 19 2009, 04:26 PM)
Yes, I would love that as a "gimmick" - I love every song on the album.  It would take up a lot of space, but especially if they play a more modest amount of "new stuff" - could definitely live with it.  Id also like it played in order. smile.gif

If playing the full MP means they'd have to cut Roll the Bones, then please God, let it happen.

wink.gif

MP certainly deserves such a homage as it's own anniversary tour, and if it gets the boys out on tour again, I'm all for it. I remember Tull's 30th (35th?) anniversary Aqualung tour, and it was great!

Hey Goose! I was soooo happy that I didn't have to hear "Roll The Bones" ten times on their last tour.

To think that Neil wrote some of those lyrics while on the "Permanent Waves" Tour.

trink39.gif

Good riddance to that stale concert staple!

QUOTE (goose @ Dec 19 2009, 03:47 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Dec 19 2009, 04:26 PM)

wink.gif

trink39.gif

Good riddance to that stale concert staple!

Indeed!!!

1022.gif trink39.gif 1022.gif

I hope they give "Dreamline" a break next tour! Love that extended Alex solo but please!!! Enough is enough!!!!!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Dec 19 2009, 03:12 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 19 2009, 01:06 AM)
I haven't voted, because I'm torn.

I would LOVE to see "The Camera Eye," and I don't tire of the other MP tracks they usually play, but I dunno...

Playing the WHOLE album would eat a lot of setlist space, and personally I could live without hearing "Witch Hunt" and/or "Red Barchetta" again.

I understand your take Rulz.

Personally I wish that RUSH would grow some even BIGGER BALLS and not put "Tom Sawyer" in the set list on their next Tour. But I guess that would be like Lady GaGa not playing "Pokerface" live! LOL!

It's all good. Bottom line: As long as RUSH hits the road in 2010 it's all good.

Love,

Rip Torn

wink.gif

I don't think it's a question of balls at all. Aside from being Rush's most well-known song, they've repeatedly stated that they still ENJOY playing Tom Sawyer. They moved it around in the setlist for a couple of tours to freshen it up a little which is probably about as big a change as you're going to get when it comes to that song. They have no problem resting songs they don't want to play - everything from 2112 to Spirit of Radio to Limelight to Closer to the Heart has been removed at one point or another, but the fact that they enjoy playing Tom Sawyer keeps it in there.

I've seen that song to death and can't say I look forward to hearing it live, but I still enjoy the energy surge in the crowd that happens when the big guns come out at the end of a show. Spirit>2112>Tom Sawyer was a nice run last time out.

I would love to hear MP in it's entirety. The CAMERA EYE would be monumental to hear live and it's really what the fans want to hear. I know that WITCH HUNT is not the best song from the album but It has some of Neil's best drum fills and I love what he does on this song. I hope that it can still be played. In the car you can always see me air drumming to this song. laugh.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Keep dreaming, they will never play an entire album live!

They are not getting any younger, they will play 2hours and a half with luck,

Add to that the must played songs:

Tom, Dreamline, 3 or 4 maybe 5 from the new album, earthshine, limelight, subdivisions, roll the bones, the pass, 2112, and space for a couple of surprises, some acoustic, a medley and a 15 minute drum solo.

I don't understand why everybody is so for this idea. They already play most of MP anyway, why make a gimmick out of it?

I also don't understand the cult status that The Camera Eye has, nor do I understand the incredibly ridiculous amount of praise MP gets. I mean sure, I love YYZ, Limelight, and Vital Signs as much as the next guy, but MP is so over-played and over-hyped.

Why is MP hyped up to be so much better than every other Rush album? What makes it better than Permanent Waves or Presto or Test for Echo?

I may have a unique opinion, but to me all Rush is as good the rest. I honestly don't listen to something like Roll the Bones and think "Man, this album sucks."

To me, Rush is Rush. There's just something about them that makes every song fantastic, whether it's Spirit of Radio or Dog Years.

Sorry if I came off as rant-y, or if it seems like I'm trolling, because I'm not. I think we should all just chill out and enjoy the music, you know?

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Dec 21 2009, 11:18 PM)
They kinda 'showcased' MP and PeW on the S&A Tour, along with the current album--so it would seem kind of...unclimactic. But yes, Camera Eye does need to be played live. I would rather they play the whole Hemispheres album! wink.gif

Now you are talking Roth!

"HEMISPHERES" = THE GREATEST ALBUM EVER MADE!

1022.gif

No Way! What A Bore! They Play Most Of The "Moving Pictures" Album Anyway!

I already saw them do The Camera Eye. It is great. But Vital Signs live is another one that does not need to be played live again. They should use the time playing songs they have never done live or have not done in years.

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Dec 19 2009, 02:21 AM)
I've been saying for the last year and a half that I think The Camera Eye will be played on the next tour. Anything else from MP would be nice of course.

I would ALMOST bet money you're right.

I say "almost" because I also thought they were going to do a big revamp of the 2nd leg of S&A and that didn't really end up happening.

The next tour might be their last. Camera Eye & Farewell to Kings are probably going to get played. That's my guess.

From what I've read in an article or two where Alex is alone, I think he's all over the concept of playing a tour where they trot out the old horses a bit. Granted, some of them don't hold up worth a shinola because they'd have to be tuned down a half to full step, but some would work. Anthem would be an ass kicking opener with Alex's heavier tone these days.

QUOTE (Sangheili @ Dec 22 2009, 12:20 AM)
I don't understand why everybody is so for this idea. They already play most of MP anyway, why make a gimmick out of it?

I also don't understand the cult status that The Camera Eye has, nor do I understand the incredibly ridiculous amount of praise MP gets. I mean sure, I love YYZ, Limelight, and Vital Signs as much as the next guy, but MP is so over-played and over-hyped.

Why is MP hyped up to be so much better than every other Rush album? What makes it better than Permanent Waves or Presto or Test for Echo?

I may have a unique opinion, but to me all Rush is as good the rest. I honestly don't listen to something like Roll the Bones and think "Man, this album sucks."

To me, Rush is Rush. There's just something about them that makes every song fantastic, whether it's Spirit of Radio or Dog Years.

Sorry if I came off as rant-y, or if it seems like I'm trolling, because I'm not. I think we should all just chill out and enjoy the music, you know?

You lost me here.

Edited by Del_Duio

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Dec 22 2009, 02:43 AM)
They kinda 'showcased' MP and PeW on the S&A Tour, along with the current album--so it would seem kind of...unclimactic. But yes, Camera Eye does need to be played live. I would rather they play the whole Hemispheres album!  wink.gif

1022.gif

Maybe not THE GREATEST, but yeah, I'd love to hear all 18+ minutes of Cygnus X-1 Book II.

Much more so than The Camera Eye, which is repetitive. If they're going to play one of the longer pieces, go for Hemispheres.

QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 22 2009, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Dec 22 2009, 02:43 AM)
They kinda 'showcased' MP and PeW on the S&A Tour, along with the current album--so it would seem kind of...unclimactic. But yes, Camera Eye does need to be played live. I would rather they play the whole Hemispheres album!  wink.gif

1022.gif

Maybe not THE GREATEST, but yeah, I'd love to hear all 18+ minutes of Cygnus X-1 Book II.

Much more so than The Camera Eye, which is repetitive. If they're going to play one of the longer pieces, go for Hemispheres.

Geddy would have a lot of trouble singing all of Hemispheres though. I can see him being able to do TCE. wink.gif