VAN HALEN'S GREATEST RECORD: 1978-1984

RUSHHEAD666

Name Your Favorite Diamond David Lee Roth Van Halen Record!  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Name Your Favorite Diamond David Lee Roth Van Halen Record!

• VAN HALEN
    • VAN HALEN II
    • WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST
    • FAIR WARNING
    • DIVER DOWN
    • I HATE THE DAVID LEE ROTH ERA! GIVE ME VAN HAGAR OR SAM HALEN INSTEAD!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair Warning was VH at their best. Firing on all cylinders. And to think that they pretty much hated each other by that point. Eddie was at his peak.

Fair Warning

Van Halen I

Woman and Children First

Van Halen II

Diver Down

Another FW fan here. Totally rocks: never been bettered in my opinion. Although their debut album VH rocked big time also

QUOTE (Sonatine @ Dec 17 2009, 02:53 AM)
Another FW fan here. Totally rocks: never been bettered in my opinion. Although their debut album VH rocked big time also

Yeah, VH1 was the good time party album. FW had a real edge to it that their other albums didnt. I love em both. Just great hard rock at its finest.

I'm tempted to follow suit and pick Fair Warning or maybe even Women and Children First, two great albums, but....

That first album was just too revolutionary and influential in the history of hard rock. It made other guitarists take notice and run to the woodshed to figure out where those sounds were coming from. Hard rock guitarists from the 80s to today will tell you Eddie Van Halen and the first VH album were huge influences on their playing.

I can't ignore that important history just because a later VH album was "harder" or "rocked more."

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 17 2009, 01:06 PM)
I'm voting for the first, on the same lines as Geddyrulz' explanation.

An album I've never bought is Diver Down, how bad is it?

The more I think about VH1, the more I realise how totally awesome it really was. Especially "Eruption" - my God I don't think I'd heard such an astounding guitar instrumental up until that point. EVH really went to town getting the meat out of his guitar on that particular track.

No wonder it set the mark for other axemen to follow, as well as being the 2nd best guitar solo of all time, according to Guitar World

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 17 2009, 01:59 AM)
1. Fair Warning
2. Women and Children First
3. Van Halen
4. Van Halen II
5. 1984
6. Diver Down

Yep, in that order for me also

'VAN HALEN'

I've said this so many times that I've lost count, but to me, this is the greatest debut album of all-time. Not a single weak track on the album.

Oh, and when you think about it, these guys took a ton of chances on an album that really needed to be 100% killer.

The obvious one I see is 'Ice Cream Man'. I'm not sure too many bands could pull that off as well as they did, nevermind trying to do it on a DEBUT album.

Also, Eddie's 'Eruption' to me, while absolutely classic, was a bit of a chance too at the time. I don't think at that time, and maybe even today, that instrumentals were looked at in a good light. I don't know how many people predicted that 'Eruption' would still be rocking the radio in 2009 as a segway into 'You Really Got Me'.

Mainly all of their material kicks ass, but this album is just too perfect for me. 1022.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Dec 17 2009, 09:08 AM)

this is the greatest debut album of all-time.

I really don't think anything comes close

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 17 2009, 08:06 AM)

An album I've never bought is Diver Down, how bad is it?

The problem is......

it's only 29 min long

half the album is covers

The good part is

the songs they did write kick ass and

it's better than anything they did with Sammy................... laugh.gif

Edited by metaldad

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 17 2009, 05:12 AM)
I'm tempted to follow suit and pick Fair Warning or maybe even Women and Children First, two great albums, but....

That first album was just too revolutionary and influential in the history of hard rock. It made other guitarists take notice and run to the woodshed to figure out where those sounds were coming from. Hard rock guitarists from the 80s to today will tell you Eddie Van Halen and the first VH album were huge influences on their playing.

I can't ignore that important history just because a later VH album was "harder" or "rocked more."

+1

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Dec 17 2009, 11:36 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 17 2009, 09:13 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Dec 17 2009, 09:08 AM)

this is the greatest debut album of all-time.

I really don't think anything comes close

I can think of 10 off the top of my head

OK......go! smile.gif