What's up with all this Twilight stuff?

rushgoober

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 22 2009, 10:17 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Nov 22 2009, 10:32 AM)
Its a teen phenominon (girls) that is based on a book series. The books have been equated as an equivalent to a teen Harlequin romance novel. Its got a crazy ass following that includes wacky mothers who love this crap.
http://www.twilightmoms.com/

And yet... it's STILL better than Star Wars or LOTR. yes.gif

Finally coming out of the closet eh ? new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

tongue.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 23 2009, 10:15 AM)
The New Moon movie made about $140 million in the U.S. - that's the 3rd biggest week-end opening ever behind The Dark Knight and Spiderman 3! ohmy.gif

80% of those who saw it were women, half under 21 and half over 21.

Interesting...

and one male who must now leave the country in shame. icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 23 2009, 07:44 AM)
The New Moon movie made about $140 million in the U.S. - that's the 3rd biggest week-end opening ever behind The Dark Knight and Spiderman 3! ohmy.gif

Interesting...

Hell, I'd still see it if looked interesting. So far, not so much... no.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 23 2009, 11:53 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Nov 23 2009, 07:44 AM)

Interesting...

Hell, I'd still see it if looked interesting. So far, not so much... no.gif

I saw the movie Twilight and all I can say is, you need to be a 14 year old girl or a sexually oppressed mom to enjoy it. yes.gif

Well folks there are 2 more books so we will get 2 more movies. My daughter is a fan and she didn't like how New Moon ended, it left you waiting for the sequel.

I am so sick of seeing those kids on talk shows promoting the movie. When I told my daughter that Taylor looked like a werewolf she was not amused. tongue.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Nov 23 2009, 12:16 PM)

Well folks there are 2 more books so we will get 2 more movies. My daughter is a fan and she didn't like how New Moon ended, it left you waiting for the sequel.

I am so sick of seeing those kids on talk shows promoting the movie. When I told my daughter that Taylor looked like a werewolf she was not amused. tongue.gif

It's unreal. Even Volvo is capitalizing on it. Edward drives one (as I understand it, this is the case in the book as well), so now Volvo has an ad with a website referencing the connection.

I am so anti-Twilight, it's not even funny. I hate this crap, hate the phenomenon, and I'm immensely glad I'm not on the same bandwagon and in the same theaters as a bunch of swooning 14-year-old girls.

There are also women in their 20s and 30s who are into it, and I've gotten into arguments with them about it. They should know better. My biggest peeve is the unhealthy and unrealistic myths it perpetuates about romantic love. But unfortunately, young women fall for that crap hook, line, and sinker. If I hear one more young woman tell me about their (latest) "soul mate," I think I'll hurl.

I'm lucky some well-meaning friend of my wife's hasn't come along and gotten her hooked on it, too. We were in Target a month ago and passed a display of Twilight books; when I began one of my anti-Twilight tirades, my wife asked me what Twilight was. She said she'd never heard of it! She must be living under a rock.

Edited by GeddyRulz

I, personally enjoyed the series. I read the first book, Twilight, in.. '06 *(whatever year it was released) ? Then by the third one, it just became so popular. I laughed hysterically at the horrible attempts at the first movie, but the second it much better, IMO. I'm not saying it's THE GREATEST EVER, but effect wise, overall acting, and budget? Yeah, sure.

I think it's a decent saga. Not too great, but enough to get me hooked.

I'll definitely see the next two movies, though.

Team Edward all the way.

bolt.gif

Alright due to lengthly discussions with Aly and Karina I borrowed a copy of Twilight from my friend and I'm going to read it. Just out of sheer curiousity... I wanna know what all the hype is about.

We'll see if I can stand it or not... telling you right now... if it's anything like True Blood then I wont like it. I cant STAND True Blood.

QUOTE (Natch @ Dec 3 2009, 01:54 PM)
Since when are vampires all buff and sensitive? I thought vampires were supposed to be scary. confused13.gif

Where have you been, gramps? Sheesh!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Dec 3 2009, 12:35 PM)
Alright due to lengthly discussions with Aly and Karina I borrowed a copy of Twilight from my friend and I'm going to read it. Just out of sheer curiousity... I wanna know what all the hype is about.

We'll see if I can stand it or not... telling you right now... if it's anything like True Blood then I wont like it. I cant STAND True Blood.

If you don't like "True Blood," you'll probably hate "Twilight." Fans of one are usually fans of the other.

QUOTE (Natch @ Dec 3 2009 @ 01:54 PM)

Since when are vampires all buff and sensitive? I thought vampires were supposed to be scary.

These aren't the same vampires you and I grew up with. These "vampires" walk around in the daytime and "sparkle." laugh.gif The only similarity between these so-called vampires and traditional vampires is they subsist on blood and can live forever. Stephanie Meyer admittedly knew nothing about vampires when she chose to write about them, and she didn't correct this problem by doing any research. She should've given a new name to this race of "sparkling" beings she created, because they're not "vampires."

Edited by GeddyRulz

My 13-year-old sister is into it, but even she at this point basically has admitted that it's not great literature and she's mostly still into it because all of her friends are. As far as popular-culture things for her demographic, I'd rather have my sister reading 700-page books than being into Jonas Brothers or Hannah Montana (which thankfully she is not). Since all of my female friends are older than the target audience my direct exposure to it is fairly minimal. So I really don't have a problem with it.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 4 2009, 02:21 AM)

If you don't like "True Blood," you'll probably hate "Twilight." Fans of one are usually fans of the other.

Since when are vampires all buff and sensitive? I thought vampires were supposed to be scary.

These aren't the same vampires you and I grew up with. These "vampires" walk around in the daytime and "sparkle." laugh.gif The only similarity between these so-called vampires and traditional vampires is they subsist on blood and can live forever. Stephanie Meyer admittedly knew nothing about vampires when she chose to write about them, and she didn't correct this problem by doing any research. She should've given a new name to this race of "sparkling" beings she created, because they're not "vampires."

Ya I prefer the Anne Rice type of Vampire Lore... the one with historical background and seductive lures to your death by these undead monsters. I love Lestat!

The vampire culture has been sexed up these days. We got True Blood where these Undead creatures can somehow manage to get it up enough to have sex with eachother and with humans. Then we got Twilight where it's all about witholding the sex from the relationships and being "vegetarians" meaning not eating people, only animals.

I mean don't get me wrong Im intrigued by this new vein that Vampire culture has opened but personally for me it's not as interesting as the other ones.

It was created to be an 'equal' to Harry Potter, but instead has become a huge embarrassment. The writer can't write worth shit (trust me, I've looked at the books and they're awful), and the plot lines are just plain ridiculous. I actually feel stupider after looking at a clip from a Twilight movie.

I agree with Stephen King on this one: "The difference between them is that J.K. Rowling is an incredibly adapt writer, and Stephanie Meyer can't write worth a darn." Or something like that.

What's scary is that after Stephen King made that quote, some psycho teenage girl (who looked like she was bipolar or something) got on YouTube and posted a video of her screaming obscenities at SK and basically acting like Chris Crocker (Oh, it's so mean, why don't they leave my beautiful Twilight series alone! Sob!) *facepalm*

I hate to think of what teenage girls are like now, if they're watching Twilight and listening to autotune music. All that marketed crap must be rotting their brains.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Dec 4 2009, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 4 2009, 09:03 AM)
Never heard of it confused13.gif

That's because you don't have ovaries and aren't under the age of 20. laugh.gif

Okay, I have now corrected this and watched an "acquired" copy of Twilight.

I wish I hadn't.

That is all.......

QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 5 2009, 04:30 PM)

I wish I hadn't.

That is all.......

I feel your pain.

I have a friend who likes Twilight. I really hope she doesn't drag me to New Moon. If she does, I might have to shoot myself.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 5 2009, 05:30 PM)

I wish I hadn't.

That is all.......

I'm jealous in that you seem to be somewhat insulated from a lot of this nonsense.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Dec 4 2009, 01:43 PM)

Ya I prefer the Anne Rice type of Vampire Lore... the one with historical background and seductive lures to your death by these undead monsters. I love Lestat!

The vampire culture has been sexed up these days. We got True Blood where these Undead creatures can somehow manage to get it up enough to have sex with eachother and with humans. Then we got Twilight where it's all about witholding the sex from the relationships and being "vegetarians" meaning not eating people, only animals.

I mean don't get me wrong Im intrigued by this new vein that Vampire culture has opened but personally for me it's not as interesting as the other ones.

How about a real vampire series?

We'll see if I can stand it or not... telling you right now... if it's anything like True Blood then I wont like it. I cant STAND True Blood.[/quote]

I like True Blood, and although I haven't seen the Twilight movies(and never will) My wife has taken my 16 yr old niece to both of them and told me there ok but definitely aimed for the teenage girl crowd. I hate to judge something without seeing it, but in this case I think it's safe to say that Twilight and it's latest chapter are NOTHING like True Blood. Sooo I would hate Twilight and tired of all the vampire diaries tv crap an off shoot Twilight adolescent garbage!....

My niece liked or should I say LOVED the first Twilight and told me New Moon was good but not as great or awesome as original... I'll take her word on it!!! eyesre4.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ Dec 6 2009, 10:27 PM)
I like True Blood, and although I haven't seen the Twilight movies(and never will) My wife has taken my 16 yr old niece to both of them  and told me there ok but definitely aimed for the teenage girl crowd. I hate to judge something without seeing it, but in this case I think it's safe to say that Twilight and it's latest chapter are NOTHING like True Blood. Sooo I would hate Twilight and tired of all the vampire diaries tv crap an off shoot Twilight adolescent garbage!....
                                        My niece liked or should I say LOVED the first Twilight and  told me New Moon was good but not as great or awesome as original...  I'll take her word on it!!! eyesre4.gif  laugh.gif

I'm not interested in Twilight (though I suspect I will watch the movies eventually when they come on cable), but True Blood is the shit - that show rules. yes.gif 1022.gif

Edited by rushgoober