VAN HALEN is...

right now I'm listening to a live in Uruguay '83 boot. As far as live performances go, I gotta say the early years when they were driven and focused, DLR was pretty amazing but after say 1981 or so, from all the VH boots Ive heard I dont think Dave ever sang a song from start to finish in tune, on time, and the right lyrics.

Those shows from '81 to '84 are hard to listen to. Eddie and the boys are professionals and come to play every night but Dave was just a parody of himself at that point.But those shows from '76-79 are amazing.

I know all the DLR fanboys are gonna bust my nuts on what I said but Ive been a VH fan since '78 and I love those studio albums with Dave but maybe there's a reason VH didnt put out an official live album until '93 (unless you count the '86 video/DVD). The DLR Van Halen was one constant road party but it just didnt translate well into an actual concert to listen to over and over again and that is kinda sad for all of us long time VH fans.

Edited by Bastille Dave

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 13 2010, 09:36 PM)
David Lee Roth-era Van Halen comes across so effortlessly.

Sammy Hagar-era Van Halen comes across very calculatingly.

I like some of the Sammy Hagar-era Van Halen. I like ALL of the David Lee Roth-era Van Halen.

this. yes.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ May 15 2010, 04:52 AM)
right now I'm listening to a live in Uruguay '83 boot. As far as live performances go, I gotta say the early years when they were driven and focused, DLR was pretty amazing but after say 1981 or so, from all the VH boots Ive heard I dont think Dave ever sang a song from start to finish in tune, on time, and the right lyrics.

Those shows from '81 to '84 are hard to listen to. Eddie and the boys are professionals and come to play every night but Dave was just a parody of himself at that point.But those shows from '76-79 are amazing.

I know all the DLR fanboys are gonna bust my nuts on what I said but Ive been a VH fan since '78 and I love those studio albums with Dave but maybe there's a reason VH didnt put out an official live album until '93 (unless you count the '86 video/DVD). The DLR Van Halen was one constant road party but it just didnt translate well into an actual concert to listen to over and over again and that is kinda sad for all of us long time VH fans.

Eddie has said that they didnt release any live albums with Dave for pretty much the reasons you gave.

It was more of a visual experience when Dave was with them. All the jumping around and shit. It would have sounded like shit as just an audio release.

Have you ever heard the performance they gave at the US Festival in '83?...I am pretty sure they were all ripped out of their minds. Dave is incoherent, and Eddie is a sloppy mess.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 15 2010, 08:00 AM)

Have you ever heard the performance they gave at the US Festival in '83?...I am pretty sure they were all ripped out of their minds. Dave is incoherent, and Eddie is a sloppy mess.

yeah, ive heard it and the DLR you hear in that show is the DLR that is on every bootleg that ive heard from '81-'84. Drunk and wild and outta control. Eddie usually plays well, pretty close to the original studio songs with a few variations but Dave screws up the songs so much that it screws up the whole band and they mess up the beat alot.

The early shows from the 70's, they sound great, like they were on a mission to conquer the world. Then it kinda got away from 'em somewhere around 1981 or 82.

youre right though, they were very much a visual band and hard to capture their live sound on record. I think if they wouldve really tried hard and recorded some shows in 1981 and 1982 and then released a live album back in 1982, it wouldve rocked the world!! We would still be talking about it today as being one of the great live albums of the early 80's.

Edited by Bastille Dave

^^^hey Earl, I see you are bump-happy today bumper.gif

yeah, those first 4 or 5 VH albums are special in rock history. I don't know about anybody else but I still get goosebumps sometimes listening to Eddie's guitar on those early records. Sometimes I'll play an album side or two and all I'll listen to is the guitar, just the guitar. Still one of my favorite guitarists ever (in those early years).

signed,

"The Ice Cream Man"

Edited by Bastille Dave

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 15 2011, 02:42 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 1 2009, 04:32 PM)
...the greatest American rock band ever.

Yes the are. Minus all of that Hagar/Cherone Shite. 1022.gif

"FIRE IN THE HOLE!"

DLR is shite, IMO. I can't tolerate his overbearing assness anymore. Van Hagar though was awesome music to me. They really created mature music and stopped sounding like pre-pubescent kids. It wouldn't surprise me if adding SH to the mix made the band more lucrative as well.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Aug 15 2011, 01:59 AM)
^^^hey Earl, I see you are bump-happy today bumper.gif

yeah, those first 4 or 5 VH albums are special in rock history. I don't know about anybody else but I still get goosebumps sometimes listening to Eddie's guitar on those early records. Sometimes I'll play an album side or two and all I'll listen to is the guitar, just the guitar. Still one of my favorite guitarists ever (in those early years).

signed,

"The Ice Cream Man"

Hey Dave!

Yeah, I was overkill last night. As you know I rarely ever bump up old threads but man when that beer starts flowing and that old Van Halen is rolling I go out of control. I mean I have "Loss Of Control."

Hey speaking about "Women And Children First" I had a strange Van Halen connection happen last night.

After blasting VAN HALEN S/T I put on "Better Of Dead" on blu-ray. Do you remember that movie with John Cusack?

Well in the fast food joint there is a "Everybody Wants Some" Poster on the wall. All of the sudden the Van Halen song starts to play. Frigging claymation hamburgers singing to Van Halen. Man, what a trip.

Timing truly is everything as I didn't remember that part of the film.

I love Van Halen, but I think these guys take the cake as America's Greatest Rock Band:

http://israbox.com/uploads/posts/2007-10/1192596375_528582.jpg

QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Aug 16 2011, 12:31 AM)
I love Van Halen, but I think these guys take the cake as America's Greatest Rock Band:

http://israbox.com/uploads/posts/2007-10/1192596375_528582.jpg

yes.gif goodpost.gif

I like Van Halen but the Allman Brothers are one of the greatest bands of all time. And they're still performing and playing great shows.

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Aug 16 2011, 12:29 AM)
I used to like Van Halen a lot, but their music is so overplayed on the radio...and I can't stand David Lee Roth no.gif Eddie's really f***ing talented, but their music just isn't very good to me anymore.

They were one of my favorites for a while but I haven't really listened to them lately.

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Aug 15 2011, 11:29 PM)
I used to like Van Halen a lot, but their music is so overplayed on the radio...and I can't stand David Lee Roth no.gif Eddie's really f***ing talented, but their music just isn't very good to me anymore.

Someone still listens to the radio? biggrin.gif wink.gif

If we're talking greates American individual musicians, Bob Dylan, Little Richard and Chuck Berry need mentioning. But since the thread says "band" arguements can be made for Van Halen, TP & The Heartbreakers, Allmans, Bruce and the E Street Band and The Dead but IMO The Eagles get the title as America's greatest band ever.

EDIT: Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Metallica and Kiss deserve mention as well but I'm still gonna say The Eagles.

Edited by driventotheedge