It Might Get Loud

Earthshine

Did not think this should go in the Video Vertigo section because this is not just another movie.

A great documentary about guitar playing and the passion and love of playing the guitar discussed by Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White.

White is no doubt the apprentice here, while The Edge is a veteran and Jimmy is simply the Master. I like U2 and had never heard of White. But seeing this film for the sake of seeing Jimmy take you on a tour of Hedley Grange (where Led Zeppelin IV, Houses Of The Holy and some of Physical Graffitti were recorded) seeing 8mm film of the band there and Jimmy at Olympic Studios (where the first Led Zeppelin album was recorded) doing sessions and play you some of his favorite records in his own house is more than worth the price of admission. I certainly will see this movie a few more times. Best music movie made in years. common001.gif

Of all the great players in the world they pick these three ?

QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 19 2009, 08:51 AM)

Yeah i was thinking the same thing dude. I mean, i can see Page for his legendary status, but the other two, no.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Oct 19 2009, 08:59 AM)

Yeah i was thinking the same thing dude. I mean, i can see Page for his legendary status, but the other two, no.gif

those two were chosen for their ability to sell movie tickets.

QUOTE (tangy @ Oct 19 2009, 09:29 AM)

A very sad state and reason not to watch this crap

Sounds awesome! I've gotta check this out!

Whenever I hear about Jimmy Page it reminds me of a young guitarist I used to be in a cover band with that claimed "jimmy page sucks, jimi hendrix sucked and eddie van halen is the greatest player ever!"

Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but I wanted to break his crappy jap guitar over his head every time I heard that come out of his mouth.

Sorry to distract from this thread, guys, but I'm sure you can understand my frustrations... rage.gif

It will be worth it to see just for Page, but I can empathize with you. Jack White is a fellow Detroiter, but I just don't have the same kind of appreciation for his body of work that many people do. The Edge may not be the be all to end all but he has made his mark and influenced many of today's artists imho.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Oct 19 2009, 11:08 AM)

It will be worth it to see just for Page, but I can empathize with you. Jack White is a fellow Detroiter, but I just don't have the same kind of appreciation for his body of work that many people do. The Edge may not be the be all to end all but he has made his mark and influenced many of today's artists imho.

i am just being a knucklehead. of course they made the movies to sell as many tickets as possible and from that standpoint they probably could not picked a better three. White for the younger crowd, The Edge for the older crowd and Page for us old farts. I guess White is more popular than i realized.

QUOTE (tangy @ Oct 19 2009, 02:40 PM)

i am just being a knucklehead. of course they made the movies to sell as many tickets as possible and from that standpoint they probably could not picked a better three. White for the younger crowd, The Edge for the older crowd and Page for us old farts. I guess White is more popular than i realized.

It's not just for his popularity, he has played with a lot of well respected, influential musicians and they have all spoke highly of his talent and musical genius. Jack White is an extremely talented song writer whether you appreciate his style of music or not, a lot of other people seem to agree with me.

I remember seeing the White Stripes at a club show in Detroit back when I lived there for a brief period. It was before they played the MTV Awards and all of a sudden got huge with the album White Blood Cells. Been a supporter of their music ever since. smile.gif

I will be checking out this film.. it looks pretty good.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Oct 19 2009, 02:55 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Oct 19 2009, 02:40 PM)

It's not just for his popularity, he has played with a lot of well respected, influential musicians and they have all spoke highly of his talent and musical genius. Jack White is an extremely talented song writer whether you appreciate his style of music or not, a lot of other people seem to agree with me.

I remember seeing the White Stripes at a club show in Detroit back when I lived there for a brief period. It was before they played the MTV Awards and all of a sudden got huge with the album White Blood Cells. Been a supporter of their music ever since. smile.gif

I will be checking out this film.. it looks pretty good.

funny thing is, i went to high school with Dexter Romweber, who is one of jack whites major influences. Dexter still plays and was one very, very strange dude when i knew him.

"Dexter Romweber was and is a huge influence on my music. I owned all of his records as a teenager, and was thrilled at the fact that we were able to play together recently on tour. His attitude towards music is remarkable. And his songwriting, along with his love of classic American music from the south, be it rockabilly, country or R&B, is one of the best kept secrets of the rock n roll underground."- Jack White (White Stripes)

http://www.myspace.com/dexterromweberduo

Jack White is brilliant. I don't understand how people don't think he's a great guitarist.

The Edge relies too much on his effects. Personally, I think he uses them to cover up the fact he's not that innovative. He's great in U2, though. But they write the same damn song over and over.

There's nothing I can add about Jimmy Page.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 20 2009, 01:36 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Oct 20 2009, 05:08 PM)
I sort of guessed people on here would hate on Jack White and the Edge. Both of them are awesome and deserve to be in this movie. I'm excited to see it.

Damn straight yes.gif

wheres the hate?

i guess if you want to see some we could oblige but there has been none so far.

QUOTE (tangy @ Oct 20 2009, 08:10 AM)
I sort of guessed people on here would hate on Jack White and the Edge. Both of them are awesome and deserve to be in this movie. I'm excited to see it.

Damn straight yes.gif

wheres the hate?

I agree.

I dont HATE Jack White. Its just when i think of guitar greats, he doesnt come up on the list for me. In fairness, i dont know a lot of his stuff, but i have an idea of what he sounds like. Maybe im just to old school when it comes to guitar playing.

QUOTE (tangy @ Oct 21 2009, 01:10 AM)

Damn straight yes.gif

wheres the hate?

I meant more how awesome this movie sounds. As for the hatred, there always been, shall we say, a majority of disliking for Jack and Meg since I've been around at least, no question. I have absolutely no idea why wtf.gif As usual no explanations, just meh meh meh.

metaldad, i heard that they are doing a drumming documentary also. It will be with Neil Peart, Danny Carey and Jack Whites sister. laugh.gif