• My Arms Your Hearse
    • Still Life
    • Blackwater Park
    • Deliverance
    • Damnation
    • Ghost Reveries
    • Watershed

Ok. 10 listens is enough.

It's a good album but not great. Easily their most "proggy" to date, proggy in the traditional 70s sense. There's a lot of vintage 70s hard rock sounds and certainly Rainbow/Purple can be heard. Picture a hybrid of Deep Purple, Rush, Yes, Camel and Floyd. In fact they sound a lot like Riverside on this album which isn't quite the contradiction it sounds, Riverside with more depth and heavier.

And there is depth, it took me 4 or 5 listens to decide whether I even liked it. I can't really name a single standout track, the album needs to be judged as a whole. I think maybe this album is a means to an end - a way of ditching the Death Metal before heading deeper into Prog territory. They could sink or swim at this point so it is still a huge gamble.

7.5/10. Very promising.

Edited by Tony R

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 12 2011, 01:18 PM)
...I think maybe this album is a means to an end - a way of ditching the Death Metal before heading deeper into Prog territory. They could sink or swim at this point so it is still a huge gamble....

I certainly hope the ditching of growls is the future. And what has stuck me about some of their older music, is that the melody lends itself to uplifting lyrics and not the sorrow and pain normally written about. But their fanbase likes that stuff I guess.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 12 2011, 12:18 PM)

It's a good album but not great. Easily their most "proggy" to date, proggy in the traditional 70s sense. There's a lot of vintage 70s hard rock sounds and certainly Rainbow/Purple can be heard. Picture a hybrid of Deep Purple, Rush, Yes, Camel and Floyd. In fact they sound a lot like Riverside on this album which isn't quite the contradiction it sounds, Riverside with more depth and heavier.

And there is depth, it took me 4 or 5 listens to decide whether I even liked it. I can't really name a single standout track, the album needs to be judged as a whole. I think maybe this album is a means to an end - a way of ditching the Death Metal before heading deeper into Prog territory. They could sink or swim at this point so it is still a huge gamble.

7.5/10. Very promising.

So, you're looking at this as somewhat of a transitional album for the band.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 12 2011, 10:08 PM)

7.5/10. Very promising.

I think so yes. There are still elements of the Death Metal roots of the band and reading interviews I expect these to have completely gone for the next album, as long as this album is a commercial step forward...

QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 12 2011, 01:56 PM)
Nepenthe has King Crimson, Steve Hackett and the psychedelic kitchen sink thrown in for good measure!

yes.gif

If Mikael Akerfeldt wrote a good portion of the music, I am getting really pumped for his collab with Steven Wilson who is still riding the King Crimson remixing wave, in part. It could be some very interesting music.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 12 2011, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 12 2011, 10:08 PM)

7.5/10. Very promising.

I think so yes. There are still elements of the Death Metal roots of the band and reading interviews I expect these to have completely gone for the next album, as long as this album is a commercial step forward...

You know, it was the death metal aspect that kept me away from Opeth for soooooooo long... but after finally giving the band a try (about 2 years ago) I fell in love with the group... I still am not the biggest supporter of growling vocals, but I grew accustomed to them and in some instances can say I enjoy them....

I dig the fact that Opeth is moving in this direction, but it feels weird that they are moving away from that element that made them what they are..... I won't really miss the death element that the band had... though I am sure some of the fanbois will...

I am really excited to hear "Heritage", and I am somone who will not listen to leaked versions, Ill wait to the drop date...but It's still awkward to see Opeth going this direction musically... even though I enjoy the direction they are going... If that makes any sense.

Just got an e-mail update on the box set:

Attention Opeth Fans!

We are very excited to announce that we have received the box sets on time!

We are packing them in boxes and shipping them out as we speak.

The Digital album will go out some time early Monday morning.

Here is a picture of one of the box sets we cracked open to see inside. This box set looks great!

Enjoy!

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/tjtull/OpethBoxsetPic.jpg

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 13 2011, 09:00 PM)
I am really excited to hear "Heritage", and I am somone who will not listen to leaked versions, Ill wait to the drop date...but It's still awkward to see Opeth going this direction musically... even though I enjoy the direction they are going... If that makes any sense.

You don't have to listen to leaked versions. It is streaming on NPR! 653.gif

Currently listening to snippets of the new album. Very impressive. I've always avoided these guys because of the whole death metal growling thing. If I wanted to listen to my late grandmother clear her phlegm sodden throat, I'd have recorded her. Sorry, that's what that growling sounds like to me.

Tell me this, has he stopped growling completely, what albums should I start with, what albums should I avoid?

Thanks! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 14 2011, 09:39 AM)
Currently listening to snippets of the new album. Very impressive. I've always avoided these guys because of the whole death metal growling thing. If I wanted to listen to my late grandmother clear her phlegm sodden throat, I'd have recorded her. Sorry, that's what that growling sounds like to me.

Tell me this, has he stopped growling completely, what albums should I start with, what albums should I avoid?

Thanks! 1022.gif

Download and install Spotify then search for these no growl songs:

A Fair Judgement

Burden

Harvest

Isolation Years

To Bid You Farewell

Face Of Melinda

Coil

Porcelain Heart

Hex Omega

The Drapery Falls

Atonement

Hours of Wealth

Death Whispered Lullaby

Credence

Benighted

I don't know if there are others. Burden blows me away. Vocal control is incredible.

Opeth Heritage and Black Country Communion 2 are the best Classic Rock albums to come out in decades, but is that a good thing?

Opeth need to kick on because this album, as good as it is, is very self-conscious. It says look we kind of like King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Camel and those kind of bands so are you (the listener) ok with that? I mean Nepenthe starts off with a classic Gentle Giant signature and there's bars from Red by KC thrown in elsewhere quite deliberately I feel. They need to develop their own "New Opeth" sound or they'll fail by not identifying a target audience.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 14 2011, 11:46 AM)
Opeth Heritage and Black Country Communion 2 are the best Classic Rock albums to come out in decades, but is that a good thing?
Opeth need to kick on because this album, as good as it is, is very self-conscious. It says look we kind of like King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Camel and those kind of bands so are you (the listener) ok with that? I mean Nepenthe starts off with a classic Gentle Giant signature and there's bars from Red by KC thrown in elsewhere quite deliberately I feel. They need to develop their own "New Opeth" sound or they'll fail by not identifying a target audience.

Interesting observations and I agree that elements of other bands do run through Heritage. However, I still feel like there's a signature Opeth sound and feel to Heritage that pulls it all together. The move toward full-on prog could have been a bit more subtle, to bring more fans along, but I don't think they are about being subtle...in any way.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Sep 14 2011, 08:15 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 14 2011, 11:46 AM)

Interesting observations and I agree that elements of other bands do run through Heritage. However, I still feel like there's a signature Opeth sound and feel to Heritage that pulls it all together. The move toward full-on prog could have been a bit more subtle, to bring more fans along, but I don't think they are about being subtle...in any way.

That's pretty reasonable. I think the truth might be somewhere between us...

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 14 2011, 08:39 AM)

Thanks! 1022.gif

If you don't like growling get the new one and Damnation.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 12 2011, 06:18 PM)

7.5/10. Very promising.

I am going to upgrade my rating to 8.5/10

QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 15 2011, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 12 2011, 06:18 PM)

7.5/10. Very promising.

I am going to upgrade my rating to 8.5/10

Ah, the sign of a great album. It gets better with more plays.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 14 2011, 07:25 PM)

Thanks! 1022.gif

Damnation = schla03.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 15 2011, 12:07 PM)
surprised no one is talking about the tour that starts next week. they keep skipping my hometown. bummer as i am not going drive that far to see these guys. just saw they announced 26 dates in europe too.

listening to the NPR stream now. cool10.gif

I'm taking my son to the Dallas show on Oct. 6. We're both really psyched. Got that cool early entry, signed CD package. Sucks they won't be near you. Have you seen them live?

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Sep 15 2011, 03:25 PM)

Thanks! 1022.gif

Damnation = schla03.gif

I don't have all their albums but from what I've heard Damnation is my favorite.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 15 2011, 05:06 PM)

Thanks! 1022.gif

Damnation = schla03.gif

I don't have all their albums but from what I've heard Damnation is my favorite.

Listened to a lot of Damnation today via Spotify. I will be picking this up. yes.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 15 2011, 06:33 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 15 2011, 05:06 PM)

Thanks! 1022.gif

Damnation = schla03.gif

Listened to a lot of Damnation today via Spotify. I will be picking this up. yes.gif

If you like Damnation, then the Lamentations DVD is a MUST have. Plus, it has a totally bad-ass version of Deliverance on it!! I turn that song up to 11 every time it comes on.