• Morningrise
    • My Arms Your Hearse
    • Still Life
    • Blackwater Park
    • Deliverance
    • Damnation
    • Ghost Reveries
    • Watershed

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 22 2011, 01:38 AM)
Damn!  I am listening to the new album right now.
I was sooooo excited to hear this record.  I thought for sure they were going to top "Watershed."

However after one listening I am totally bored.

Roadrunner Records is scooping up all the great modern prog bands and turning them into boring shells of their empty selves.

I guess this means that the new Rush record is going to be PURE METAL since they have been around a lot longer than DT and Opeth.

Believe me though, I won't hold my breath.

The new Opeth sounds like "Watershed" being played at half speed on the moon.

New DT sucks for you and now this? Oh boy, this is not your year for new Prog Metal from respected artists I guess.

Frankly, I like the new direction quite a bit. I am looking forward to more of this. yes.gif

Although, I can see where you wouldn't like it because it isn't as in your face. Hopefully you will find this album to grow on you, like some of the best music does.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn! I am listening to the new album right now.
I was sooooo excited to hear this record. I thought for sure they were going to top "Watershed."

Roadrunner Records is scooping up all the great modern prog bands and turning them into boring shells of their empty selves.

I guess this means that the new Rush record is going to be PURE METAL since they have been around a lot longer than DT and Opeth.

There are two songs on Heritage that I really like - The Devil's Orchard and Slither. The rest is really just "eh."

I was driving home from work two nights ago and I put the album on to give it a good in-the-car kind of listen. I'm not sure about Nepenthe, but I know for certain that beginning with Haxprocess, and through the rest of the album, I was completely bored.

I got the distinct feeling they had morphed into a Jazz Fusion group, and I was reminded of the scene from Spinal Tap where they re-invented themselves as a Jazz Fusion group.

The last track, Marrow of the Earth, started out promising. Then about three minutes into it, I realized it was going to be an instrumental. And then it just ended, and I was like, "What is this fuckery?"

So yeah, Earl, I am with you on this one. Watershed, Ghost Reveries, Still Life, and Blackwater Park will be the Opeth that I listen to.

Well, I think it's GREAT.

There will always be people who don't appreciate change with a band. But, I welcome it. Who wants 20 albums from one band of nothing but the same old shit over and over? I'm really diggin' on this CD so far. I'm only on my second listen, so I don't have a whole lot else to say about it. But, to say they're turning in to a Jazz Fusion band? Seriously? Come on now... eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 22 2011, 08:23 AM)

There will always be people who don't appreciate change with a band. But, I welcome it. Who wants 20 albums from one band of nothing but the same old shit over and over? I'm really diggin' on this CD so far. I'm only on my second listen, so I don't have a whole lot else to say about it. But, to say they're turning in to a Jazz Fusion band? Seriously? Come on now... eyesre4.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 22 2011, 11:23 AM)

I'm not saying they are turning into Spyro-Gyra or anything like that.

smile.gif

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Sep 22 2011, 03:45 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 22 2011, 08:23 AM)

There will always be people who don't appreciate change with a band. But, I welcome it. Who wants 20 albums from one band of nothing but the same old shit over and over? I'm really diggin' on this CD so far. I'm only on my second listen, so I don't have a whole lot else to say about it. But, to say they're turning in to a Jazz Fusion band? Seriously? Come on now...  eyesre4.gif

goodpost.gif

Agreed smile.gif

I doubt it'll turn out to be my favourite, but I'm certainly enjoying it.

.....Who wants 20 albums from one band of nothing but the same old shit over and over?...

<cough> AC <cough> DC <cough>

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 22 2011, 11:54 AM)
.....Who wants 20 albums from one band of nothing but the same old shit over and over?...

Heritage was only their 10th studio album. Well short of 20.

1287.gif

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Sep 22 2011, 10:56 AM)

1287.gif

I didn't SAY it was their 20th album.

Besides, weren't you just recently dragged kicking and screaming into listening to Opeth? And, NOW you're the expert? huh.gif

wink.gif

Edited by sullysue

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 22 2011, 10:54 AM)

your title! ohmy.gif laugh.gif

awww... poor Gompers.

Edited by sullysue

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 22 2011, 12:00 PM)
QUOTE (-Ender- @ Sep 22 2011, 10:56 AM)

1287.gif

I didn't SAY it was their 20th album.

Besides, weren't you just recently dragged kicking and screaming into listening to Opeth? And, NOW you're the expert? huh.gif

wink.gif

I'm the expert at knowing what I like!!!

1287.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 22 2011, 01:01 PM)

awww... poor Gompers.

Wow. Just saw that. laugh.gif

Better than Sex Fiend. unsure.gif

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Sep 22 2011, 06:21 AM)
Damn!  I am listening to the new album right now.
I was sooooo excited to hear this record.  I thought for sure they were going to top "Watershed."

There are two songs on Heritage that I really like - The Devil's Orchard and Slither. The rest is really just "eh."

I was driving home from work two nights ago and I put the album on to give it a good in-the-car kind of listen. I'm not sure about Nepenthe, but I know for certain that beginning with Haxprocess, and through the rest of the album, I was completely bored.

I got the distinct feeling they had morphed into a Jazz Fusion group, and I was reminded of the scene from Spinal Tap where they re-invented themselves as a Jazz Fusion group.

The last track, Marrow of the Earth, started out promising. Then about three minutes into it, I realized it was going to be an instrumental. And then it just ended, and I was like, "What is this fuckery?"

So yeah, Earl, I am with you on this one. Watershed, Ghost Reveries, Still Life, and Blackwater Park will be the Opeth that I listen to.

You need to listen to the first four albums too mate...

trink36.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 22 2011, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 22 2011, 01:01 PM)

awww... poor Gompers.

Wow. Just saw that. laugh.gif

Better than Sex Fiend. unsure.gif

I'm sure you earned it.

laugh.gif

The Death Metal kiddies are throwing their Satanic Bible across the room nowadays laugh.gif