• Damnation
    • Ghost Reveries
    • Watershed

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Sep 29 2011, 09:25 PM)
This one didn't work for me. It will be interesting to see where Heritage ends up settling in most fans perspective of Opeth albums. I don't think it will be very high, ultimately.

That depends entirely on the composition of the fan base. Call Heritage boring if you like, but I see this release as highly creative. It will possibly lead to better things, perhaps more to your and other like minded fans liking. Or maybe the face of the band will forever change. This release was gutsy.

Reminds me of when Hold Your Fire came out. I thought it was wimpy and I hated it for years. It finally grew on me and I enjoy it quite a bit these days. Perhaps this will be the case for fans.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 30 2011, 06:07 AM)
QUOTE (-Ender- @ Sep 29 2011, 09:25 PM)
This one didn't work for me.  It will be interesting to see where Heritage ends up settling in most fans perspective of Opeth albums.  I don't think it will be very high, ultimately.

That depends entirely on the composition of the fan base. Call Heritage boring if you like, but I see this release as highly creative. It will possibly lead to better things, perhaps more to your and other like minded fans liking. Or maybe the face of the band will forever change. This release was gutsy.

Reminds me of when Hold Your Fire came out. I thought it was wimpy and I hated it for years. It finally grew on me and I enjoy it quite a bit these days. Perhaps this will be the case for fans.

I agree, a lot does depend on where you're coming from as a fan. I'm a huge fan of King Crimson and Jethro Tull so the new release seemed very natural to me, as I've always heard those progressive elements in Opeth's music. I'm also a big fan of every other Opeth record, and they have become increasingly progressive over the years. Again, Heritage is a natural "next step" as far as I'm concerned.

To paraphrase MA, I can't wait to see what they do on the next album!!

I will say this, I did notice alot of people in the audience were upset about the lack of gutteral vocals.... at one point early on in the show there was this jackass who kept yelling "Play some f***ing Metal", and "f**k this Mellow shit"....etc

Those people need to clam the hell down.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 4 2011, 09:52 PM)
I will say this, I did notice alot of people in the audience were upset about the lack of gutteral vocals.... at one point early on in the show there was this jackass who kept yelling "Play some f***ing Metal", and "f**k this Mellow shit"....etc

Those people need to clam the hell down.

http://images.marapets.com/water/clam.gif

YOU CLAM THE HELL DOWN

So the concert last night in Austin was awesome.. had alot of fun and took alot of pictures...I got there early and got in line quick and was able to get a 2nd row spot... stayed there the whole time... didn't wanna lose my place for a beer.

So first... and briefly, Katatonia were great, I was very unfamiliar with their stuff but I might go check some stuff out....

Here's a couple of photos from their set

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/321127_1541854562596_1721935193_784061_196897228_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/315964_1541854322590_1721935193_784059_1347855307_n.jpg

Opeth Was Great for starters here's their setlist (SPOILERS)

The Devil's Orchard

I Feel the Dark

Face of Melinda

Porcelain Heart (with drum solo.)

Pyre

Acoustic

The Throat of Winter

Patterns in the Ivy II

Harvest (chorus only, audience lead.)

Closure

Slither

A Fair Judgement

Hex Omega

Encore: Folklore

Higlights for me were "A Fair Judgement" and "Porcelain Heart" both songs were incredible to hear live and just blew me away... as always Mikeal likes to talk in between the songs, and is usually hilarious... Found out that "slither" is a sort of tribute to Dio, and said that he was intentionally ripping off Rainbow with that track.. but still great... Alot of people as I mentioned did not like the setlist, with no gutterals, but I loved it... There was a fan who got on stage during the last track "Hex Omega" and was dragged off by security... kind of a hilarious moment . I had a second row spot, and there was a lot of shoving throughout the show but I didn't mind that much... The people in front of me did leave before the encore so I did get up front for the last song!!!!!

I will say this the acoustics at Stubbs is f***ing amazing... ususally if you are in the front few rows you do not get a good balance of sound, heavy vocals on the middle, and heavy guitar to the left, and heavy bass to the right... and you have to be several rows back to get a good balance of sound.. not at stubbs... great sound from the second row..

Everyone was on fire, very impressed by Fredrik's guitar playing throughout the show.. everyone was just stellar...

The one bad note the whole night is that after the show was over, I went to get a tour shirt, but all they had available were small sizes sad.gif They had several other shirts in my size, but no tour shirts.. (and by the way, the guy selling the shirts at the Opeth shows looks EXACTLY like Simon Pegg(Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz) go to the show and tell me Im wrong!)

Great show, Looking forward to seeing Opeth again...

Ill post some more photos in a bit, but I have no Idea how to scale down the size from Facebook, so I will get those in a seperate post

Here are some photos from the Opeth concert

First a Video I grabbed

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/308160_1541855162611_1721935193_784064_2035497150_n.jpg

The Stage Setup before Opeth took the Stage

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/299929_1541855002607_1721935193_784063_1082228094_n.jpg

Heritage Stage Decoration

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/312217_1541851682524_1721935193_784044_584275942_n.jpg

Mikael and the new Keyboardist

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/309840_1541852322540_1721935193_784048_999646197_n.jpg

Mikael's Guitar with "O" emblem

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/313061_1541853002557_1721935193_784053_1353412469_n.jpg

Band Taking a bow at the end of the show

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/311051_1541853522570_1721935193_784056_1471292829_n.jpg

MELLOTRONS!

I grabbed alot of photos, but these were among the best.

Awesome pics! Video was cool too. Thanks!

Ever since Heritage came out(which is a masterpiece by the way) I've been on a huge Opeth kick. I lost interest for awhile cuz I just couldn't deal with the shitty growling. However, it doesn't really bother me that much anymore- maybe because the music is so genius or the fact that Mikael's growls are the best of them all. I mean you can actually understand some of what he's saying- unlike shit like Cannibal Corpse, Autopsy, etc. and the rest of the growlers. Anyways, been playing the shit out of Watershed lately. f***ing masterpiece! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Oct 10 2011, 06:13 PM)
Ever since Heritage came out(which is a masterpiece by the way) I've been on a huge Opeth kick. I lost interest for awhile cuz I just couldn't deal with the shitty growling. However, it doesn't really bother me that much anymore- maybe because the music is so genius or the fact that Mikael's growls are the best of them all. I mean you can actually understand some of what he's saying- unlike shit like Cannibal Corpse, Autopsy, etc. and the rest of the growlers. Anyways, been playing the shit out of Watershed lately. f***ing masterpiece! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Sep 29 2011, 12:49 AM)
Am I the only one that thinks Watershed is shit? Morningrise was by far my favorite album, though Heritage is growing on me

I'm going to give Morning Rise a spin on the drive home this morning. I've read some good things about it tonight, and especially about the song Black Rose Immortal. I want to see what all the fuss is about.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Oct 15 2011, 12:05 PM)
I just saw them in Winnipeg last weekend.

All I can say is 1022.gif

I've succumb to the Opeth kick as well. I've really fallen in love with Still Life lately.

Did you wear your Derpy-Hooves graphic t-shirt to the Opeth show?

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Oct 15 2011, 03:36 AM)
Am I the only one that thinks Watershed is shit? Morningrise was by far my favorite album, though Heritage is growing on me

I'm going to give Morning Rise a spin on the drive home this morning. I've read some good things about it tonight, and especially about the song Black Rose Immortal. I want to see what all the fuss is about.

Black Rose Immortal is, imo, a perfect song, got everything a good metal song should have, and no excess.

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Oct 15 2011, 05:36 AM)

That album is a veritable riffarama...

1022.gif

So, I checked out Morningrise on the way home, and had to listen to the last song on my drive in this evening.

About half way home this morning, I formed this analogy in my mind as to what I was hearing, and how I was hearing it: Going from listening to an album like Watershed or Ghost Reveries, to listening to Morningrise, is like going from listening to Close to the Edge or Fragile, and then listening to Yes' first album. You can hear the desire and the ambition to do something great in Morningrise, much like you can in Yes. But it isn't until you get to the later albums that they have really mastered their art. (And switching from Watershed to Heritage is like switching from Close to the Edge to Fly From Here. ph34r.gif )

I'm not saying it's bad, but it isn't the Opeth for me. If this had been my introduction to the band, I doubt I would have latched on. It's easy to see how someone who likes that genre to begin with, and who has followed Opeth for a long time could easily acquire each new album as it came out and be thrilled with the offerings. But working backwards through the catalog is much more difficult, especially for someone like me, who appreciates the progressive metal side more than the black/death metal side.

I still have Orchid and My Arms, Your Hearse to listen to. It will be interesting to see how Morningrise fits in between those two. And I already know I love Still Life, so they were heading in a good direction.

I also got the feeling that I was listening to a garage band playing songs at certain points. And when I say that, I mean it sounded like they were being recorded in someone's garage.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Oct 15 2011, 10:05 AM)
I just saw them in Winnipeg last weekend.

All I can say is 1022.gif

I've succumb to the Opeth kick as well. I've really fallen in love with Still Life lately.

I don't own a Derpy tee... I think that's Litehawk. I actually didn't own any pony shirts at the time. I wore a Porcupine Tree shirt. 1022.gif