• Morningrise
    • My Arms Your Hearse
    • Still Life
    • Blackwater Park
    • Deliverance
    • Damnation
    • Ghost Reveries
    • Watershed

If you look at the youtube comments on the video the only people hating on it are the deathmetal fanbois....

I think this is fantastic, and face it... Opeth has been moving in this direction since BWP, don't act like you didn't see it coming.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just discovered...the AIC cover "Would?" by Opeth is incredibly awesome.

Just heard a preview of song samples from Heritage and its got a very classic prog rock feel to it as mentioned in previous advances press reviews. I could here an old school King Crimson and Genesis vibe in the latter tracks on the album. Its very hard to judge on 30 second samples but prepare to hold you're breakfast if you're expecting the usual in you're face heavy riffage, growling, and clean to heavy transistions that their traditionally known for.

I'm sorry if it's not appropriate to talk about leaks here (and I absolutely am going to buy this album) but what the hell this is such a riduculous album in the best way possible. I never would have heard this coming from them in a million years. Also, anybody else get kind of a Rush vibe in Slither? Parts of it remind of The Analog Kid.

QUOTE (quickfree @ Aug 31 2011, 08:59 PM)
Just heard a preview of song samples from Heritage and its got a very classic prog rock feel to it as mentioned in previous advances press reviews. I could here an old school King Crimson and Genesis vibe in the latter tracks on the album. Its very hard to judge on 30 second samples but prepare to hold you're breakfast if you're expecting the usual in you're face heavy riffage, growling, and clean to heavy transistions that their traditionally known for.

I think Burden off of Watershed sounds like it belongs on King Crimson's Red.

I've listened to Heritage once already and I have to say that its a very good album. Very classic prog-ish sound to it with some folk thrown into the mix. Parts of it remind me of Tull. My favorites right now are Folklore and Slither. I don't miss the growls at all. They don't bother me but Akerfeldt had a great singing voice so its nice to see utilize it. Along with DT's new release, I will be buying this when it is officially released.

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Sep 3 2011, 04:56 PM)
I'm sorry if it's not appropriate to talk about leaks here (and I absolutely am going to buy this album) but what the hell this is such a riduculous album in the best way possible. I never would have heard this coming from them in a million years. Also, anybody else get kind of a Rush vibe in Slither? Parts of it remind of The Analog Kid.

Slither sounds like something Blackmore/Dio-esque to me. A couple of my friends agreed.

Great album for me, especially as a prog (esp. Crimson, Genesis. and Tull) fan and Opeth fan--like the perfect combo. Mike's eclectic songwriting style does 70s prog/hard rock...match made in heaven for me.

Can't wait for my vinyl to come :-)

QUOTE (quickfree @ Aug 31 2011, 08:59 PM)

It's a weird album; very unique. It was only a matter of time until they did an album like this. Every album from MAYH on have had increasingly more passages influenced by stuff like Genesis and Crimson (among others) so this wasn't that much of a surprise to me. Heck, I've always asserted to my friends that Opeth's non-linear song structures remind me of early Genesis. Besides being non-fans of Genesis, they agreed wholeheartedly.

However, early 70s prog is a niche genre, so this album is bound to piss off a lot of fanboys, especially the younger ones.

Really liking Heritage so far. Midway though my second listen right now. Anyone else think the beginning of Slither is almost a direct "lift" off of Bastille Day(?)...in a very good way!!

As others have said, the clean vocals are great and I don't miss the growl. There's plenty of "evil" to go around here.

Can't wait to get my copy!! Bet this sounds incredible in 5.1 and on vinyl!!

QUOTE (tjtull @ Sep 5 2011, 09:35 AM)
Really liking Heritage so far. Midway though my second listen right now. Anyone else think the beginning of Slither is almost a direct "lift" off of Bastille Day(?)...in a very good way!!

As others have said, the clean vocals are great and I don't miss the growl. There's plenty of "evil" to go around here.

Can't wait to get my copy!! Bet this sounds incredible in 5.1 and on vinyl!!

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/somuchwant.jpg

My rankings for the Opeth albums I currently own...

Watershed>Ghost Reveries>Still Life>Blackwater Park>Damnation

It will be fun to see where Heritage will fit into this.

I'm really looking forward to the all clean vocals. I have several friends who would really like Opeth w/o the Cookie Monster stuff. I've not only gotten used to it, but I've grown to appreciate it in many cases.

I hope they are still metal, though. I couldn't take Steven Wilson AND Opeth dropping metal in the same year.

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Sep 5 2011, 09:05 AM)

I'm really looking forward to the all clean vocals. I have several friends who would really like Opeth w/o the Cookie Monster stuff. I've not only gotten used to it, but I've grown to appreciate it in many cases.

I hope they are still metal, though. I couldn't take Steven Wilson AND Opeth dropping metal in the same year.

Heritage is a lot more prog and quite a bit less metal, though there are enough metal elements to satisfy me.

If Watershed is your favorite, you'll probably love Heritage. It takes the prog of Watershed and expands on it. The music is going further, in that direction.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Sep 5 2011, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (-Ender- @ Sep 5 2011, 09:05 AM)

I'm really looking forward to the all clean vocals.  I have several friends who would really like Opeth w/o the Cookie Monster stuff.  I've not only gotten used to it, but I've grown to appreciate it in many cases.

I hope they are still metal, though.  I couldn't take Steven Wilson AND Opeth dropping metal in the same year.

Heritage is a lot more prog and quite a bit less metal, though there are enough metal elements to satisfy me.

If Watershed is your favorite, you'll probably love Heritage. It takes the prog of Watershed and expands on it. The music is going further, in that direction.

My favorites on Watershed are Burden, Porcelain Heart, and Hex Omega, all clean vocals. But I do like the entire album. I was lucky to get the 3 bonus tracks as well. Bridge of Sighs is killer!

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Sep 7 2011, 10:06 AM)
Awe yeah...Heritage is silly!

I need this, might help me move.

Slither is an interesting track. It's like a potted history of Ritchie Blackmore's career, Deep Purple Mks I & II through Rainbow and ending with Blackmore's Night...

Starts off like "Burn" too though I thought of Rush's Bastille Day initially. There is some Rush channeling on the previous track.

Edited by Tony R

QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 11 2011, 07:05 AM)
Slither is an interesting track. It's like a potted history of Ritchie Blackmore's career, Deep Purple Mks I & II through Rainbow and ending with Blackmore's Night...

Starts off like "Burn" too though I thought of Rush's Bastille Day initially. There is some Rush channeling on the previous track.

No luck on YouTube...looked torrent side. Seems to be a possible leak.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 11 2011, 08:36 PM)
You're joking?

The album was leaked a while ago!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/reedlover/8641400c.jpg

Found it last night and listened to it. Amazing! Went over to Amazon and pre-ordered it. common001.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 11 2011, 09:41 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 11 2011, 07:36 PM)
You're joking?

The album was leaked a while ago!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/reedlover/8641400c.jpg

perks of a being a progarchives admin?

laugh.gif

Very nice.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Sep 12 2011, 08:59 AM)
For those who haven't heard it, Heritage is streaming on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.h...664&m=140262406

Not sure how long it will be up there, so have a listen.

Nice find. Streaming right now.

This is great proggy stuff.