The phenomenon of Twitter

Steevo

QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 15 2009, 03:01 PM)
I just heard 18 mill users by the end of the year ohmy.gif This thing is huge. Staggering. This one left me on the island no.gif Anyone else here using this?

What's Twitter?

laugh.gif

Its all I can do to post on TRF. Seriously, how do people have the time to do this?

QUOTE (GotRush @ Sep 16 2009, 12:12 AM)
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif

But then again, I don't even text message either . . . . .

And I have device's that do both !

I did use a Typewriter Today applaudit.gif

I don't use text messaging either. In fact, I had the function on my service disabled because of the spam.

I clicked on it once, and that's about the extent of my experience with it.

i don't use this or facebook. never will i use them

I've been experimenting with Twitter in the professional sense. I've been following professional associations in my career path (librarianship) and in turn have made my alias: dusty_book . But I don't post as me, I post as a book in a library laugh.gif

Follow me if you think it might be boring; it's not wink.gif

Twitter is an example of all that is wrong with the world today. I cannot believe so many people have so much time on their hands and actually believe that their mundane lives are of interest to others. The fact that their mundane lives ARE of interest to others, scares me even more. wacko.gif

QUOTE (Syrinx @ Sep 16 2009, 11:54 AM)
Twitter is an example of all that is wrong with the world today. I cannot believe so many people have so much time on their hands and actually believe that their mundane lives are of interest to others. The fact that their mundane lives ARE of interest to others, scares me even more. wacko.gif

I think Twitter is successful for groups, organizations, news stations, etc. Like, if you follow CNN, instead of going to their website 76 times a day, twitter feeds will just update you on the top stories, all while in Twitter. And at the same time you can see if the store you shop at is having a sale, or that a product got recalled, that sort of thing -- depending on who you follow of course.

Facebook is better for socializing, meeting people and conversing with the people you know in real life but perhaps don't live near you.

My $.02

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Sep 15 2009, 03:11 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 15 2009, 03:01 PM)
I just heard 18 mill users by the end of the year ohmy.gif  This thing is huge.  Staggering.  This one left me on the island no.gif  Anyone else here using this?

What's Twitter?

Twitter is a derivative of Twit ! confused13.gif

Could they not come up with a better name than Twitter ? fing.gif

But I guess we got used to Yahoo & Google applaudit.gif

But I'm thinking with a strange new name there is little chance of rights violations or conflicts of interest pokey.gif

Honestly, I don't even know what twitter is. laugh.gif

I'm on facebook, mainly to keep in touch with friends from school (which helps with the job search) and talk to my family who I never get to see.

No, nor do I plan to even see what this is. First there was MySpace, then Facebook, now Twitter. I'm sure there were other big networking sites before and between and there will be new ones popping up all the time.

I'm glad I don't have the amount of free time needed in order to participate in all these networking sites. I TRF and email and that's it. I think people are starting to rely on these sites too much and losing the ability to "network" in person.

QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 16 2009, 08:12 PM)
No, nor do I plan to even see what this is. First there was MySpace, then Facebook, now Twitter. I'm sure there were other big networking sites before and between and there will be new ones popping up all the time.

I'm glad I don't have the amount of free time needed in order to participate in all these networking sites. I TRF and email and that's it. I think people are starting to rely on these sites too much and losing the ability to "network" in person.

yes.gif

I'm not decrying the whole idea of social networking: it has many benefits. but also lots of disadvantages: security & ID theft being one.

But one man's meat is another man's Big Mac

Archived