Dennis DeYoung vs Steve Perry

The Owl

Who makes your ears bleed more?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes your ears bleed more?

• Dennis DeYoung
    • Steve Perry

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 3 2009, 06:47 AM)
For me, I have solved the Perry vs. DeYoung dilemma by owning no CDs from either of their bands. As a result, my CD players and speakers live happier lives, and they reward me with great music. It's a win-win.

Come on dude! I bet you would like EQUINOX!

Oh and I think you would enjoy the first three Journey albums without Steve Perry.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 3 2009, 03:47 PM)
For me, I have solved the Perry vs. DeYoung dilemma by owning no CDs from either of their bands. As a result, my CD players and speakers live happier lives, and they reward me with great music. It's a win-win.

Oh and I think you would enjoy the first three Journey albums without Steve Perry.

Both bands' earlier material was kinda cool before those attention whore/control freak lead singers castrated their music. I like a few early songs from both of them, but not enough to buy their albums. Especially Styx -- as Pags said, they have not aged well. Even in the early days they always struck me as prog wanna-bes, but were too "light" to pull it off. "Grand Illusion" and "Crystal Ball" were among the few songs where they got it right.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 3 2009, 01:09 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 3 2009, 03:47 PM)

Both bands' earlier material was kinda cool before those attention whore/control freak lead singers castrated their music. I like a few early songs from both of them, but not enough to buy their albums. Especially Styx -- as Pags said, they have not aged well. Even in the early days they always struck me as prog wanna-bes, but were too "light" to pull it off. "Grand Illusion" and "Crystal Ball" were among the few songs where they got it right.

LOL!!

Well said. I love the "castrated" part.

So true.

Oh well I guess you could always do Itunes or something and pick and choose the songs that you want to hear.

"Crystal Ball" is excellent!

On anothet quick STYX note, maybe you would like their really old material.

I'm talking about the first three STYX albums before they were signed to the A&M Records contract.

There's some very good prog laced throughout these four older albums:

STYX (1972)

STYX II (1973)

THE SERPENT IS RISING (1973)

MAN OF MIRACLES (1974)

Give those albums a shot!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 3 2009, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Sep 3 2009, 09:52 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 3 2009, 09:01 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 3 2009, 09:55 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 3 2009, 08:53 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 3 2009, 09:49 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 3 2009, 08:47 AM)

I'd like to see it resolved via a gladitorial/Thunderdome-style death match! yes.gif laugh.gif Perry versus DeYoung! One night only! Two men enter, one man leaves! laugh.gif

Why does one have to leave? How about we put them both in the cage, blast some Porcupine Tree and Rush over the sound system so they can hear some REAL music, lock the gate, then walk away? wink.gif

Yeah, there's merit in that, but I still want me some combat! laugh.gif

Oh don't worry, they'll fight each other anyway. Perry will start singing "Faithfully" to pass the time...DeYoung won't like that, so he'll start screeching out "Babe"... From there. it won't take long. And we'll have cameras set up so we can watch (with no sound...I mean, please!). We'll serve hot dogs and beer and pretzels.

Its funny about Journey and Styx. As musicians, they had talent and were no slouches. Steve Smith and Neal Schon are both great. But yeah, somehow both perry and DeYoung changed them for the worse. Damn shame. Im always on the fence about ripping them completely, not like Night Ranger and REO Speedwagon 062802puke_prv.gif

goodpost.gif

I did see your Night Ranger thread RUSHHEAD, and will admit that whenever i hear Sister Christian , i get all teary eyed sad.gif , that song rocks. But must say no the the rest.

Who's more annoying? DDY by a landslide!! Styx has always been one of my top bands, but even as a child I knew Dennis was schmaltz. He belongs on Broadway. I can listen to him but not if I'm looking at him at the same time.. there's more cheese there than anything Perry ever served up. Perry was always the better vocalist, but then again Dennis can still sing and Perry allegedly can't anymore.

Nice to see so much love for Tommy Shaw, again, one of my favorites since about 1977. He's underrated and overlooked, had it not been for DDY and his need for control of the band I think Styx might have taken a different direction after Po8 and again with Brave New World after the Return to Paradise tour. I don't know if Tommy is technically a better guitarist than Schon, but I'd prefer to listen to him over Schon. A great songwriter also.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Sep 3 2009, 03:14 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 3 2009, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Sep 3 2009, 09:52 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 3 2009, 09:01 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 3 2009, 09:55 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 3 2009, 08:53 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 3 2009, 09:49 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 3 2009, 08:47 AM)

I'd like to see it resolved via a gladitorial/Thunderdome-style death match! yes.gif laugh.gif Perry versus DeYoung! One night only! Two men enter, one man leaves! laugh.gif

Why does one have to leave? How about we put them both in the cage, blast some Porcupine Tree and Rush over the sound system so they can hear some REAL music, lock the gate, then walk away? wink.gif

Yeah, there's merit in that, but I still want me some combat! laugh.gif

Oh don't worry, they'll fight each other anyway. Perry will start singing "Faithfully" to pass the time...DeYoung won't like that, so he'll start screeching out "Babe"... From there. it won't take long. And we'll have cameras set up so we can watch (with no sound...I mean, please!). We'll serve hot dogs and beer and pretzels.

Its funny about Journey and Styx. As musicians, they had talent and were no slouches. Steve Smith and Neal Schon are both great. But yeah, somehow both perry and DeYoung changed them for the worse. Damn shame. Im always on the fence about ripping them completely, not like Night Ranger and REO Speedwagon 062802puke_prv.gif

goodpost.gif

I did see your Night Ranger thread RUSHHEAD, and will admit that whenever i hear Sister Christian , i get all teary eyed sad.gif , that song rocks. But must say no the the rest.

I hear ya dood! Great song.

They aren't a great band, but hell, I grew up with them here in the Bay Area.

Same with Y&T and Tesla!

Mentioned this already but I'm taking the family to see Night Ranger this Saturday. They headline but it's from 4:30 to 6 pm.

Short but sweet. Just like the list of their hits.

Signed,

"Don't Tell Me You Love Me" wub.gif

Night Ranger is easy to rip but they do have some very good guitar players in Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson.

I will defend them although I too get annoyed by the overkill of keyboards.

No when it comes to REO SPEEDWAGON, I have to say that they are totally WEAK SAUCE.

I mean I remember buying "High Infidelity" back in 1981. The same year I bought "Moving Pictures."

I hated that Speedwagon album even back then when I was a kid.

Some things never change.

Granted REO has a few good songs back in the Seventies.

That clever album title comes to mind" "You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish."

I would rather listen to AIR SUPPLY than Speedwagon!

Just kidding.

062802puke_prv.gif

Can`t really compare the two singers as they have different styles and sound nothing alike!

Dennis still sings as well as he always did where Perry on his solo album and Journey comeback album in the 90`s, sounded on the decline!

I think they are unquestionably two of the best singers in rock, with Perry just having the edge for me!

QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 2 2009, 10:48 PM)
I'm shocked the two are being considered in the same category with this poll. Perry is in such a class above DeYoung in terms of vocal ability, there's not even anything TO compare.

I'm not anti DeYoung. Well, maybe I guess I am. I always thought Tommy Shaw was the best part of Styx - not DeYoung. no.gif

You just said everything I would've said. goodpost.gif

Perry's vocals are actually quite amazing. He had a very good and yet very unique voice... which is now being intentionally copied by Journey's replacement singers. Before Perry, nobody sounded like Perry.

And the songs Shaw sang for Styx were better than the DeYoung songs.

In my opinion, the Journey and the Styx episodes of VH1: Behind the Music were two of that show's best.

Sorry, but another post. Just have to defend Journey a bit. tongue.gif

Regarding Perry and DeYoung coming into their respective bands and wussifying an otherwise rocking group, I wanted everyone to realize that Perry was FORCIBLY hoisted on Journey by the band's management. Greg Rolie was doing a perfectly adequate job of singing for Journey, but the band's handlers came along with Steve Perry in tow and said, "Here, this guy is going to be your new lead singer." And for what it's worth, the first few albums they did with Perry were GOOD, and Rolie shared some of the vocals. (Ex., "Feeling That Way" has Rolie on the verses and Perry doing the choruses.)

Confession: yes, it's basically "soft" rock, but I still like some stuff by both Journey and Styx. And even REO Speedwagon, for that matter. Want to compare two vocalists/control freaks who wussified otherwise rocking bands? Pick DeYoung and Kevin Cronin of REO, not DeYoung and Perry.

Last item: I think much of the wussifying of Journey should be put at Jonathan Cain's feet, not Steve Perry's. Journey was still good for a few albums after Perry entered; it was the soft rock songwriting of Jonathan Cain which later wussified them. (And surprise, Cain's name pops up elsewhere in my album collection, getting songwriting credits on other soft rock albums he doesn't perform on.)

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 5 2009, 02:13 AM)
I'm shocked the two are being considered in the same category with this poll.  Perry is in such a class above DeYoung in terms of vocal ability, there's not even anything TO compare.

I'm not anti DeYoung.  Well, maybe I guess I am.  I always thought Tommy Shaw was the best part of Styx - not DeYoung.  no.gif

Perry's vocals are actually quite amazing. He had a very good and yet very unique voice... which is now being intentionally copied by Journey's replacement singers. Before Perry, nobody sounded like Perry.

In my opinion, the Journey and the Styx episodes of VH1: Behind the Music were two of that show's best.

James Labrie is like Steve Perry.

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 7 2009, 12:51 PM)
I'm shocked the two are being considered in the same category with this poll.  Perry is in such a class above DeYoung in terms of vocal ability, there's not even anything TO compare.

I'm not anti DeYoung.  Well, maybe I guess I am.  I always thought Tommy Shaw was the best part of Styx - not DeYoung.  no.gif

Then how come I CAN'T STAND LaBrie's vocals????

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 7 2009, 11:51 AM)

In what sense?

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 7 2009, 01:51 PM)

How? Do they like the ice cream flavors? Then maybe so.

Do they wear the same brand of shoes, perhaps? Okay. They're alike then.

Do they watch the same shows then call each other to talk about them?

COOL - they're just like two peas in a pod, then.

But once they start singing... all similarities separate. yes.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 3 2009, 02:54 PM)
Night Ranger is easy to rip but they do have some very good guitar players in Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson.
I will defend them although I too get annoyed by the overkill of keyboards.
No when it comes to REO SPEEDWAGON, I have to say that they are totally WEAK SAUCE.

I mean I remember buying "High Infidelity" back in 1981.  The same year I bought "Moving Pictures."
I hated that Speedwagon album even back then when I was a kid.
Some things never change.
Granted REO has a few good songs back in the Seventies.
That clever album title comes to mind"  "You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish."

I would rather listen to AIR SUPPLY than Speedwagon!

Just kidding.

062802puke_prv.gif

rofl3.gif I will take Gary Richrath over those two any day!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Sep 7 2009, 10:42 PM)
I dont see the comparison here. confused13.gif tongue.gif

You know what's funny? I finally (yes I admit my own stupidity), just realized what Owl asked in his poll. laugh.gif

It's "who makes your ears bleed more?" icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Shit, and I voted for Perry. I wonder how many others voted Perry, who probably would have voted DeYoung for the bleeding ears.

QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 7 2009, 06:49 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Sep 7 2009, 10:42 PM)
I dont see the comparison here. confused13.gif  tongue.gif

You know what's funny? I finally (yes I admit my own stupidity), just realized what Owl asked in his poll. laugh.gif

It's "who makes your ears bleed more?" icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Shit, and I voted for Perry. I wonder how many others voted Perry, who probably would have voted DeYoung for the bleeding ears.

rofl3.gif Well, I like both for different reasons so my ears don't bleed. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 7 2009, 08:10 PM)

exactly......I haven't heard lots of Steve Perry live........but I DOUBT he sings as off key as Labrie does live on a regular basis......

Any minute now the DT Cultists will be along to complain about how this has turned into another anti-DT thread.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 8 2009, 12:08 AM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 7 2009, 08:10 PM)

exactly......I haven't heard lots of Steve Perry live........but I DOUBT he sings as off key as Labrie does live on a regular basis......

I saw Perry live, twice. First for the Frontiers tour, then for the Raised On Radio tour.

All I can say is... what he sounds like on record seems like playtime compared to what he can do live. He sang the roof off the arena. It was jawdropping.

Archived