Dennis DeYoung vs Steve Perry

The Owl

Who makes your ears bleed more?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes your ears bleed more?

• Dennis DeYoung
    • Steve Perry

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 3 2009, 01:24 AM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Sep 2 2009, 10:16 PM)
For personal taste, I'm going with DeYoung.
I can't stand Perry's voice, but I believe he's probably the better singer.

That's a very interesting take.

Would that be considered oxymoronic?

I like Dennis better too, but Steve does have a higher range.

I guess that counts for something.

Yeah that's what I mean.

Perry, I'd say, is technically a better singer, has a better voice...

But I'd prefer to hear DeYoung.

Always loved The Grand Illusion.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Rush! @ Sep 3 2009, 01:16 AM)
For personal taste, I'm going with DeYoung.
I can't stand Perry's voice, but I believe he's probably the better singer.

believe it or not, this is correct.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Sep 3 2009, 12:18 PM)
The tone of DeYoung's voice is just unpleasant to me. I feel like washing my ears out with some Motorhead every time I hear Come Sail Away.

Come Sail Away! Come Sail Away!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHH!!! Jesus, it's woeful.

Sandpaper + Testicles = Dennis De Young

I like both of them and neither band would be what they became without them.

I guess I'm a Pansie ? 1022.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 3 2009, 01:23 PM)
I like both of them and neither band would be what they became without them.
I guess I'm a Pansie ? 1022.gif

A wuss maybe, not a full on pansy! tongue.gif

However, don't you think when ever DeDung opens his gob, Styx lose whatever balls they had?

That's my impression, old Dennis The Menace bit off their bollocks.

QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 2 2009, 11:58 PM)
QUOTE (Blenderhead @ Sep 3 2009, 12:54 AM)
I like Styx and DeYoung's voice. ph34r.gif

I liked it too. When I was 10. Pieces of Eight was awesome, and I was so into the DeYoung songs. If I play that CD now, I have to skip over his songs. His voice makes me cringe, and the sound of those whoopy keyboards are extremely dated.

The Grand Illusion is still a great song, though. yes.gif

I liked it too.  When I was 10.

rofl3.gif Same here!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 3 2009, 08:47 AM)
For me, I have solved the Perry vs. DeYoung dilemma by owning no CDs from either of their bands. As a result, my CD players and speakers live happier lives, and they reward me with great music. It's a win-win.

I'd like to see it resolved via a gladitorial/Thunderdome-style death match! yes.gif laugh.gif Perry versus DeYoung! One night only! Two men enter, one man leaves! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 3 2009, 09:49 AM)
For me, I have solved the Perry vs. DeYoung dilemma by owning no CDs from either of their bands. As a result, my CD players and speakers live happier lives, and they reward me with great music. It's a win-win.

I'd like to see it resolved via a gladitorial/Thunderdome-style death match! yes.gif laugh.gif Perry versus DeYoung! One night only! Two men enter, one man leaves! laugh.gif

Why does one have to leave? How about we put them both in the cage, blast some Porcupine Tree and Rush over the sound system so they can hear some REAL music, lock the gate, then walk away? wink.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 3 2009, 08:53 AM)

Why does one have to leave? How about we put them both in the cage, blast some Porcupine Tree and Rush over the sound system so they can hear some REAL music, lock the gate, then walk away? wink.gif

Yeah, there's merit in that, but I still want me some combat! laugh.gif

goodpost.gif The only thing Perry and DeYoung have in common is they were both control freak assholes who turned their once rocking bands into love song-playing sissies, then turned their bandmates against them. Musically and talent-wise, they're not in the same category. Perry is a great vocalist. DeYoung has an annoying voice, and as a keyboardist was merely capable.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 3 2009, 09:55 AM)

Oh don't worry, they'll fight each other anyway. Perry will start singing "Faithfully" to pass the time...DeYoung won't like that, so he'll start screeching out "Babe"... From there. it won't take long. And we'll have cameras set up so we can watch (with no sound...I mean, please!). We'll serve hot dogs and beer and pretzels.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 3 2009, 09:01 AM)

Oh don't worry, they'll fight each other anyway. Perry will start singing "Faithfully" to pass the time...DeYoung won't like that, so he'll start screeching out "Babe"... From there. it won't take long. And we'll have cameras set up so we can watch (with no sound...I mean, please!). We'll serve hot dogs and beer and pretzels.

I. Am. There! laugh.gif

I confess I have always been something of a Journey fan - some of the music was indeed served with a side of cheese, but Perry had a strong voice. I think it's something people either love or hate.

Add me to the group that far prefers Tommy Shaw to Dennis DeYoung.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 3 2009, 09:21 AM)
I really don't think alot of people are reading the poll question... I think alot of people are thinking this is a legitimate versus thread I started. laugh.gif

What? You mean when you think of those guys you don't envision them locked in a huge cage with chainsaws and swords and engaged in mortal combat?! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 3 2009, 10:31 AM)
I really don't think alot of people are reading the poll question... I think alot of people are thinking this is a legitimate versus thread I started.  laugh.gif

What? You mean when you think of those guys you don't envision them locked in a huge cage with chainsaws and swords and engaged in mortal combat?! laugh.gif

Chainsaws! I forgot about the chainsaws! We can raise the ticket price if we give them both chainsaws! 1022.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 3 2009, 02:55 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 3 2009, 10:31 AM)
I really don't think alot of people are reading the poll question... I think alot of people are thinking this is a legitimate versus thread I started.  laugh.gif

Chainsaws! I forgot about the chainsaws! We can raise the ticket price if we give them both chainsaws! 1022.gif

Chainsaw + Dennis De Young's nose = fun

BRING IT ON!!

Me bagsy front row seats!

Its funny about Journey and Styx. As musicians, they had talent and were no slouches. Steve Smith and Neal Schon are both great. But yeah, somehow both perry and DeYoung changed them for the worse. Damn shame. Im always on the fence about ripping them completely, not like Night Ranger and REO Speedwagon 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Sep 3 2009, 09:52 AM)

Its funny about Journey and Styx. As musicians, they had talent and were no slouches. Steve Smith and Neal Schon are both great. But yeah, somehow both perry and DeYoung changed them for the worse. Damn shame. Im always on the fence about ripping them completely, not like Night Ranger and REO Speedwagon 062802puke_prv.gif

goodpost.gif

Archived