Who makes your ears bleed more?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes your ears bleed more?

• Dennis DeYoung
    • Steve Perry

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 2 2009, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 2 2009, 08:20 PM)
His music is not my cup of tea, but Steve Perry is actually an extremely good singer.

Exactly. Based on talent alone, Perry wins.

Agreed, I've always wanted to hear him sing something that wasn't crap.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 2 2009, 06:21 PM)
This poll could easily be called, "Which guy did a better job of taking over and f*cking up a perfectly good rock band by turning them into a group of panzies?"

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

So true

ahhh ... the old trick question trick!

... lemesee ...

hmmm ...

I really liked "Wheel in the Sky", but overall, I liked Styx better, so after all of that ... I need to stop at the "Dome of Silence" ... to gather my thoughts wacko.gif

... and i have to concur with 1-0-0-1-0-0-1's sentiment

...what was the question again? unsure.gif

I'm shocked the two are being considered in the same category with this poll. Perry is in such a class above DeYoung in terms of vocal ability, there's not even anything TO compare.

I'm not anti DeYoung. Well, maybe I guess I am. I always thought Tommy Shaw was the best part of Styx - not DeYoung. no.gif

If there is anything these two front-men have in common, it's the tight grip of control they insisted upon having which drove each band into a brick wall. And that they are both 'reported' to be total assholes (especially Perry). But that's about where the comparisons end.

As far as singing goes, Perry can't be touched.

QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 2 2009, 08:48 PM)
I'm shocked the two are being considered in the same category with this poll. Perry is in such a class above DeYoung in terms of vocal ability, there's not even anything TO compare.

I'm not anti DeYoung. Well, maybe I guess I am. I always thought Tommy Shaw was the best part of Styx - not DeYoung. no.gif

If there is anything these two front-men have in common, it's the tight grip of control they insisted upon having which drove each band into a brick wall. And that they are both 'reported' to be total assholes (especially Perry). But that's about where the comparisons end.

It is apples to oranges and I do agree both guys are assholes, allegedly.

Both are very talented but as a guy who loves the first three Journey without Steve Perry, I had to go with Dennis.

Dennis "The Menace" became a cancer to STYX with his arrogant control freak ways and was punted for his totally commercial poppy daze.

Glad Tommy Shaw took over.

The man is fantastic vocally and on the guitar.

Actually this poll should be:

NEAL SCHON VS. TOMMY SHAW

I will take Tommy in a heartbeat.

heart.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 3 2009, 12:29 AM)
I'm shocked the two are being considered in the same category with this poll.  Perry is in such a class above DeYoung in terms of vocal ability, there's not even anything TO compare.

I'm not anti DeYoung.  Well, maybe I guess I am.  I always thought Tommy Shaw was the best part of Styx - not DeYoung.  no.gif

If there is anything these two front-men have in common, it's the tight grip of control they insisted upon having which drove each band into a brick wall.  And that they are both 'reported' to be total assholes (especially Perry).  But that's about where the comparisons end.

Both are very talented but as a guy who loves the first three Journey without Steve Perry, I had to go with Dennis.

Dennis "The Menace" became a cancer to STYX with his arrogant control freak ways and was punted for his totally commercial poppy daze.

heart.gif

You think Shaw is a better guitarist than Neil Schon? Really?

I love Tommy Shaw. But these comparisons with Styx guys and Journey guys is flabergasting.

What's next, John Panozzo was a better drummer than Steve "Machine Gun" Smith? Zoinks! doh.gif

QUOTE (Blenderhead @ Sep 3 2009, 12:54 AM)
I like Styx and DeYoung's voice. ph34r.gif

I liked it too. When I was 10. Pieces of Eight was awesome, and I was so into the DeYoung songs. If I play that CD now, I have to skip over his songs. His voice makes me cringe, and the sound of those whoopy keyboards are extremely dated.

The Grand Illusion is still a great song, though. yes.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 2 2009, 11:58 PM)

I liked it too. When I was 10. Pieces of Eight was awesome, and I was so into the DeYoung songs. If I play that CD now, I have to skip over his songs. His voice makes me cringe, and the sound of those whoopy keyboards are extremely dated.

Haha, I thought you agreed with me and then . . . b_sigh.gif bolt.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 2 2009, 09:52 PM)
I'm shocked the two are being considered in the same category with this poll.  Perry is in such a class above DeYoung in terms of vocal ability, there's not even anything TO compare.

I'm not anti DeYoung.  Well, maybe I guess I am.  I always thought Tommy Shaw was the best part of Styx - not DeYoung.  no.gif

If there is anything these two front-men have in common, it's the tight grip of control they insisted upon having which drove each band into a brick wall.  And that they are both 'reported' to be total assholes (especially Perry).  But that's about where the comparisons end.

heart.gif

I love Tommy Shaw. But these comparisons with Styx guys and Journey guys is flabergasting.

What's next, John Panozzo was a better drummer than Steve "Machine Gun" Smith? Zoinks! doh.gif

I do.

Don't get me wrong Schon is a great local guitar player but my money is on Tommy.

Schon's riffs and soloing all sound the same from INFINITY and up.

Some people love to rip another great Bay Area guitarist for sounding the same too, Carlos Santana.

A Legend in my mind.

Actually I would take Steve Smith over the current drummer of STYX Todd Sucherman. (I just watched Todd's drumming video a few nights ago. (Excellent, but he's no Steve Smith JMO)

Which Journey drummer is your favorite?

Ansley Dunbar, Steve Smith or Deen Castronovo?

I have to go old school!

Ansley! all the way!

1287.gif

QUOTE (Blenderhead @ Sep 3 2009, 01:00 AM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 2 2009, 11:58 PM)

Haha, I thought you agreed with me and then . . . b_sigh.gif bolt.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif Sorry, man.

Trust me... there was a time when I loved listening to his songs. Queen of Spades, Rockin' The Paradise, I'm Okay... they were great to me. But they just didn't age well at all.

QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 3 2009, 12:52 AM)

heart.gif

The only thing Perry and DeYoung have in common is they were both control freak assholes who turned their once rocking bands into love song-playing sissies, then turned their bandmates against them. Musically and talent-wise, they're not in the same category. Perry is a great vocalist. DeYoung has an annoying voice, and as a keyboardist was merely capable.

I agree with Pags about Tommy Shaw. He's a class act who could have led Styx in a better direction.

QUOTE (Blenderhead @ Sep 2 2009, 09:54 PM)

Take the mask off Blender!

It's all good!

At least Dennis blows Gowan away! JMO

I mean Gowan is a very talented guy but I just don't like the lame "circus acts" that he performs on his rotating keyboard.

I saw STYX in Vegas in February at the HOB and they were incredible.

I just didn't like Gowan's shtick.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Sep 2 2009, 10:16 PM)
For personal taste, I'm going with DeYoung.
I can't stand Perry's voice, but I believe he's probably the better singer.

That's a very interesting take.

Would that be considered oxymoronic?

I like Dennis better too, but Steve does have a higher range.

I guess that counts for something.

Steve sure put Journey on the Multi-Million Dollar Map.

That must say something about the man.

I have never met a woman who hates Steve's voice by the way.

Did anyone ever pick up Steve Perry's solo albums?

"Oh Sherrie"

"Oh Shit"

062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 3 2009, 01:24 AM)

"Oh Sherrie"

"Oh Shit"

062802puke_prv.gif

His 2nd solo album, For The Love Of Strange Medicine, had some good stuff on it.

QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 2 2009, 11:00 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 3 2009, 01:24 AM)

"Oh Sherrie"

"Oh Shit"

062802puke_prv.gif

His 2nd solo album, For The Love Of Strange Medicine, had some good stuff on it.

I know that both of those albums have been remastered lately but I never picked them up.

I honestly can't remember the last time I listened to his second album.

Alright now I'm curious. I will pick up the second album and give it a spin!

trink39.gif

Archived