Have You Ever Seen A Rush Tribute Band?

tangy

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Aug 19 2009, 08:26 PM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 19 2009, 12:14 PM)
QUOTE (babadaboom @ Aug 18 2009, 10:11 PM)
NeilFinal.gif Saw Anthem in Dallas (4 guys - pretty good Geedy) one time.  Also saw Natural Science in Tokyo, Japan (3 guys - very good even with a "Japanenglish" Geddy) twice and will see them again in October.

My old band name was Anthem. It was service marked for protection. It since ran out as we disbanded about 15 years ago. Fun while it lasted. The entire year! Bass player/singer got a swelled ego, guitarist decided to go New Age, drummer pulled hair out & is now bald...

I got a good idea who was the drummer. laugh.gif

unsure.gif

Who?

unsure.gif

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Aug 20 2009, 08:56 AM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 19 2009, 01:14 PM)
drummer pulled hair out & is now bald...

Whatever happened to that guy? He sounds like a dick. wink.gif I think I saw him at a party wearing a funny tiara. If only I had a picture of that....

I know! I heard about that too. Where was that again?

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 19 2009, 12:14 PM)
QUOTE (babadaboom @ Aug 18 2009, 10:11 PM)
NeilFinal.gif Saw Anthem in Dallas (4 guys - pretty good Geedy) one time.  Also saw Natural Science in Tokyo, Japan (3 guys - very good even with a "Japanenglish" Geddy) twice and will see them again in October.

My old band name was Anthem. It was service marked for protection. It since ran out as we disbanded about 15 years ago. Fun while it lasted. The entire year! Bass player/singer got a swelled ego, guitarist decided to go New Age, drummer pulled hair out & is now bald...

It was service marked for protection.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does that mean?

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 19 2009, 07:32 PM)
Nick will tell you that the only real Rush tribute band is Bravado laugh.gif

if you are refering to the english bravado i can confirm they are very good indeed! the singer not only sounds like ged he is also the spitting image of him.

the guitarist is note perfect and the drummer (wait for it)as good as peart.

i have seen them 3 times and they are in manchester again v soon so if you live anywhere near farnworth manchester checkout bravado . com for dates wink.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Aug 20 2009, 02:18 PM)

if you are refering to the english bravado i can confirm they are very good indeed! the singer not only sounds like ged he is also the spitting image of him.

i have seen them 3 times and they are in manchester again v soon so if you live anywhere near farnworth manchester checkout bravado . com for dates wink.gif

unsure.gif think that might be .co.uk !

im not savvy enough to provide a link

20+ years ago I saw (on more than one occasion) a band called PNR at my local pub "Poste Haste" (now called Snooty Fox) in Wakefield, England.

They weren't billed as a Rush tribute band, but played quite a few Rush songs as well as Police stuff. They were very good, but I don't think they are active anymore.

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Aug 20 2009, 02:35 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 20 2009, 01:53 PM)
It was service marked for protection.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does that mean?

A service mark is like a trademark, but for services, not products.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_mark

Ah! Thanks very much!

QUOTE (tel @ Aug 20 2009, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE (tel @ Aug 20 2009, 02:18 PM)

unsure.gif think that might be .co.uk !

im not savvy enough to provide a link

This one maybe

I could never see a Rush tribute band. The NP air drummers are a pathetic enough site, but seeing a few guys pretending to be Rush makes me want to hurl with embarrassment for them. Its the same feeling I have whenever I hear or see a video of Coldplay (who are nothing more than a U2 tribute band) Edited by GeminiRising79

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Aug 20 2009, 06:15 PM)
I could never see a Rush tribute band.  The NP air drummers are a pathetic enough site, but seeing a few guys pretending to be Rush makes me want to hurl with embarrassment for them. Its the same feeling I have whenever I hear or see a video of Coldplay (who are nothing more than a U2 tribute band)

You would like Power Windows, assuming they ever gig out again

They don't try to look like the real band (the keyboardist wears an african type hat like Neil does but that's it) and the singer hits the notes without sounding like he's trying too hard to imitate Geddy Lee. Plus they seemed to always shake up the set list and they play with so much energy and power that they make it look so fun and easy. The guitarist has good stage presence too.

But yeah, many of the others do have shitty singers and/or just come across like dorks.

Edited by jnoble

QUOTE (jnoble @ Aug 21 2009, 08:55 PM)
I could never see a Rush tribute band.  The NP air drummers are a pathetic enough site, but seeing a few guys pretending to be Rush makes me want to hurl with embarrassment for them. Its the same feeling I have whenever I hear or see a video of Coldplay (who are nothing more than a U2 tribute band)

They don't try to look like the real band (the keyboardist wears an african type hat like Neil does but that's it) and the singer hits the notes without sounding like he's trying too hard to imitate Geddy Lee. Plus they seemed to always shake up the set list and they play with so much energy and power that they make it look so fun and easy. The guitarist has good stage presence too.

But yeah, many of the others do have shitty singers and/or just come across like dorks.

I'm sure some are good, but I'm not a big fan of watching adults emulate other adults.

If I ever went to see one it would be Caress Of Steel. Check out their vids on You Tube also.

Edit: Damn, they're playing tonight in Redondo Beach, Cali at The Brixton with a Journey tribute band called Lights! Man, I'd go to see that.

Edited by SiriusRushFan

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Aug 21 2009, 09:28 PM)
QUOTE (jnoble @ Aug 21 2009, 08:55 PM)

I'm sure some are good, but I'm not a big fan of watching adults emulate other adults.

You're missing my point. They're NOT imitating Rush, just playing the music and having a blast doing it.

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 18 2009, 10:17 AM)
Well who amongst us has actually seen a rush tribute band?

please spare us all the lame attempt at humor by saying dream theater.

I for one have never seen one but really I never had to the chance to do so. I do know there several rush cover groups out there.

Have you seen a rush tribute band, who were they and were they good?

I've seen a couple.

I've also played in a couple.

So I guess that I've seen (from one perspective or another) about 4.

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 18 2009, 10:25 AM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 18 2009, 12:19 PM)
Anthem Seattle, WA
Puppet Show Austin, TX

Those were the two I've played in.

Nope. Wish we had one here in Colorado, I'd go check 'em out.

Tried to get CygnusX-1Bk2 to play here in Colorado and he mentioned something about me having to pay airfare for the band biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 18 2009, 12:36 PM)
The answer is yes. I have seen two Rush tribute bands. The first one I saw spoiled me for all others, but the second one I saw was also very good.

Check this out.

Power Windows Tribute Band snippits

To see them play is the key. They have so much fun on-stage, are very energetic and interact with the crowd, and individually they are VERY talented musicians who play the shit out of these songs. They make it look easy.

This past February I went to see them with a very critical friend of mine who's a hard guy to please. He was blown away.

I was really looking forward to that Power Windows show in February, but got an email saying it was cancelled and they were working to get another venue. never heard another word. Where did they play?

I've seen Power Windows 10 times over the years. I've seen a band called 2112 once, Hemispheres once and another Rush tribute band (can't remember the name).

I won't say what I thought of them.

I will say that I like Power Windows the best by far because they really get the vibe and it comes across. They will also play some obscure stuff and they remember that the band didn't break up after Signals (a definate plus for me)