Just seen Pan's Labyrinth

Steevo

Heard nothing but good about it, and it looks amazing.

I currently have it saved on ye olde DVR, maybe I should watch it today.

Pan's Labyrinth is one of the finest artistic films I've seen the last decade. Absolutely magical, mesmerizing and stunning.

For anyone who hasn't seen it though... keep in mind although it may be a bit of a fairy tale movie - it is definitely *not* for kids.

Been some really great foreign films lately. Makes me want to disown the North American film industry entirely.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Fantastic movie!

For those who liked 'Labyrinth', you'll probably also enjoy 'The Orphanage'.

This is one of the best films I have seen in a long time.

Mystical and enchanting, but also dark and visceral, it is a stunningly good example of what is possible when attention is paid to quality rather than the needless dumbfest that we are subjected to 99% of the time.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jul 19 2009, 08:13 AM)
This is one of the best films I have seen in a long time.

Mystical and enchanting, but also dark and visceral, it is a stunningly good example of what is possible when attention is paid to quality rather than the needless dumbfest that we are subjected to 99% of the time.

goodpost.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jul 22 2009, 07:53 AM)
I've since been able to locate The Devil's Backbone and am really looking forward to watching it.  Maybe I'll share my feedback on that here afterwards.

Do it. I'll look forward to your take. I've still yet to find it.

That was one of the most interesting films I got to work on. I was very proud with the response it garned upon it's theatrical release and the reviews were just great. When working on a foreign film you kinda worry how the public is going to respond to it as a lot of people either don't have the time or patience for subtitles but I was glad that people loved it. biggrin.gif I really loved the storyline as a fairytale for adults kinda in the same vein as Alice in Wonderland which stands to be one of my fave stories of all time. I'm very much looking forward to the Tim Burton vision of that book slated to be out next year.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jul 21 2009, 05:34 PM)
That was one of the most interesting films I got to work on. I was very proud with the response it garned upon it's theatrical release and the reviews were just great. When working on a foreign film you kinda worry how the public is going to respond to it as a lot of people either don't have the time or patience for subtitles but I was glad that people loved it. biggrin.gif I really loved the storyline as a fairytale for adults kinda in the same vein as Alice in Wonderland which stands to be one of my fave stories of all time. I'm very much looking forward to the Tim Burton vision of that book slated to be out next year.

That's very interesting Ya! In what capacity did you work on Labyrinth?

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jul 21 2009, 05:31 PM)
That was one of the most interesting films I got to work on. I was very proud with the response it garned upon it's theatrical release and the reviews were just great. When working on a foreign film you kinda worry how the public is going to respond to it as a lot of people either don't have the time or patience for subtitles but I was glad that people loved it. biggrin.gif  I really loved the storyline as a fairytale for adults kinda in the same vein as Alice in Wonderland which stands to be one of my fave stories of all time. I'm very much looking forward to the Tim Burton vision of that book slated to be out next year.

Nothing that glamourous I just did the Media Buying for it. laugh.gif But I got to go the premiere and industry screenings and help choose the final cuts for the theatrical trailers. I helped with the distribution planning as well for the DVD release that was kinda fun. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jul 21 2009, 06:54 PM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jul 21 2009, 05:31 PM)
That was one of the most interesting films I got to work on. I was very proud with the response it garned upon it's theatrical release and the reviews were just great. When working on a foreign film you kinda worry how the public is going to respond to it as a lot of people either don't have the time or patience for subtitles but I was glad that people loved it. biggrin.gif  I really loved the storyline as a fairytale for adults kinda in the same vein as Alice in Wonderland which stands to be one of my fave stories of all time. I'm very much looking forward to the Tim Burton vision of that book slated to be out next year.

Nothing that glamourous I just did the Media Buying for it. laugh.gif But I got to go the premiere and industry screenings and help choose the final cuts for the theatrical trailers. I helped with the distribution planning as well for the DVD release that was kinda fun. laugh.gif

Maybe not so glamorous per se but that is *very* cool!

I didn't realize you do that sort of stuff - nice!

OK...I just finished watching Pans Labyrinth.

It was very good, and exceptionally well made, but it wasn't what I expected. I thought it was a sorta sci-fi, mythical, action, adventure movie along the lines of Labyrinth, Narnia, etc...not a bloody, violent, war/espionage flick, which is fine but ...well...not what I expected.

The acting was fantastic. I found myself really caring for, or hating the characters. The story was 100% original THANK GOD!!!! No rehash of something else which is sooooo sadly common in movies today. The best part being there were no talking transforming robots, or light sabres, or lasers, or people doing impossibly impossible feats of physicality. Aside from the fantasy aspect, it was a "real" movie.

Visually it was like nothing I've seen in a while, and probably won't see again anytime soon. The Spanish countyside was beautiful, the fantasy world was stunning, everything looked so realistic.

I'm not sure if I liked the ending or not mostly because I didn't want it to end as it did, but it was so fitting to the story, and made it more emotional.

It was a good movie.

Edited by Prince Sphinc-Tor

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 21 2009, 09:48 PM)
Looking forward to what Guillermo Del Toro will do directing the next couple Lord Of The Rings films.

trink39.gif

That's right...The Hobbit flicks...thanks for the reminder!!!

Good to see Pan getting some recognition. It's one of my favorite movies, a masterful blend of fantasy, mythology, politics and history. Great comments, all, and very cool that Y-B-T is connected to the film!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 22 2009, 11:08 PM)
Really stoked.  I'm not a Tolkien (sp?) geek, but I loved the movies despite initially having ZERO interest in them.  I think Del Toro will add a nice touch....

Oh yes, thats an easy bet with that dude yes.gif

And shame on you for not being a Tolkien geek new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jul 22 2009, 04:18 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 22 2009, 11:08 PM)
Really stoked.  I'm not a Tolkien (sp?) geek, but I loved the movies despite initially having ZERO interest in them.  I think Del Toro will add a nice touch....

Oh yes, thats an easy bet with that dude yes.gif

And shame on you for not being a Tolkien geek new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

tongue.gif

I am a Tolkien gook so I'm stoked....but I can wait.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 22 2009, 07:08 AM)
Really stoked. I'm not a Tolkien (sp?) geek, but I loved the movies despite initially having ZERO interest in them. I think Del Toro will add a nice touch....

YOu know what would make me *really* stoked? If I heard Del Toro was putting such a heavy hand on the new Hobbit that is was going to be rated R.

Del Toro Hobbits movie for grownups! Heavy metal soundtrack! Hell yeah!

I have two suggestions for the soundtrack.. Anyone else care to add some?!

1022.gif