Just seen Pan's Labyrinth

Steevo

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jul 23 2009, 01:52 PM)
Freakin love this movie. I bought it on Blu-ray a few weeks ago.

Yeah Pan's Labyrinth and Blade Runner: The Final Cut are hands down the most jaw dropping awe inspiring epic bluray movies that I own. trink39.gif

Edited by Godeater2112

Finally got to see THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE this week.

It has DEL TORO stamped all over it, you can tell within a matter of minutes. A very very good film, once again very much a departure from the Hollywood way of doing things.

Not as mystical and magical as Pan's Labyrinth this film was one of his earlier works and didn't quite have the budget that Pan did. Set in the same period as Pan during the Spanish Civil War this story is very much acknowledges and is influenced by the strife of the time. A lot less fantasy and a bit more horror the story follows the hardships and tribulations of numerous boys in a remote orphanage and the adults who look after them.

I once again found this film to be a refreshing change from a lot of other movies that I watch, and although slightly slow paced the story was very captivating, harsh and unique much like you'd expect from Del Toro.

Highly recommended for fans of Pan, Del Toro, spooky foreign films - I very much enjoyed it.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jul 31 2009, 02:20 AM)
Highly recommended for fans of Pan, Del Toro, spooky foreign films - I very much enjoyed it.

Excellent, I thought as much.

BTW, just heard a few days back that The Hobbit isn't being financed for now. Such are the times. Have to wait a little bit longer then.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jul 30 2009, 10:20 AM)
Finally got to see THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE this week.

It has DEL TORO stamped all over it, you can tell within a matter of minutes. A very very good film, once again very much a departure from the Hollywood way of doing things.

Not as mystical and magical as Pan's Labyrinth this film was one of his earlier works and didn't quite have the budget that Pan did. Set in the same period as Pan during the Spanish Civil War this story is very much acknowledges and is influenced by the strife of the time. A lot less fantasy and a bit more horror the story follows the hardships and tribulations of numerous boys in a remote orphanage and the adults who look after them.

I once again found this film to be a refreshing change from a lot of other movies that I watch, and although slightly slow paced the story was very captivating, harsh and unique much like you'd expect from Del Toro.

I just finished watching The Devil's Backbone and I agree 100%.

Not the fastest moving movie, but it was refreshing that there were no signs of Hollywood (I'm not talking about the sign in California that says "Hollywood") in the production. I liked it. Good story, a little spooky, some drama, a little action, good acting, and no stupid f'in talking robots.

QUOTE (Prince Sphinc-Tor @ Aug 3 2009, 09:21 PM)
and no stupid f'in talking robots.

z7shysterical.gif

I also had the privilege of seeing the Orphanage yesterday... very amazing and spooky movie, again a refreshing departure from much of what we see in this genre - highly recommended!