Moments that choke you up

Chasartymac

We all talk about about great films and moments, but how about the moments that actually induce you to well up. You know the moments, when us guys usually cough firmly and feel our collars and say "gosh, it's warm in here". laugh.gif

For me the ultimate is Al Pacino on the steps of the opera house in Palermo holding his dead daughter, Mary, in his arms, and he pulls off the most incredible piece of acting I have ever seen, the 15 second silent scream just before the massive intake of breath for the real scream. Of course this is from Godfather III. I don't care who sees me cry at that bit.

Also, there is an older sci-fi film called "Silent Running", about spaceships which have the plant and animal life to repair the earth after nuclear holocaust. There is one guy left alive, I think he is Bradford Dillman, and 3 robots he calls Huey, Duey and Louis. Right at the end he jettisons the last dome with a forest in with the one remaining working droid, and then self destructs the ship with the damaged droid and himself on board. (If you were wondering why, it's because he had orders to blow all the domes up and he couldn't do it.)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A Beautiful Mind" - when John Nash accepts his Nobel Prize.

"Saving Private Ryan" - a scene with a dying soldier, not more than a boy, calling over and over again for his mother

"Bridges of Madison County" (oh, go ahead and make fun tongue.gif) - the scene at the end, Francesca's hand on the truck's door handle...there is so much emotion and raw feeling in that moment, as her hand clasps the handle

QUOTE (dweezil @ Mar 10 2005, 02:20 PM)
blush4.gif I cried at the part in Titanic when all the peeps were in the water frozen.

I stay away from movies like that as a rule.

Yeah I remember hearing a lot of weeping in the theater at the end.

For me, it's the closing statement in A Time to kill, wow, no matter howmany times I see it, lump, tears welling. sad.gif A very moving scene!!

There is others, let me think.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 10 2005, 02:21 PM)
"A Beautiful Mind" - when John Nash accepts his Nobel Prize.

That one got me too.

Lately anything to do with a Dad alone & his kids. Especially if the kids are little girls.

Edited by Digital Man

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Mar 10 2005, 05:25 PM)
In Gladiator at the very end when he sees his wife greet him at his house.

if i hadn't've been with friends, i would've been bawling!! i think the part where he discovers they're dead was more emotional for me, though..

i'd have to say Tombstone, when Doc Holiday dies..i cry EVERY single time!! sad.gif

when i was younger there was a disney movie that came out called "Tru Confessions", about a girl named Tru whos brother was mentally retarded..i remember she was mad at him at one point (they were both teenagers, & in order to defend her brother, she had to tell off the dude she had a crush on), & i can remember him asking her.."Tru, are you mad at me?" she says "no, why?" & he goes.."because you never play with me anymore.."

AGH!! soooooo sad!! i have tears in my eyes thinking about it now!! i know, i know, it's a disney channel movie, but oh my goodness, that scene was soooo sad.. fists crying.gif i see mentally retarded kids at school everyday, there's one kid who has to be led around by his father all the time..i get tears in my eyes everyday when i see it, it's so heartwrenching to think what the father & the son must be going through.. sad.gif sad.gif ok, now that i'm crying, i'd better stop!!

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 10 2005, 05:21 PM)
"Saving Private Ryan" - a scene with a dying soldier, not more than a boy, calling over and over again for his mother

yes.gif

"Mama! Mama!!!! AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That's in the 25-minute Omaha Beach landing scene. If you're not completely drained after watching that, give it up.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 10 2005, 06:21 PM)

That was pretty sad...

Edited by yyz

At the end of THX 1138 when Robert Duvall's character sees the surface of the earth and that huge orange descending sun for the first time in his life. I was blown away by that scene.

When Rutger Hauer's "replicant" saves Harrison Ford's "bladerunner" from certain death because he concludes that all life is precious, even human life.

In "To Kill a Mockingbird", when the accused tells Atticus Finch's daughter Scout to stand becuase "your daddy's passing."

When Rocky Dennis dies in 'Mask' (true story), its just so moving, as you have been with the character for 2 hours or so of the film and you relate to him a bit like a brother...I have seen the film about 4 times and each time i see it they fall down my cheeks and I can't help it...

fists crying.gif

Titanic, when the mother was in the water, holding her baby, and the mother telling her little ones the story in their beds... Just as the ship is going down. Also the soldier boy on the beach, crying for his mommy. And when the doctor kid dies... that whole movie has me crying. Also, when the horse gets hit by the truck in Horse Whisperer. Armageddon, where the girls dad is saying good bye to her... There are many....

Also, the Al Pacino one, that Chas was talking about, I freaking bawled. He is awesome.

Edited by Alsgalpal

When the shark dies in 'Jaws'.......

When Forrest gets on the school bus the first day...all the kids take one look at him and say 'Can't sit here' really mean. Finally, he sees Jenny, who lets him sit down and he says 'I knew she would be my best good friend.'

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 10 2005, 04:21 PM)

"Bridges of Madison County" (oh, go ahead and make fun tongue.gif) - the scene at the end, Francesca's hand on the truck's door handle...there is so much emotion and raw feeling in that moment, as her hand clasps the handle

fists crying.gif The whole of that movie gets me. wub.gif

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Mar 11 2005, 06:02 PM)
Armageddon, where the girls dad is saying good bye to her... There are many....

Oh yeah. That gets me too. Bruce Willis saying goodbye to Liv Tyler. I'm no man. laugh.gif

http://fool.exler.ru/sm/cry2.gif

In Forrest Gump when Tom Hanks is talking to Jenny about Forrest Jr. and asks if he's smart. I don't think I've ever sat through that movie without getting that feeling in your throat like you swallowed an apple core.

Also, a lot of I Am Sam with Sean Penn is emotional. One part that comes to mind is when he's going to see his daughter with the cake and he slips and the cake gets ruined.

QUOTE (Chasartymac @ Mar 10 2005, 04:28 PM)
Also, there is an older sci-fi film called "Silent Running", about spaceships which have the plant and animal life to repair the earth after nuclear holocaust. There is one guy left alive, I think he is Bradford Dillman, and 3 robots he calls Huey, Duey and Louis. Right at the end he jettisons the last dome with a forest in with the one remaining working droid, and then self destructs the ship with the damaged droid and himself on board. (If you were wondering why, it's because he had orders to blow all the domes up and he couldn't do it.)

I too find the bit when you see the robot with his watering can and the music that plays in the background gets me as i remember watching it when i was a kid with my mum and sadly my mum died last year so this film means a lot.

Also the end of Watership Down gets me and of course the Bright Eyes song is like a wrestlers finishing move for leg having Hulk Hogan doing a leg drop across ya throat.

Finally the end of The Elephant man gets me too as John gets to sleep on a bed properly.

fists crying.gif