Where does Lifeson rank among best guitarist?

jdouglas

Yup, just below .....

#36. Uli Jon Roth of Scorpions

#37. Terry Kath of Chicago Transit Authority

At least according to Digital Dream Door.

http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/best_newguitar.html

Oooh, I can hear the protest emails being typed...

Actually it is a very good site for song lists, etc.....the ranking is just too subjective to be taken too seriously.

btw, Geddy ranked #7 bassist?....and Limelight not on the greatest guitar riffs of all time? ... but to be fair Lifeson does have a good number in the greatest solo category.

Go get 'em.

I may get rapped in the head for saying this, but...

Alex is an above-average guitarist, and very underrated. But there are a LOT of exceptional guitarists. 38? Sounds about right.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 25 2009, 04:03 PM)

Alex is an above-average guitarist, and very underrated. But there are a LOT of exceptional guitarists. 38? Sounds about right.

I would have to agree with you there Geddyrulz

Hes VERY underrated amongst 70s guys. He had better technique than a lot of other guys from that era, but 38 is respectable. Uli roth and kath were no slouches. Good company.

A LOT of guys list him as an influence, and thats always a good indication of how great someone truly is, IMO.

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jan 25 2009, 03:29 PM)
Yup, just below .....

At least according to Digital Dream Door.

http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/best_newguitar.html

Oooh, I can hear the protest emails being typed...

Actually it is a very good site for song lists, etc.....the ranking is just too subjective to be taken too seriously.

btw, Geddy ranked #7 bassist?....and Limelight not on the greatest guitar riffs of all time?  ... but to be fair Lifeson does have a good number in the greatest solo category.

Go get 'em.

Think about how many guitarists are out there. Tens of thousands. Now think about Alex being chosen #38. "Best guitarist ever" is one poll that a large number of people won't agree about. There are too many people. Example - Steve Howe of Yes @ 22 - he's very versatile, whereas we haven't seen quite as much from Lerxst. That's not to put him down at all, but there are better guitarists than Alex. I'm sure he'd tell you that himself.

edit: just noticed ace frehley (125) is ahead of trevor rabin(168)..... wtf.gif

QUOTE (TheAnalogKid2112 @ Jan 25 2009, 04:29 PM)
These things are all a matter of opinion, and most of these lists just subtly base it off of popularity. Glad Alex got recognized.

Yeah..me too...there are thousands of good guitars who play hundreds of styles.

I hate lists like this.

What is the criteria for establishing rank?

I dunno.......it looks like there are lots of guitarists underneath him that are better IMO (Joe bonamassa is wicked and way below him)...........I've always thought Alex was a good guitarist, but not in the same league as many other big guys.......

I think Alex is WAY too underrated, and I think Geddy is way better than a 7 (listen to Force Ten and Far Cry)

frank zappa is number 39, thought he'd be higher!

greatest drummer in order; Peart, Bonham, Moon ... sounds about right!

most skilled drummers; Neil is number 8

greatest studio rock drum performances in order; Ticks And Leeches - Danny Carey (Tool), La Villa Strangiato - Neil Peart (Rush), Toad - Ginger Baker (Cream) 1022.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jan 25 2009, 04:26 PM)
QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jan 25 2009, 03:29 PM)
Yup, just below .....

edit: just noticed ace frehley (125) is ahead of trevor rabin(168)..... wtf.gif

Yeah, that is bad. confused13.gif

The order is probably in line with the moderator's ego I'm sure from what little I read in the forums....

schla03.gif pokey.gif

I've much more of an issue with Geddy as #7 bassist.

QUOTE (TheAnalogKid2112 @ Jan 25 2009, 04:29 PM)
These things are all a matter of opinion, and most of these lists just subtly base it off of popularity. Glad Alex got recognized.

Yes, because personally I wouldn't put Hendrix at No. 1..

bolt.gif

greatest rock/ pop artists of the 80's, rush is number 21!!! nice!

Imo, the last time those polls made sense was when they recognized Gilmour's Comfortably Numb solo biggrin.gif Ratings of guitar gods may vary greatly, depending on a particular country and its musical background, so to say. I've been a rock fan for 10-12 years but I never heard nothing about Alex till this year though I used to take on whenever a discussion about best guitar players would arise laugh.gif

jimmy page #3, eddie van halen # 5

now that is f-n funny

comp26.gif

I am a huge HUGE fan of.... Eddie, Hendrix, Gilmour... Nugent... Thorogood, Jason Arnott, Satriani, Stevie ray Vaughn, Alexi Laiho and many others....

Although I do only consider myself a casual guitarist, I've been playing guitar for 20 years - classical acoustic to 12 string electric, 6 strings, 7 string electric, bass.. all that stuff. I enjoy playing piles of variety from Floyd to Tom Petty to Rush to Megadeth and Slayer...

Sure ranking the spectrum of skills a guitarist might possess can be very difficult as it is very subjective - music *is* art after all....

My point is... with that being said, without a shadow of a doubt, I 1000 percent believe Alex is the greatest guitarist who has ever lived and I am very unlikely to ever change my opinion of that. If you were to list the top ten most important qualities in guitarists and rank each axe man in each category, sure Alex would be scoring a few 7s and 8s out of tens in categories where other people might score a ten - but across all the skills for the chops I'd say he'd score the best overall.

Nevermind the fact that he is the sole guitarist in some band or another retardedly rife with talent, really manages to stand out and define his own style and sound... dual rhythm and lead - has been kept well inspired for oh about 100 years now and always manages to keep his sound fresh and evolving.... all that fun stuff.

Long Live Lord Alex!

(my own personal Jesus Christ)

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 25 2009, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 25 2009, 04:03 PM)

Alex is an above-average guitarist, and very underrated.  But there are a LOT of exceptional guitarists.  38?  Sounds about right.

I would have to agree with you there Geddyrulz

Hes VERY underrated amongst 70s guys. He had better technique than a lot of other guys from that era, but 38 is respectable. Uli roth and kath were no slouches. Good company.

A LOT of guys list him as an influence, and thats always a good indication of how great someone truly is, IMO.

I agree with both of you guys. He's a great guitarist and I love his work dearly, but there's so much talent in this world. wink.gif

Archived