Att. Megadeth Fans

Steevo

I know there are a few fans on here, and I'd like to know what you consider their classic album would be (reasons why would be good) cool.gif

Also can someone add what the general consensus is on their best as well. I have a feeling I know what it would be, but would just like it confirmed on behalf of a friend who really likes them. Ta cat.gif

Rust in Piece is my favorite. I think it's front-to-back the most consistent metal album ever made, and if you're into awesome solos...that's what half the album is. Generally though, I think Peace Sells...but Who's Buying? is considered their best. That album is a monster when it comes to riffs.

I like Countdown to Extinction. Then again, I've only heard that, Rush in Peace and So Far, So Good, So What.

Rust in Peace and Youthanasia ranks a 1 and 1a. They interchange the top spot for different reasons.

And the making of Youthanasia is an interesting watch, if only to watch Dave being taught to sing in French.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 30 2008, 08:33 PM)
Peace Sells and Rust in Peace- hard to choose between either...

I know, that's what I thought it would come down to.

Thanks for all the replies. Peace Sells was my friend's fave btw, and he's in his mid 30s (if that has anything to do with it) laugh.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jan 2 2009, 10:32 PM)

Thanks for all the replies. Peace Sells was my friend's fave btw, and he's in his mid 30s (if that has anything to do with it) laugh.gif

Let me clear something up here if I may. I am...in my own mind...something of an expert on the subject of thrash, and given that there are no official "degrees" to be worked towards...that might be enough as far as advanced billing goes. There is...as I recall, at least one other person here that I may concede to in this particular genre...and at this moment, I cannot definitely recall his/her "screen name" but I believe it to be Storm Shadow. He /she seems to be at least as well "listened" as I in this particular genre...and let me clearly state...this does not imply that I know more about anything than any of you about anything but thrash. Only thrash. And even this is merely an opinion albeit an informed one.

Of the albums Megadeth made..."Rust in Peace" is by far their best thrash record. "Peace Sells" is great, "So Far, So Good," and "Killing's My Business" are also great...but "Rust," of the records people have actually "heard," is the best. And I'll go so far as saying this should be considered a genre defining moment in thrash ahead of anything Metallica did. Best of the "mainstream" thrash records without question. Best thing a lot of people have heard.

You go underground...you open the discussion up to Overkill, Kreator, Exodus, Testament, and I would even say Anthrax...and the waters get muddied. Do we consider Suicidal Tendencies? Because I do for a part of their career...just the same way I exclude Megadeth and Metallica for a portion of their's. Do we consider Sodom? Because they deserve consideration.

Thank you for your time...and I apologize for my rant here....just a guy who loves some thrash...and really loves some more thrash.

Was this your question? No. I just wanted to talk a little thrash, and I've always considered "Rust" a benchmark piece of work in the genre of thrash. A masterpiece.

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Jan 3 2009, 07:00 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Jan 2 2009, 10:32 PM)

Let me clear something up here if I may. I am...in my own mind...something of an expert on the subject of thrash, and given that there are no official "degrees" to be worked towards...that might be enough as far as advanced billing goes. There is...as I recall, at least one other person here that I may concede to in this particular genre...and at this moment, I cannot definitely recall his/her "screen name" but I believe it to be Storm Shadow. He /she seems to be at least as well "listened" as I in this particular genre...and let me clearly state...this does not imply that I know more about anything than any of you about anything but thrash. Only thrash. And even this is merely an opinion albeit an informed one.

Of the albums Megadeth made..."Rust in Peace" is by far their best thrash record. "Peace Sells" is great, "So Far, So Good," and "Killing's My Business" are also great...but "Rust," of the records people have actually "heard," is the best. And I'll go so far as saying this should be considered a genre defining moment in thrash ahead of anything Metallica did. Best of the "mainstream" thrash records without question. Best thing a lot of people have heard.

You go underground...you open the discussion up to Overkill, Kreator, Exodus, Testament, and I would even say Anthrax...and the waters get muddied. Do we consider Suicidal Tendencies? Because I do for a part of their career...just the same way I exclude Megadeth and Metallica for a portion of their's. Do we consider Sodom? Because they deserve consideration.

Thank you for your time...and I apologize for my rant here....just a guy who loves some thrash...and really loves some more thrash.

Was this your question? No. I just wanted to talk a little thrash, and I've always considered "Rust" a benchmark piece of work in the genre of thrash. A masterpiece.

Thanks for "ranting", no apology necessary trink39.gif I'm not really schooled in thrash so I welcome all "rants" on offer cool.gif

I thought Countdown..., Youthanasia, and Cryptic Writings was a solid One, two, three punch. The Youthanasia tour ripped. I like Freidman's playing style.

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jan 4 2009, 05:58 PM)
Not many people mentioning Countdown to Extinction.
I loved that album.

I like it alot also..........especially the remastered version........

It'd likely be my 3rd fave behind Rust and Peace Sells........

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jan 4 2009, 04:00 PM)
QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jan 4 2009, 05:58 PM)
Not many people mentioning Countdown to Extinction.
I loved that album.

I like it alot also..........especially the remastered version........

It'd likely be my 3rd fave behind Rust and Peace Sells........

Same. Those were the first three Megadeth albums I bought and my three favorite. Pretty much the albums that really made me a big fan.

Im an expert on thrash as well, stick to d.r.i & sacred riech ohmy.gif

killing

peace

rust

system

so far,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Archived