The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

I know that "Big Generator" gets panned by some fans but I like it. It was one of the "big 3" releases of the Fall of 1987 which includes "Hold Your Fire" and "Momentary Lapse of Reason".

A very hopeful time for me....so it's a nostalgia piece.

Edited by circumstantial tree

Some points in response:

1. She is alluding to but not stating the central issue which is that the RRHoF is an elite institution that tries to be in touch with popular musical sentiment but usually fails. Look, if the fans already like Yes back in the 70's and the critics don't, then who needs the critics? Why should the RRHoF have any more legitimacy than popular opinion? In my view, Yes (as well as Rush, Iron Maiden and a bunch of other bands) are a classic, innovative groups that have made invaluable contributions to prog-rock (now recognized as a legit subset of rock as she fails to mention). To an extent, she is right that standards for artistic merit are culturally/historically constructed, but the problem there is that Yes are recognized by many people around the world as possessing such merit. If there are thousands of Yes fans and only 600 RRHoF voters, then who are the latter to say that Yes don't belong? In the end though, it really does not good to complain about it. The RRHoF will continue to frown upon prog-rock and metal while Yes fans and others will continue to see the RRHoF as elitist and irrelevant. I would like to visit the actual museum one day, but the RRHoF shouldn't be seen as any more credible than my opinion or yours. I'm not against rock as an academic subject so far as it relates to music theory, politics, sociology etc. I'm just against the notion that a small, elite group of critics can so easily brush aside well-respected, innovative bands like Yes.

2. Seriously, industry execs vote for the nominees? Well there goes her claim of self-interest (sales) not playing a part. Would you really expect the CEO of EMI Records, for example, to vote for a band/artist who's signed to Warner Music Group? No way! If I was an industry exec and had a position on the RRHoF committee, I'd vote for my best-selling band in order to to promote them.

3. I like how she describes independent labels as a "threat" to the major labels. The fact is that the major labels have always been a serious threat to the indies.

4. As far as "specialized knowledge" about rock goes, I think us prog-rock and metal fans have much more of that than the RRHoF. The same ignorant critics who derided prog-rock and metal back in the 70's and 80's are now part of the Rolling Stone/RRHoF music elite and are not much more knowledgeable about those genres now.

5. To the RRHoF, prog-rock is questionable as a part of rock yet Madonna and the Beastie Boys get in there easily. The first one is pop and the latter is rap-rock which is much more questionable as a subset of rock than prog-rock. And how about Elvis and Johnny Cash? Certainly they belong more in the Country Music Hall of Fame than in the RRHoF. It's just utter hypocrisy and proof of their arbitrary, elitist standards.

6. I'd like to point you guys to this website. It may be elitist as well, but if the RRHoF is going to discount our favorite prog-rock artists, then this is a nice form of payback. http://www.progressiverockhalloffame.com/#!inductees

Edited by adace1

I just ordered a pair of tickets from ticketmaster for $31 total for pine knob August 6. I am sooo happy, but would be happier if Jon didn't get thrown under the bus and was still their singer...

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 15 2012, 09:02 PM)
New interview with Chris Squire.
http://www.examiner.com/review/chris-squir...yes-on-broadway

He says that there's talk of Yes performing on Broadway. wtf.gif wacko.gif

I guess Yes will use any excuse to wear tights on stage, eh? laugh.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 15 2012, 10:40 PM)

laugh.gif

Maybe their next lead singer will be Dennis Deyoung.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 15 2012, 10:43 PM)

laugh.gif

With backup vocals by Ian Anderson! laugh.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 15 2012, 09:52 PM)

laugh.gif

And then when fans complain that it's not Jon, Yes will say "At least it's an Anderson!"

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 15 2012, 10:52 PM)

laugh.gif

Don't forget the flute. Imagine Close to the Edge with a 10 minute flute solo!

Just got Fly From Here from a $5 Amazon deal.

I am actually pleasantly surprised by how much I like it. I actually want to KEEP listening to it, sometimes 3 times in row. The title track is disjointed as hell and clunky, but I really like it a lot.

My biggest gripe is actually with Benoit. I wish he would've let loose a bit more vocally, his voice kind of stays in one range throughout. But the band sounds great and all the songs are pretty good.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ May 29 2012, 04:06 PM)

I am actually pleasantly surprised by how much I like it. I actually want to KEEP listening to it, sometimes 3 times in row. The title track is disjointed as hell and clunky, but I really like it a lot.

My biggest gripe is actually with Benoit. I wish he would've let loose a bit more vocally, his voice kind of stays in one range throughout. But the band sounds great and all the songs are pretty good.

goodpost.gif

I was actually really surprised with it. I was expecting it to completely suck but I liked it.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 29 2012, 04:08 PM)

goodpost.gif

I was actually really surprised with it. I was expecting it to completely suck but I liked it.

goodpost.gif Huge fan of FFH here! bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 29 2012, 03:08 PM)

goodpost.gif

Same. I need to take that approach with Clockwork Angels. It seems that when I expect to dislike an album, it winds up being one I really enjoy and when I am positive an album is going to blow me away, it always falls short.

Expectations are a blessing and curse when it comes to music.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ May 29 2012, 04:15 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 29 2012, 03:08 PM)

goodpost.gif

Same. I need to take that approach with Clockwork Angels. It seems that when I expect to dislike an album, it winds up being one I really enjoy and when I am positive an album is going to blow me away, it always falls short.

Expectations are a blessing and curse when it comes to music.

yes.gif

It is very sad that they continue to drag out YouTube singer after YouTube singer and play in front of about 500 people , in n.y/n.j anyway

QUOTE (beherit @ May 29 2012, 06:27 PM)
I'm probably gonna see Yes in July, it should be cool.

I saw them last july, Not cool