Favourite Movie Openings

yyzyy

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 1 2008, 09:53 PM)
The obvious choice - Raiders of the Lost Ark!

That's what I was thinking!

I'm sure there are others I love, but I'm having a brain fart.

STAR WARS!

I'm talking the 1977 original. First the 20th Century Fox logo and theme music, then the dramatic orchestral music, the Star Wars logo and the text that's diagonal on both sides towards the middle as it scrolls towards the top of the screen talking about the Empire and The Rebels. Then space and a slow scan over an enormous ship as the dramatic music continues, and then....

sorry, I just wet myself. oops.gif

*crawls back into his Star Wars geek cave*

unsure.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 2 2008, 05:06 PM)
STAR WARS!

I'm talking the 1977 original. First the 20th Century Fox logo and theme music, then the dramatic orchestral music, the Star Wars logo and the text that's diagonal on both sides towards the middle as it scrolls towards the top of the screen talking about the Empire and The Rebels. Then space and a slow scan over an enormous ship as the dramatic music continues, and then....

sorry, I just wet myself. oops.gif

*crawls back into his Star Wars geek cave*

unsure.gif

laugh.gif

fuuuuuck off

laugh.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Dec 2 2008, 01:46 PM)
Saving Private Ryan. That beach landing was the most intense twenty minutes of any movie that I have ever seen.

I agree! This was my first thought too before opening the thread.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Dec 3 2008, 11:50 AM)
If you didn't see STAR WARS in the theaters in 1977 then you'll never know why that was simply the greatest, most jaw-dropping opening of any film ever. In its day, the effect was....stunning.

goodpost.gif

And this was even more spectacular.

If you didn't see STAR WARS in the theaters in 1977 then you'll never know why that was simply the greatest, most jaw-dropping opening of any film ever. In its day, the effect was....stunning.

goodpost.gif

Absolutely! We'd never seen anything like that before!

In 1975, "Logan's Run" won an Oscar for special effects. Go watch it; the effects are complete cheese compared to "Star Wars" just two years later. This was revolutionary, and the opening shot of the Star Destroyer heralded the beginning of a whole new ballgame in the FX field.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 3 2008, 11:08 AM)
If you didn't see STAR WARS in the theaters in 1977 then you'll never know why that was simply the greatest, most jaw-dropping opening of any film ever.  In its day, the effect was....stunning.

goodpost.gif

Absolutely! We'd never seen anything like that before!

In 1975, "Logan's Run" won an Oscar for special effects. Go watch it; the effects are complete cheese compared to "Star Wars" just two years later. This was revolutionary, and the opening shot of the Star Destroyer heralded the beginning of a whole new ballgame in the FX field.

I was an easy sell since I was 8 years old in 1977, but I have to imagine that most people who saw that opening at the time were awestruck. It was just SO much more realistic than anything that existed back then, and the special effects still hold up pretty well 30+ years later.

One time when I was a teen-ager, I was at a Universal Studios or something like that in Florida or California and they did a demo using some of the actual cameras and models used in the film to show how some of the special effects were done. It was way cool. cool.gif