Wrath of Khan Question

ouchithurts

HBO is running Wrath of Khan this month and after watching it for the gazillionth time I am troubled by something. After Khan sets the Genesis device to explode why couldn't they lock onto to it and beam it into deep space in wide dispersal? This surely would have made it null and void and Spock would not have had to been killed.

And for those who wish to think this can't be done I ask that you refer to "Wolf in the Fold" of the original series and see what was done to Redjac.

There've always been transporter problems especially in the Captain Kirk/Mr.Spock Star Trek series. Also, they just finished another combat round with Chaka Khan and the boys. They might've had technical problems dealing with all kinds of shit. Last, Ricardo MontalKhan might've had some way where it COULDN'T have been teleported out since he knew that Genesis was so important and powerful. He did have a "superior intellect" after all. KHAAAAAAAAAAAAN........

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 12 2008, 10:05 PM)
There've always been transporter problems especially in the Captain Kirk/Mr.Spock Star Trek series. Also, they just finished another combat round with Chaka Khan and the boys. They might've had technical problems dealing with all kinds of shit. Last, Ricardo MontalKhan might've had some way where it COULDN'T have been teleported out since he knew that Genesis was so important and powerful. He did have a "superior intellect" after all. KHAAAAAAAAAAAAN........

Because there would have been no "SEARCH FOR SPOCK" and we would have never heard Savik say "Admiral, your son is dead" - And there would have been no Christopher Lloyd saying"I give two minutes for you and your galant crew" - And the captian of the Excelsior saying; "How can you have a yellow alert in space dock?" That's why Spock had to die -

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Oct 13 2008, 03:33 AM)
Because there would have been no "SEARCH FOR SPOCK" and we would have never heard Savik say "Admiral, your son is dead" - And there would have been no Christopher Lloyd saying"I give two minutes for you and your galant crew" - And the captian of the Excelsior saying; "How can you have a yellow alert in space dock?" That's why Spock had to die -

Exactly! Paramount felt that they hadn't fleeced the nerds quite enough yet. tongue.gif

'Star Trek' sucks, 'Star Wars' (the OT, anyway) is better!

Galaxy Quest is better than Trek! yes.gif

"Give me the device... the Omega 13!"

"Ya know what, gosh darn it, you win. Ya gotta give me a minute to put it in a box for ya..."

Genesis Device, Omega 13, whatever.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 13 2008, 07:42 AM)
Galaxy Quest is better than Trek! yes.gif

"Give me the device... the Omega 13!"
"Ya know what, gosh darn it, you win. Ya gotta give me a minute to put it in a box for ya..."

Genesis Device, Omega 13, whatever.

I'll go you one better: 'Galaxy Quest' is the best 'Star Trek' movie ever made!

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 13 2008, 07:26 PM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Oct 13 2008, 03:33 AM)

Exactly! Paramount felt that they hadn't fleeced the nerds quite enough yet. tongue.gif

You're on acid. ST and SW are like L.A. and NYC...2 very different big things that are loved and hated by many...but both very much worth a visit or 2.

Scientifically, you could say they were in the middle of the Mutara Nebula, which could have played havok with the transporter's energy streams. Although, one point Kirk said they would beam over and stop it, but his son responded that it couldn't be stopped. Maybe it just couldn't be beamed far enough away to put the ship out of danger.

Aww, c'mon. You mean you didn't enjoy Khan quoting Capt Ahab with his dying words?

QUOTE (ouchithurts @ Oct 12 2008, 08:10 PM)
HBO is running Wrath of Khan this month and after watching it for the gazillionth time I am troubled by something. After Khan sets the Genesis device to explode why couldn't they lock onto to it and beam it into deep space in wide dispersal? This surely would have made it null and void and Spock would not have had to been killed.

And for those who wish to think this can't be done I ask that you refer to "Wolf in the Fold" of the original series and see what was done to Redjac.

I always thought the device had its own shielding.

And also,

I LOVE WRATH OF KHAN, THE BEST STAR TREK MOVIE EVER!!

There, I feel better now, hah.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 13 2008, 05:26 AM)

The first 3 Star Wars movies were awesome, Phantom Menace and Clone Wars were awful, and the last one was much better but still not as good as the original trilogy.

That said, I think there's a lot of great Star Trek movies (2, 3, 4, 6, Generations, & First Contact) not including so many awesome episodes from TOS, TNG, and most especially DS9.

I really think this new Star Trek movie from Abrhams is going to be something special- it's just too bad they had to push it back to next summer when it was supposed to be this Christmas. Can't wait!

The answers to the question in the original post only serve to support my assertion that 'Star Trek' sucks. You basically have to go out of your way to invent reasons for a plot point to make sense instead of coming to the elementary conclusion that the plot point was stupid to begin with.

This leads one to the conclusion that Trekkies are basically apologists for a rotten TV show and series of movies.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 14 2008, 11:20 PM)
The answers to the question in the original post only serve to support my assertion that 'Star Trek' sucks. You basically have to go out of your way to invent reasons for a plot point to make sense instead of coming to the elementary conclusion that the plot point was stupid to begin with.

This leads one to the conclusion that Trekkies are basically apologists for a rotten TV show and series of movies.

laugh.gif I'm going to hope that everyone was joking. I know I was. Honestly, most of the ST movies sucked. I only liked KHAAAAAN + part 6 & 8. And the original ST series (not a big fan of the others) was cheesy goodness. What's not to like?

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 14 2008, 09:20 AM)

laugh.gif

While I agree with you that Star Wars is much better, you must admit that holes can equally be poked through the plot of the SW films.

I watched Wrath of Khan on Blu-Ray with my son Saturday night. This is still bugging me. It just does. Not make any sense for the Genesis device not to have been beamed into deep space in a dispersal pattern. I know I am nitpicking but this would have been best solution.

QUOTE (ouchithurts @ Oct 12 2008, 08:10 PM)

You're thinking waaaay too much. My brain hurts...

QUOTE (ouchithurts @ May 11 2010, 09:41 AM)
I watched Wrath of Khan on Blu-Ray with my son Saturday night. This is still bugging me. It just does. Not make any sense for the Genesis device not to have been beamed into deep space in a dispersal pattern. I know I am nitpicking but this would have been best solution.

You'll be glad to know that obsessive-compulsive disorder is very treatable!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Oct 13 2008, 08:08 AM)
Star Trek works best as a television show, not as movies. All the movies are disappointing on some level. I prefer the every television series over the movies.

With the Next Generation cast, all the movies were great, but I would have FAR preferred them do another TV season (or two!) of TNG in exchange for all those movies. None of them were so great that I couldn't have lived without them, although Generations was cool because it included Kirk AND Picard!

For the first few movies with the original cast they really didn't have anything to lose as the show was long over. Of those, I only thought 2 and 4 were really successful, but it's not like the other ones detracted form the legacy of the TV show or anything. Even the unsuccessful ones were ok, worth watching at least once.