Inthend

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Free Willy 3 062802puke_prv.gif

I loved 1 but that was enough for me, as my dad would say

"They can save a whale only so many fuc*ing times!"

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Aug 20 2008, 09:33 PM)
After Red October, Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger, three great movies i have to say Sum of All Fears sucked, and yes it was because of that horrible actor Ben Affleck -

While I agree with you that Sum of All Fears does suck (the film anyway, the book was excellent), it was not because of Ben Affleck. It would have helped if the people making the film had perhaps done more than quickly skim the book, or remembered it is in a series, in the middle, not a prequel to Red October, Patriot Games, etc. I'm also going to say that after I read the books, Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger were not all that great either. Those films could have been so much better than they were. But oh well.

I'll nominate one, Sphere. Another great book, horrible movie, and with that cast you'd think it would have been great, but even they couldn't help that bad script. Just awful

King Ralph & Blame it on the Bellboy.

There are others but those are the only 2 to date where I've actually walked out of the theater. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Aug 20 2008, 11:40 PM)
While I agree with you that Sum of All Fears does suck (the film anyway, the book was excellent), it was not because of Ben Affleck. It would have helped if the people making the film had perhaps done more than quickly skim the book, or remembered it is in a series, in the middle, not a prequel to Red October, Patriot Games, etc. I'm also going to say that after I read the books, Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger were not all that great either. Those films could have been so much better than they were. But oh well.

I'll nominate one, Sphere. Another great book, horrible movie, and with that cast you'd think it would have been great, but even they couldn't help that bad script. Just awful

Agreed on all counts. yes.gif goodpost.gif

I actually walked out of "Summer Of Sam". You know a movie is bad when you're hoping the serial killer gets busy real soon because the main characters are irritating and you're bored silly.

Not only did we walk out, we asked for, and got, a refund. Plus free passes for another time!

*If you do this, you HAVE to have your ticket stub, needless to say. They will check to make sure you didn't sit through it three times before deciding you hated the film.

QUOTE (Turn Me On Dead Man @ Aug 22 2008, 08:49 PM)
Disaster Movie, anyone?

And Epic Movie..........biggest waste of 8 bucks ever. 062802puke_prv.gif banghead.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jul 29 2008, 12:24 PM)
Ishtar

I vaguely recall a Gary Larson cartoon that was set in hell's video store. The only movie stocked on the shelves was 'Ishtar'. laugh.gif

I think 'Battlefield Earth' deserves a mention in this thread.

The movie "College" looks pretty dumb.

I'm probably going to catch all kinds of hell for this, but I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO EVER SEE (again - once was once too much) that pile of steaming crap know as Starship Troopers. That waste of celluloid had NOTHING in common with the classic and fantastic Robert A. Heinlein book except the name. Even the director (Paul Verhoeven) admitted he only read HALF the book, because it got too depressing.

I got into a debate about this so-called "film" over at CP, and said, (and I'll repeat it here, because it bears repeating) that Heinlein is probably spinning in his grave so fast, his bones are pressed to the sides of the casket due to centripetal force.

All copies of that movie should be buried in the desert alongside those millions of Atari ET games, and then the entire area sealed off as a toxic waste dump.

I also hate the remake of Rollerball. Generally, I don't mind remakes so much, as long as they have some relationship to the original movie, but this one should NOT have been called Rollerball. If I can ever get around the fact of it's title, I MIGHT be able to enjoy it more. Amnesia causing me to forget that I ever saw the original might be the way for that to happen.

Like someone else here, I'm also gonna get in a pre-emptive strike against Death Race, since it fails my criteria mentioned above. Might as well include the remakes of The Day the Earth Stood Still, Rocky Horror Picture Show (now with more songs added!!!), and possibly 2001, although I have some slim hopes about this one, until I hear more about it.

Oh, and I agree with the poster above me. As far as I'm concerned, the Alien series ended with Aliens (outstanding movie - not to mention, I knew the father of the girl that ALMOST played Newt - the studio wanted her, but she didn't want to do it, so they went with their second choice).

Edited by MaxxQ

QUOTE (MaxxQ @ Aug 28 2008, 12:52 AM)
I'm probably going to catch all kinds of hell for this, but I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO EVER SEE (again - once was once too much) that pile of steaming crap know as Starship Troopers.  That waste of celluloid had NOTHING in common with the classic and fantastic Robert A. Heinlein book except the name.  Even the director (Paul Verhoeven) admitted he only read HALF the book, because it got too depressing.

I got into a debate about this so-called "film" over at CP, and said, (and I'll repeat it here, because it bears repeating) that Heinlein is probably spinning in his grave so fast, his bones are pressed to the sides of the casket due to centripetal force.

All copies of that movie should be buried in the desert alongside those millions of Atari ET games, and then the entire area sealed off as a toxic waste dump.

No argument here, although at the time, the visual effects were pretty good. But not good enough to want to see it again.

I also agree about Armageddon and Pearl Harbor. Hey, look at that, both directed by Michael Bay! Since making The Rock (pretty good movie with a good cast) he has failed to make a coherent film.

QUOTE (Shifty @ Aug 23 2008, 05:48 AM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jul 29 2008, 12:24 PM)
Ishtar

I vaguely recall a Gary Larson cartoon that was set in hell's video store. The only movie stocked on the shelves was 'Ishtar'. laugh.gif

I think 'Battlefield Earth' deserves a mention in this thread.

Me too. I never saw it. Didn't have to. John Travolta is an excellent actor. He is also weird.

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Aug 27 2008, 03:09 PM)
"Aliens 3" is one i forgot to mention.

Ooo, awesome catch there!

I am a huge fan of the original, and although the 2nd was way more action than suspense I felt it was fantastic just the same.

And then I took a date to see Alien cubed or however they had it on the poster... Let's see, the first thing we'll do is kill off most everybody who survived the 2nd movie, most everybody who was actually good.. OFF SCREEN. That's always a great start, right there. eyesre4.gif

And I don't do the Alien purina combo. I mean adding a dog's DNA to an alien shouldn't make it stick to ceilings you know.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 28 2008, 12:42 AM)
I'm probably going to catch all kinds of hell for this, but I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO EVER SEE (again - once was once too much) that pile of steaming crap know as Starship Troopers.  That waste of celluloid had NOTHING in common with the classic and fantastic Robert A. Heinlein book except the name.  Even the director (Paul Verhoeven) admitted he only read HALF the book, because it got too depressing.

No argument here, although at the time, the visual effects were pretty good. But not good enough to want to see it again.

I also agree about Armageddon and Pearl Harbor. Hey, look at that, both directed by Michael Bay! Since making The Rock (pretty good movie with a good cast) he has failed to make a coherent film.

I actually really enjoyed Starship Troopers but I never read any books about it and had no expectations going into the theatre.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Aug 28 2008, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 28 2008, 12:42 AM)

I actually really enjoyed Starship Troopers but I never read any books about it and had no expectations going into the theatre.

Trust me...read the book and you'll see how much of a travesty the "movie" was.

Admittedly, the book itself was pretty controversial when it was written back in 1959. But if you can get by that, it's still a great read, and in some ways, eerily prophetic. Particularly in the in-book discussion of juvenile delinquents and the gang problems of the latter quarter of the 20th century.

Not to mention, the movie completely ignored the best part of the book - the power armor.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Aug 28 2008, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Aug 27 2008, 03:09 PM)
"Aliens 3" is one i forgot to mention.

Ooo, awesome catch there!

I am a huge fan of the original, and although the 2nd was way more action than suspense I felt it was fantastic just the same.

And then I took a date to see Alien cubed or however they had it on the poster... Let's see, the first thing we'll do is kill off most everybody who survived the 2nd movie, most everybody who was actually good.. OFF SCREEN. That's always a great start, right there. eyesre4.gif

And I don't do the Alien purina combo. I mean adding a dog's DNA to an alien shouldn't make it stick to ceilings you know.

Many Aliens fans, such as my self, have adapted to the theory that due to the many plot holes and inconsistencies in Alien 3, it didn't atually happen. We believe that the events in Alien 3 were actually a nightmare had by Ripley wile in cryosleep on the USS Sulaco. I've heard that James Cameron also follows that theory.

QUOTE (MaxxQ @ Aug 28 2008, 11:20 AM)

Trust me...read the book and you'll see how much of a travesty the "movie" was.

This is true for almost every movie made from a good book. The solution is to watch the movie first, then read the book and you'll like them both.

I have disliked all Clancy movies except Patriot Games and The Hunt for Red October. And even those two were not nearly as good as the books. But as far as movies go, they were pretty good.

I have never read the Starship Troopers book, but I enjoyed the movie. I wouldn't say it was great or anything so if the book was good, I probably would have hated the movie.