This Rush chapter comes to a close tonight

Cygnus The God Of Balance

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (GANRUSH2 @ Jul 25 2008, 12:55 AM)
The most touching moment of the evening was at the end of the encore when Neil stood up, instead of his usual quick wave both directions and run off .. he stood there for at least 1-2 minutes waving at the crowd, at one point touching his heart and mouthing "bye bye". I had never seen him do that in my 25 years of concerts.

Godspeed Rush.. we hope to see you again soon.

I think I would have cried. fists crying.gif fists crying.gif

The most touching moment of the evening was at the end of the encore when Neil stood up, instead of his usual quick wave both directions and run off .. he stood there for at least 1-2 minutes waving at the crowd, at one point touching his heart and mouthing "bye bye". I had never seen him do that in my 25 years of concerts.

Wow.

If the next album can't be called 'That's Bullshit' it should atleast have the acronym 'TB'. :-)

Really enjoyed 7 great shows on this tour. Next tour I'll be sure not to miss out on as many shows as I did this one!

QUOTE (spindrifting @ Jul 25 2008, 03:28 AM)
QUOTE (Supersyl @ Jul 25 2008, 01:56 AM)
That Neil "wave" scares me BIG TIME!!! fists crying.gif

When the road ends ~~~ Don't pout.

http://neilpeart.com/news/index.html

goodpost.gif

Someone should have made that as a sign for last night's show!!

It was a great 2 years - and I hope they enjoy a LONG, Healthy vacation (and then get back to work!!) tongue.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jul 24 2008, 09:16 PM)
But then, this year...jackpot REALLY struck as I was listening to my local radio station in the morning. Solve the Rush riddle, call in and win front row. I might have made myself late for work that morning, but it was worth every minute of it. Damn, I remember letting out a extremely loud shriek in my room when I won laugh.gif I simply could not believe it, I mean, these are things one thinks about in their head as they daydream, not reality. When show date arrived, it was so surreal. I got to share my experience with one of the awesomest and loyal fans on this board, Different Strings and be right in front of Geddy all night long. I wound up on rush.com because of my LUVGEDDY license plates and got signed stuff back from the boys a week later from the venue. No...THIS was my show, by far.

So... trink39.gif to another album, and maybe another tour. I can't wait for the DVD!

what a dream - it's fun to live through you, iluvgeddy!!

thanks Cygnus for starting this thread, i was thinking of beginning a thank you thread for the boys, - hope they pull it up in their blackberries while lying on the white beaches of antigua.... tongue.gif

Geddy, Alex and Neil - thank you from the bottom of my soul - your continued talent and creativity never ceases to amaze me - you bring such joy to our hearts. thank you for putting up with the dregs of touring - we appreciate it beyond measure. enjoy your time off - but please come back, we hope this tour has shown you that we will always be hungry for more. you are not done!!!

i was lucky enough to enjoy three shows on this tour - 2 in milwaukee - 8th row, x row, and 2nd row in chicago. unbelieveable, and each show made me feel closer to the band and fans.

we love you, we are privileged to have you in this world, PLEASE COME BACK fists crying.gif we love the continued evolution of your craft! wub.gif

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Can't wait for a good boot of that last show yes.gif

They deserve a good break. We have a great deal to be thankful for before they treat us again with another album.

I am sad there are no more Rush gigs on the horizon, but the upcoming Mark Knopfler, Paul Weller, Radiohead, Supergrass and Kooks ones will soften the blow trink39.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 25 2008, 08:07 AM)

Wow.

neil's a funny guy! eh.gif

This was my third show of the leg...and they seemed to get better every night. Indy was incredible. I can honestly say I'm a bigger fan now...more than ever. I'm looking forward to the next run, and I feel pretty sure there will be ONE more. I'll hear nothing of this being the end. There are too many places I plan to fly to the next time!

I have read that there is one more record on their contract, although I have no idea if this is true. I know that they could record and not tour...but I hang onto that idea as hope. Maybe one more tour with one leg through...The Farewell To Kings Tour?

Someone at the Indy show last night had a sign reading "LET NEIL SING" .. Geddy actually stepped up to the mic between songs (unplanned it seems, since the spot light didn't get on him until late in the speech) and said "That's a great sign.. Neil can sing, I don't care. It's up to him."

Oh.. and everybody's talking about touring with no new album.. it's ALSO true they could record with no tour. Don't forget that possibility.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jul 24 2008, 09:16 PM)

But then, this year...jackpot REALLY struck as I was listening to my local radio station in the morning. Solve the Rush riddle, call in and win front row. I might have made myself late for work that morning, but it was worth every minute of it. Damn, I remember letting out a extremely loud shriek in my room when I won laugh.gif I simply could not believe it, I mean, these are things one thinks about in their head as they daydream, not reality. When show date arrived, it was so surreal. I got to share my experience with one of the awesomest and loyal fans on this board, Different Strings and be right in front of Geddy all night long. I wound up on rush.com because of my LUVGEDDY license plates and got signed stuff back from the boys a week later from the venue. No...THIS was my show, by far.

I remember way back when Rush was "retired" after Neil's hardships, thinking I would never see them live ever. This band meant so much to me, more than just a good tune. They kept me going through so many tough times when I was younger and I can honestly say I don't know how I would have gotten through some nights without listening to them. If nothing made me smile in this world, it was Rush who did and inspired me to do whatever I dreamt. ("A spirit with a vision..") But when they came out with Vapor Trails and I got to see them for the first time...then a second..then a third, it was unbelievable. But being front row this year, and connecting with other TRFers has been so meaningful to me. My show this year was something I waited 15 years for, ever since I heard Rush for the first time. I still can't believe how lucky I've been.

So... trink39.gif to another album, and maybe another tour. I can't wait for the DVD!

ILG: I appreciate you sharing your experiences and your heartfelt appreciation for the band and I'm glad you had a really awesome time on the front row!

QUOTE (GANRUSH2 @ Jul 25 2008, 06:30 PM)
Someone at the Indy show last night had a sign reading "LET NEIL SING" .. Geddy actually stepped up to the mic between songs (unplanned it seems, since the spot light didn't get on him until late in the speech) and said "That's a great sign.. Neil can sing, I don't care. It's up to him."

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif If this EVER happens, I think there will be snowballs a-flyin' in Hell!

QUOTE (GANRUSH2 @ Jul 25 2008, 06:30 PM)

Oh.. and everybody's talking about touring with no new album.. it's ALSO true they could record with no tour. Don't forget that possibility.

That's extremely unlikely because of how much more lucrative touring is versus recording. Despite all the good vibes and critical acclaim, Snakes & Arrows had still only sold what, 350k copies? They probably make as much money in a week of touring as they do from the entire total sales of a new album at this stage of their career. Recording an album requires just as much of a time committment as a tour does, if not more - and the revenue generation is disproportionately tilted towards touring - so the recording-only option is pretty unlikely unless they simply want no part of being on the road (unlikely based on recent comments and which indicate they are enjoying touring as much as they ever have). Not to mention the fact that their opportunities to tour are extremely limited at this late stage of their career so to put one off an extra couple of years as they approach 60 is very costly. The R30 Tour is a pretty good representation of this line of thinking. Recall that coming out of VT, initial comments indicated that a new album was to follow, but ultimately the enormous money being thrown at them tilted them in the direction of a tour without an album.

What an AMAZING chapter it has been.

I can't even begin to put into words all the GREAT moments

that I got to enjoy because of 2.gif this past year.

Last year it started when alot of us got together

right up the road here to see the Montage show.

From there we took off to New York and caught

the Jones Beach show with alot of other fans. That

was a special show because Indy had made sure that

we got those tickets. RIP Indy rose.gif

Next we got the chance to have an absolute BLAST

@ PAGSCON 2007. And enjoy a 2.gif show with some

of the BEST PEOPLE EVER!!!

Then in August we got to fly out to Michigan to spend

some time with Ladirushfan80 wub.gif and she was an

ABSOLUTELY great hostess for the time we spent there.

We also got to hang with alot of other TRFers while

visiting. And we took in another 2.gif show.

September... THE GARDEN GRADY!!! 1022.gif

Then just about 2 weeks ago we had the pleasure of

going over to Pags and Owlswings home to spend a

few days with them before Pagscon 2008. Then the

rest of the 2.gif fans arrived and we partied like there

was no tomorrow. Even the EXXON STATION was party

grounds for us. 1022.gif And we saw 2.gif again.

So 6 shows since the Snakes and Arrows tour began

and I got to hang with some REALLY AMAZING people

that I like to call FAMILY!!! And all of this because of

the 3 guys that keep us all smiling.

Thank you Alex, Geddy, and Neil. You have made this an

amazing tour and I look foward to seeing you a few times

on the next on as well. biggrin.gif

It was great seeing 2.gif in New Jersey for the first time since 1981. 1022.gif That is something I will never forget. And to see them with all of the folks who attended Pagscon and a few others who met us at the Exxon station biggrin.gif I had a blast 653.gif cheer.gif common001.gif

Thanks for the memories and playing music all these years AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Jul 24 2008, 11:40 AM)
Tonight will mark the end of the second leg of the Snakes & Arrows tour. The boys have given us an album, a live album and 113 concert dates since Spring 2007. Can't wait for the DVD this fall.

Enjoy your well deserved rest guys....just don't take too long of a break!

Personally I got to see them twice, introduce and include my girlfriend and my daughter in my passion for 2.gif, go to two meet & greets, get a pair of used Neil sticks and make some great new friends here on TRF.

It's been an awesome experience, and being a part of this community has made it that much more fun and enjoyable.

goodpost.gif

Thank you Lerxst, Pratt, and Dirk. Look forward to hearing and seeing you sometime again.

Bravo Zulu! Well done.

My daughter and I have been reminiscing about the New Orleans show (OK she doesn't know she's reminiscing).

The last few hours, I've been in a state of looking back at this period in Rush's history and hoping we have another one like it or better ahead.

Someone who attended the Big Easy show did an amazing job with videotaping it.

This is a montage of several songs.

SPOILER VIDEO BELOW:

To Neil, Geddy and Alex - thanks for the memories!

Snakes and Arrows was a massive buzz for our family. My older son is now a complete and total Rush fanatic thanks to the two shows he went to with me. My younger son is also now wild about Rush and my wife now sings along with about 50 of their tunes after years of being a lukewarm fan. I can only hope that Al, Neil and Geddy take the break they deserve then come back with another studio album.

I was thinking about it earlier today, and it really has been a fantastic two years, for me and my Rush obsession.

I was a big Rush fan before, but the good feelings basically stopped after Moving Pictures, excluding Feedback. So when I found out there was a new album and tour in the works, I was really mostly excited about the tour part, since they hadn't toured since I had taken interest. (Well, maybe the tail end of the Feedback tour) (I should mention I wasn't introduced to the band until I was about 16 or 17, so that puts it at about 4 years ago when I fell in love.)

Anywho, when the tour dates were announced, I quickly singled out the July date in Las Vegas, so I could travel down there and go with my dad, my uncle, and my best friend. And we did, and it was one of the single greatest nights of my life. (Coincidentally, the month before seeing Roger Waters is up there as well)

As for the album, it was a very pleasant surprise. The previous show and the show I saw on the second leg also did something great, which was to open my eyes to the middle of the discography that I had largely ignored. Songs like Digital Man, Mission, Dreamline, Distant Early Warning, One Little Victory, and Ghost of a Chance all became interesting and likable, largely in part due to the fact I was lucky enough to hear them performed LIVE by Alex, Neil and Geddy.

I have no idea what drug GANRUSH was taking but I was there and Geddy spoke maybe anb extra 10-15 seconds between a couple songs and without meandering thoughts.

Neil waved maybe 2-3 extra times and was gone at the end of the show.

Archived