Hold Your Fire

Alex

QUOTE (nfcsaints @ Sep 8 2008, 03:42 PM)
My God! HYF turned 21 today!?!

Wow.......I'm getting old....... old.gif

Great album (imo) mostly because it was the first Rush album I bought as it was released. Had spent the previous 6 months wearing out tapes of GuP and PW as new listener.

HYF also had the distinction of being the first CD I ever purchased and (now that I think about it) the entire reason I bought a CD player!

I just love this forum! I don't post very often (don't figure anyone really cares what my opinion on any topic may be), but I read daily. The spectrum spanning opinions make for great reading! popcorn.gif

Oh......for the record......I absolutely love HYF! Open Secrets, Turn the Page and Second Nature (oh, and Prime Mover).....all memorable classics in my life's timeline!

.....end of transmission......

I wish you would post more often. Somehow you and I who've discussed the build up end of "Turn the Page"

I could use another HYF pal around here.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (King Troll @ Sep 8 2008, 03:45 PM)
I turned my vinyl copy of HYF into a Discus.

Lame album.

I'm ashamed to say I liked it on release, but the years have not been kind. Just as my HYF tour t-shirt doesn't fit me anymore, nor does the music on HYF fit with my tastes. Lacklustre.

I'm actually surprised - no, make that shocked - that there was ever a time when you liked it, Troll!

It's OK.

Time Stand Still is fantastic, one of my all-time favorite Rush songs, and Mission ain't bad either, but the rest just doesn't do much for me (I always skip the last 2 songs schla03.gif ). I love some of the lyrics on HYF, and it's maybe Geddy's best album on the bass, but there are too many keyboards for me, and that tone Alex seemed to have fallen in love with on many of the songs is wimpier than a 5-year-old's bicep. A good album, but the peak of Rush's 80's sterility. I'm more of a Hemispheres-PeW-MP kinda guy. smile.gif

Lame album.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif You're not nearly as annoying as your previous incarnation . laugh.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jun 18 2008, 08:34 AM)
Didn't always love that album. In fact originally the only songs I liked were Time Stand Still, Tai Shan and High Water... Which might seem particularly strange because most criticism about the album is directed at those three tracks.

Like you I put in the time and effort and allowed it to grow on me and while I essentially prefer Power Windows I think its more than a worthy follow-up and certainly one of the best Rush ever put out.

I still deserve a good kicking for rejecting Mission for so long, that song now stands as one of the most played of all time on my iTunes. The lyrics are amazing. In fact that goes for most of Hold Your Fire actually, the lyrics are incredible, some of the best Neil ever wrote in my opinion.

I was really really shocked to see on the "Your least favourite Rush album" thread that this was receiving a significant amount of votes, I'm not sure how stuff stands there at the moment but last time I checked it was actually in the lead as the overall worst Rush album... ahead of Feedback!

Welcome back. You have been conspicuous by your absence.

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Sep 8 2008, 10:06 PM)

Lame album.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif You're not nearly as annoying as your previous incarnation . laugh.gif

That's because I'm pissed off with Mrs Troll at the moment, so I feel better disposed towards the rest of the world.

Just wait till I'm getting along with her again, the rest of the world shall suffer biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Alex @ Jun 18 2008, 06:28 AM)
Well, when I first became a 2.gif fan and joined the forum and all, I would always notice a lot of people bashing HYF and the songs within. Now, I didn't like it at first but after a while I gave it more of a chance, starting with Prime Mover.

This album is very powerful and now Prime Mover is actualy one of my favourite 2.gif songs. I am not forcing my opinion on anyone else I just wanted to hear reasons why some people dont particularly like this album. I am just curious. So feedback is appreciated, please no "hate" messages.

old.gif Redeeming...

but Still: tempted.gif

smile.gif Happy 21st birthday HYF - a lyrically brilliant album and I love many of the songs as well. I know someone here who will agree with me about MISSION. 2.gif trink39.gif

When it first came out I thought it was OK...although being a 2.gif maniac at the time...I listened to it all the time, 'til I knew it note for note.

Time went by and it fell close to the bottom of my favorites list.

I still don't own it on CD, but having heard it recently....I think it's a good album.

If I listened to 2.gif like I used to...I would move it higher up the list.

Own it on vinyl, owned it on cassette, I'm now on my second cd copy.. I absolutely love it, Tai Shan included. I think we get a lot of emotion out of Geddy's voice on this one. Lyrics are outstanding! Good job Mr. Peart!

This was also the first tour I saw, could have something to do with it.

Apparently this has been in my regular listening rotation for 21 years now... sure doesn't seem like that long.

How can you not love Time Stand Still?

QUOTE (MCM @ Sep 9 2008, 06:45 PM)
Own it on vinyl, owned it on cassette, I'm now on my second cd copy.. I absolutely love it, Tai Shan included. I think we get a lot of emotion out of Geddy's voice on this one. Lyrics are outstanding! Good job Mr. Peart!

This was also the first tour I saw, could have something to do with it.

Apparently this has been in my regular listening rotation for 21 years now... sure doesn't seem like that long.

How can you not love Time Stand Still?

Absolutely does not seem like 21 years! 'Time Stand Still' indeed.

And I've always thought it had some of Neil's very best writing on it. I'm not a Tai Shan fan by any stretch, but I can sort of see where they were trying to go with that one.

So it's missing extended guitar solos. Well, Alex himself has said, "not every song needs a guitar solo."

For me the album took a while to grow on, but now that I listen to it, even single song is a work of art. Even those last two people call the weak songs, once you really get into the heart of the lyrics, the songs are really moving.

I've always really loved High Water but I realize I'm in the minority. There's something really elegant but powerful about it to me. I really love the sentiment of the lyrics which certainly helps. I'd love for them to bring back some other songs from this album because of their live sound these days. I think Prime Mover and Lock and Key particularly would win people over that didn't really appreciate those songs before because of the current heavier live sound.

Great album, great overall theme, great lyrics.

Maybe Geddy's best album from a bass perspective, and "Time Stand Still" was his best vocal performance at the time... to be outdone by "Available Light" on the next album.

Unfortunately, it was one of two tours I missed; I would've liked to have seen it. Of course, we have the ASOH video... and the new HYF songs really mesh well with the older stuff.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 11 2008, 03:46 PM)

Maybe Geddy's best album from a bass perspective, and "Time Stand Still" was his best vocal performance at the time... to be outdone by "Available Light" on the next album.

I give that to Power Windows, but I always put HYF a close 2nd. Just because PW has some strong bass lines throughout, and HYF has a few pretty weak ones.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Sep 11 2008, 03:41 PM)
I've always really loved High Water but I realize I'm in the minority. There's something really elegant but powerful about it to me. I really love the sentiment of the lyrics which certainly helps.

You have an ally! It conjures up some very wonderful and personal images for me. I am a water kid to be sure - in the summers, growing up, it took threats to get me out of the pool or the lake.

So I particularly love the line, "We still feel that elation, when the water takes us home. . ."

It's just a very personal song for me.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Sep 11 2008, 04:49 PM)
I've always really loved High Water but I realize I'm in the minority. There's something really elegant but powerful about it to me. I really love the sentiment of the lyrics which certainly helps.

You have an ally! It conjures up some very wonderful and personal images for me. I am a water kid to be sure - in the summers, growing up, it took threats to get me out of the pool or the lake.

So I particularly love the line, "We still feel that elation, when the water takes us home. . ."

I totally agree. The guitar in "Bacchus Plateau" section (if you know what I'm talking about) brings back some of the rock attitude, as did Turn the Page during the guitar solo.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Sep 11 2008, 03:49 PM)

Count me in as well. Probably my favorite track off HYF for the reasons you've mentioned.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 8 2008, 12:38 PM)
I bought it the day of release - the vinyl album that is. It would be my last Rush album vinyl purchase.

I went to the mall early that day and it wasn't in the bin yet. So I went to lunch and went back later. I was so excited!

That brilliant red cover stood out among all the other Rush covers. I mean, you couldn't miss it.

I turned the album over and saw that there were 10 songs on it as opposed to the usual 8 songs.

WRDU, our local (now defunct) hard rock and classic rock station premiered "Force Ten", "Time Stand Still", "Mission", and "Turn the Page" two weeks prior to the release in order to promote it. Those were the days.

I remember hearing "Time Stand Still" on the radio first and wondering who the female vocalist was and thinking it could have been Suzanne Vega. The voice was too whispery to be recognizable.

I also remember loving all 4 tunes before buying the album and knowing that I would love the entire thing.

hug2.gif That was really sincere, really sweet. I'm happy you loved it, having only just discovered it I feel the same!

Archived