Almost Got Arrested

GotRush

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 9 2008, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jun 9 2008, 02:33 PM)
Frankly, tampering with your plates should allow the cops to give you one truncheon shot. I hope the judge is as harsh as possible on you. Sorry.

Wow....what a dick!

I agree....Cop was on a powertrip already! Looking for a reason to be an ass! If he was a decent human being he would have just explained that you have to remove the "?" and be done with it!

People...you are all taking this toooo seriously! Law enforcement need to focus on people commiting real crimes, how is this such a "horrible" offence in a world full of rapists, child molesters, murderers, etc.?

I'd pay the f**king ticket and be done with it. Lesson learned.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mystic @ Jun 10 2008, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 9 2008, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jun 9 2008, 02:33 PM)
Frankly, tampering with your plates should allow the cops to give you one truncheon shot. I hope the judge is as harsh as possible on you. Sorry.

Wow....what a dick!

I agree....Cop was on a powertrip already! Looking for a reason to be an ass! If he was a decent human being he would have just explained that you have to remove the "?" and be done with it!

People...you are all taking this toooo seriously! Law enforcement need to focus on people commiting real crimes, how is this such a "horrible" offence in a world full of rapists, child molesters, murderers, etc.?

I'd pay the f**king ticket and be done with it. Lesson learned.

Because, it's these here that you have mentioned who would use this tactic to get away with the crime that they have or would commit!!

The whole point of having a legal plate is obvious wink.gif

QUOTE (Smudger @ Jun 10 2008, 10:09 AM)
QUOTE (J0N @ Jun 10 2008, 08:58 AM)
You probably would of got away scott free if you hadn't gone off on one saying that if no cop had ever pointed out you were in the wrong, which you were, then he must be wrong.

Please JON it is "You probably would have got away scott free" that is such a distressing error for me to see. My ten year old is always making the same mistake, even though I beat his buttocks with a whippy cane - luckily hubby has very little to do with the child, and I can get away with it.

The educational system in Britain really is ruined, in my day we were made to eat chalk dust for mistakes like that, and it never did us any harm smile.gif

surprised to see that this is still going.

So Smudger is a woman talking like this?

Sad.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Jun 10 2008, 06:17 PM)
OK everyone. . .if gotrush(?)  were unfortunate/irresponsible/drunk/evil enough to run down a child (god forbid), it'd be fairly easy to pick his plates out of a lineup.  Question mark or not.

Just trying to ease this thread back to civility, or some form thereof.

So by that rational one could deduce that it would be acceptable to shoplift a candy bar because after all its only worth $.75. If caught I should be let go without punishment?

Of course not.

I get what everyone is saying here but the point many people seem to miss here is that the law was broken. It doesn't matter how trivial it was, its against the law to modify a license plate. So the OP was in the wrong and had the audacity to challenge the ticketing officer. I cant see how anyone would be shocked over the result.

Edited by thesweetscience

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jun 10 2008, 07:10 PM)
OK everyone. . .if gotrush(?)  were unfortunate/irresponsible/drunk/evil enough to run down a child (god forbid), it'd be fairly easy to pick his plates out of a lineup.  Question mark or not.

So by that rational one could deduce that it would be acceptable to shoplift a candy bar because after all its only worth $.75. If caught I should be let go without punishment?

I'm sorry but that makes absolutely no sense to me. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Jun 10 2008, 07:12 PM)

Neh, not questioning the validity of the ticket at all. Legal lesson learned the hard way.

I was referring more to Smudger's neighborhood vigilantism in reporting plates she thinks may have been altered.

I'll bet she's a hoot to have as a next door neighbor. In the States, she'd be one of those people who drives through the community daily, looking to see who hasn't cut their grass recently so she can call Code Enforcement on them.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Jun 10 2008, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Jun 10 2008, 07:12 PM)

Neh, not questioning the validity of the ticket at all. Legal lesson learned the hard way.

I was referring more to Smudger's neighborhood vigilantism in reporting plates she thinks may have been altered.

I'll bet she's a hoot to have as a next door neighbor. In the States, she'd be one of those people who drives through the community daily, looking to see who hasn't cut their grass recently so she can call Code Enforcement on them.

Sorry I should have worded that better! doh.gif laugh.gif

I understand what you were saying, but I didn't see how TSS's response had anything to do with the point you were trying to make.

the OP was in the wrong and had the audacity to challenge the ticketing officer.  I cant see how anyone would be shocked over the result.

I believe this cop was gonna write the citation no matter how I would have handled it. My van has a fair amount of Rush stickers and a large 2112 star, this might have added to his bad attitude. this officer was older ( 55+) and had his game face on before I said a word. As I explained earlier after 4 years & 4 direct encounters with the Law over this, none of them even suggested I should remove it. that's all I mentioned to the cop who then informed me its criminal and he could take me to Jail over this. I have no problem with admitting I was wrong and told the officer that too, to no Avail. confused13.gif

I pretty much knew that it was illegal, just didn't realize it was a " Criminal " offense. doh.gif

yes.gif Pushing my luck Is my style. I will pay the Price....

BTW, only the Reno 911 cops would be unable to trace that plate to me. sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Smudger @ Jun 10 2008, 09:09 AM)
My ten year old is always making the same mistake, even though I beat his buttocks with a whippy cane - luckily hubby has very little to do with the child, and I can get away with it.

Wow. Um... Hm. So much to say - most of it not pleasant - about what a wonderful parent you must be.

I gotta say (yes, I did just use improper grammar) that while I agree with the officer that the ? should never have been on the plate, and think GotRush should suck it up and pay the fine (assuming it doesn't mean you'd have a criminal record of course, GR; I'd hate to see that happen over a silly sticker)...

Hoping someone's child gets run over & killed is deplorable. But then, this is coming from someone that uses a cane to discipline their child, and is ok that their spouse doesn't pay attention to the child and therefore doesn't notice the beatings. angry.gif

Edited by TheBlonde

"Altering a plate" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

It's a small questionmark sticker. If that confuses the police then those are some pretty stupid cops. It's not like the guy drew wangs and boobs on it. I think my grandma has a smiley face sticker on her plates, I hope they give her the chair.

Also.....Smudger's comment was the most psychotic thing I've ever seen on a message board. It almost has to be a joke.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Jun 10 2008, 09:24 PM)
Smudger's neighborhood vigilantism in reporting plates she thinks may have been altered.

http://www.b-movies.gr/UserFiles/Image/death%20wish%20uk.jpg

QUOTE (TheBlonde @ Jun 11 2008, 10:03 AM)
QUOTE (Smudger @ Jun 10 2008, 09:09 AM)
My ten year old is always making the same mistake, even though I beat his buttocks with a whippy cane - luckily hubby has very little to do with the child, and I can get away with it.

Wow. Um... Hm. So much to say - most of it not pleasant - about what a wonderful parent you must be.

I gotta say (yes, I did just use improper grammar) that while I agree with the officer that the ? should never have been on the plate, and think GotRush should suck it up and pay the fine (assuming it doesn't mean you'd have a criminal record of course, GR; I'd hate to see that happen over a silly sticker)...

Hoping someone's child gets run over & killed is deplorable. But then, this is coming from someone that uses a cane to discipline their child, and is ok that their spouse doesn't pay attention to the child and therefore doesn't notice the beatings. angry.gif

What a family that must be.

Update,

Court was today ! Saw the judge, Judge Laura.... Had to plead Guilty, or set a court date for the State to prove there case, incurring more court costs if I loose, ect.... Before pleading guilty I was informed of the penalties, upto 6 months Jail and/or up to 2500.00 fine. Yikes ! I still plead Guilty & Presented my evidence. ( i brought my duplicate plate in with a similar sticker on it ) The Judge looked at it first didn't realize anything was wrong ! then I pointed out the sticker was the problem, she then pulls out the Law Book & finds her way to the Statute & first reads the paragraph to her self then makes a sigh'ing sound & proceeds to read me the statute verbatim gets down to the last few words that state.... "or Altered in any way ". She then say's, looks like this does applys to what you did. Levied a $ 200.00 fine for my infraction. Down stairs a clerk saw my plate & i told her what had happened & she was glad I told her cause she just got some specialty " save the animals " plates & was going to Paint the animal a different color.......criminal.....

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 9 2008, 07:16 AM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Jun 9 2008, 05:12 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 9 2008, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE (GotRush @ Jun 8 2008, 08:28 PM)
Drivin into work last friday, a police car pulls up behind me & light's me up. I pull over & He come up & asked for license/ins/reg & ask's me if I was the one who altered my license plate. ( I have a personalized plate of GOTRUSH, but i attached a Question mark ? at the end with a sticker, so i kinda looks like GOTRUSH? ) well i say sure, the older officer informs me this is a "Criminal Offence" and i explain its been there for 4 years & i have had various encounters with law enforsment & nobody ever told me i should remove it ! ( my son is a county Sheriff Officer ) Then he tells me i'm lucky he doesn't take me to JAIL ! jezzz.... the more i spoke the madder he got. He ended up writing a Criminal Ticket for " Knownly Displaying Altered Plates" with a court date on monday june 16th. I haven't yet checked into the penalty/fine for this.  sad.gif

they took pictures & removed the sticker like it was the crime of the century. there was 3 cars & 5 cops at one point ! what a Joke ! oh yea this happened here in Phoenix @ about 8am.

I'm not sure if I want to fight this ticket, or if that's gonna piss the Judge off worst, plus I would have to take time off work & deal with the stupid court process, Thinkin on asking for a postponment & then set another court date & maybe the officer won't make it to court.......

Cops are great when you need them, but otherwise they can sure suck sometimes...

Pfft, when are they ever there when you need them?? sarcasm.gif

He could have just asked GR to remove the sticker, he didn't have to get in a tizzy about it..

Drunk with power. eh.gif

Sad but true. When I turn 16, I am gonna get some kind of Rush reference on my plate. Probably 2112 and some other stuff- better chances.

Best of luck with this Texas bubblegum machine! wink.gif

Considering the maximum penalties, you got off with a slap on your hand. When I first started reading it, I immediately thought that you would have to get a lawyer.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 16 2008, 05:15 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 9 2008, 07:16 AM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Jun 9 2008, 05:12 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 9 2008, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE (GotRush @ Jun 8 2008, 08:28 PM)
Drivin into work last friday, a police car pulls up behind me & light's me up. I pull over & He come up & asked for license/ins/reg & ask's me if I was the one who altered my license plate. ( I have a personalized plate of GOTRUSH, but i attached a Question mark ? at the end with a sticker, so i kinda looks like GOTRUSH? ) well i say sure, the older officer informs me this is a "Criminal Offence" and i explain its been there for 4 years & i have had various encounters with law enforsment & nobody ever told me i should remove it ! ( my son is a county Sheriff Officer ) Then he tells me i'm lucky he doesn't take me to JAIL ! jezzz.... the more i spoke the madder he got. He ended up writing a Criminal Ticket for " Knownly Displaying Altered Plates" with a court date on monday june 16th. I haven't yet checked into the penalty/fine for this.  sad.gif

they took pictures & removed the sticker like it was the crime of the century. there was 3 cars & 5 cops at one point ! what a Joke ! oh yea this happened here in Phoenix @ about 8am.

I'm not sure if I want to fight this ticket, or if that's gonna piss the Judge off worst, plus I would have to take time off work & deal with the stupid court process, Thinkin on asking for a postponment & then set another court date & maybe the officer won't make it to court.......

Cops are great when you need them, but otherwise they can sure suck sometimes...

Pfft, when are they ever there when you need them?? sarcasm.gif

He could have just asked GR to remove the sticker, he didn't have to get in a tizzy about it..

Drunk with power. eh.gif

Sad but true. When I turn 16, I am gonna get some kind of Rush reference on my plate. Probably 2112 and some other stuff- better chances.

Best of luck with this Texas bubblegum machine! wink.gif

HA im almost 17 Tim! cool.gif

B U M P , bumper.gif

I was a witness in an traffic accident yesterday & 2 cops were standing near the back of my car & saw my GOTRUSH plate & commented about it,

I told them about the "Criminal Ticket" I got & showed them exactly how I had that ( ? ) mark/sticker

Both Phoenix Police officers thought is was clever & not ticket-able,

Just saying,

That particular altered plate was a NON Issue until,

That particular cop decided it was

----------

QUOTE (TheBlonde @ Jun 9 2008, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 9 2008, 10:37 AM)
First off, chances are good that the officer in question worked for a division of the PD that deals exclusively with traffic offenses, so he wouldn't be chasing major criminals if not for issuing the ticket in question.

Secondly, altering license plates is something criminals do in order to aid their escape after committing major crimes.  Obviously not the case here, but investigating seemingly minor infractions can often lead to major busts.

Thirdly, trying to tell an officer why they are wrong to ticket you is just asking them to go on a power trip.

I have to agree.

I think it was questioning the cop's ability to understand the law that got his back up and resulted in the ticket. It is illegal to add anything to your license plate. If you really wanted to keep it on there, you could have just as easily gotten out, took the ? off yourself and then put on a new one later that day.

As stated in my OP, after he asked for L/R/Insurance & asked who put on the sticker, I immediately told him I did that, took responsibility

His attitude was ON TILT from the 1st words he said to me, so,

I calmly added my comments about previous encounters with police & they never mentioned this was an infraction,

That sent him into FULL TILT , telling me he could & should take me to Jail!

( WTF, if my information is from his counterparts, why should he go off on me ??? )

I started to backpedal & Kiss ass, but he just cut me off & kept yelling at me, rage.gif

He finally told me to stay in my car until he figures out what to do with me !

In those 5 minutes, 3 other patrol cars & 5 more cops showed up

BTW, scared.gif

If at any time I had tried to exit my van & remove sticker I would have been TAZERED & gone to jail & had my van towed & lost my job I was on my way to ! doh.gif

No doubt about it !

ohmy.gif

QUOTE (hunter @ Sep 22 2011, 05:31 PM)
You should put on a clear cover over your plate and stick the  ?  to that. Or maybe some little springy piece that is attached to the license plate frame. You haven't actually altered the plate now have you?

Clear plate covers are "Illegal" dazed025.gif

So is my current plate frame dazed025.gif ( My other car is a Barchetta ), because the upper part actually covers the state ( Arizona )

Haven't got pulled over for that yet !

But,

The ? on the plate frame. not on plate, but kinda infront & beside. yes.gif I have thought about doing this.

If I did that, it would look cool, but that cop was 1 mile from my house &

If that particular cop was to see it,

Ya know I would be going to "Jail" for something ! ! !

confused13.gif

What ya did is "illegal' and I'll assume ya kinda knew it, but it isn't like you were intentionally trying to alter the plate in a way to deceptively defraud the GOV. I'm sure you have similar occurrences out there as we do here in Atlanta where the police just drive past those who either have no plate at all or have a cardboard "plate" stating tag applied for. I mean damn... at least ya have one and it's legit. My favorite one here was a when a cop pulled a car over in my county. The cardboard tag in the back window stated "tag aply 4 on Feb. 31". Driver was here ILLEGALLY (duh) and they found an unrestrained child and about 2 lbs of Mexican meth. Sadly, he was arrested again about 3 weeks later for disorderly conduct, public drunkenness and discharging a firearm within city limits. How could that happen I ask??? I get the daily mugshots in my area via email. Anyway, I would at the very least, let the judge know you had no criminal intent, are now aware that it is an infraction, apologize for your negligence in knowing that what you did was a criminal offense and would appreciate any lenience he or she might be willing to afford. It wasn't intentionally offensive, is obviously not an attempt to evade the law and could very well have been placed there by.... Never mind. You admitted it all and that's how it is. The very fact that you admit your "wrong doing" but had no idea that it was illegal...should be enough to show to the judge that in THIS case, some lenience should be allowed. PLUS... I'll assume you paid extra for the "vanity plate" like we do here. They got their extra $ from ya already! I wish you well my friend. The Law is the Law but ain't that why we have judges????

I would have fought it and made it more expensive to prosecute me. They are so used to and accustomed to getting their way with all of the CATTLE( no offense intended but it is true) that comes through the courtroom, they don't know how to act or have forgotten what to do when challenged. More so in traffic court. So when the cost of me starts to gain on their profits.....they dismiss the case.

Remember, Traffic court is a FOR PROFIT business.

Edited by Ghostnotes