What Kind of Airplay Does RUSH Get

rushfan1966

Here in NYC the classic rock station is Q104.3. They kinda suck, but they're all we've got, so oh well. This is all they pretty much ever play: Tom Sawyer, Limelight, TSOR, and Subdivisions. They used to play Red Barchetta, but i think they have unfortunately removed it from their rotation.

Still they do have their moments. Once, when my dad had picked me and my friend up after a Rush concert and was driving us home, he got a little tired of us blasting Hemispheres through the stereo. He told us that he knows we love Rush, but personally he doesn't like Ged's voice. We of course give him dirty looks for that. So he decides to put on the radio to get away from Ged's voice, and what does he hear? ANTHEM!

It was SO PERFECT!!! biggrin.gif

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't listen to the radio for music. I haven't in decades. It's just sports and talk radio for me.

I have every song Rush has recorded plus numerous bootlegs. Radio...I don't need no stinkin' radio!

The online/digital station Planetrock plays some Rush regularly, i heard Fly By Night the other day, i know they might not be to everyones taste here but you can also hear a fair bit of Marillion on there, the only radio station in the UK to play both on a regular basis.

Have a look/listen Planetrock

They were in a bit of trouble recently, the parent company that owns them was in financial trouble and if no buyer came forward they were going to close the station down, it was bought last week by none other than Brian May from Queen !

The only radio station worth listening to in my opinion.

QUOTE (rushringleader @ May 15 2008, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (steelcaressed @ May 15 2008, 08:29 AM)
In the DC area, if you want to hear  2.gif  you better listen to a Baltimore station. 

97 rock in Balmer played a single of My Favorite Headache when it was released.  They play all the stock ones, but sometimes you hear an oddity.  I've heard them play T4E.

I don't know what 98 Rock you are listening to. I only hear Tom Sawyer if they play anything. Did you notice when they were giving away Rush tickets all day they didn't play a single Rush song. I would know, I was listening all day, even during school, as were my parents. So yeah, 98 Rock in balmer as he calls it plays Tom Sawyer, thats all.

He calls it as he's heard it over the years. Perhaps you'll understand when you have more than a couple of decades under your belt. I said those were the songs that I have heard, not the songs that they always play.

I didn't say they were playing MFH now, nor did I say that they were playing anything currently. What I said was that they were the only local station that plays 2.gif And then, I listed the songs I have heard over the years.

And the station is located in Balmer, Merlin. (That would be the vernacular pronunciation.)

Any questions?

Radio is about advertising and demographics, not music.

All this machinery

Making modern music

Can still be open-hearted

Not so coldly charted

Its really just a question

Of your honesty

One likes to believe

In the freedom of music

But glittering prizes

And endless compromises

Shatter the illusion

Of integrity

QUOTE (Battlestarfilmmaker @ May 16 2008, 10:44 PM)

All this machinery

Making modern music

Not so coldly charted

Of your honesty

One likes to believe

In the freedom of music

But glittering prizes

And endless compromises

Shatter the illusion

Of integrity

look how long ago that was written too. it's gotten a lot worse since then.

QUOTE (Battlestarfilmmaker @ May 16 2008, 10:44 PM)

All this machinery

Making modern music

Not so coldly charted

Of your honesty

One likes to believe

In the freedom of music

But glittering prizes

And endless compromises

Shatter the illusion

Of integrity

Yeah, and what about illegal downloading!!!!!

QUOTE (theworkingman @ May 16 2008, 03:34 PM)
Tony Scott? I don't remember when Joe Benson used to do it but I know Tony Scott gets his facts mixed up sometimes. And they played 7 albums instead of three? Did they have Breakfast with the Beatles? They must have had a lot more time to do that if they played that many albums.

Tony Scott's a pretty good guy, but I had to call him twice in one night to correct things he said about Def Leppard pokey.gif

Uncle Joe was the original, through the 80's and into the early 90's or so. He'd always do 7 albums and the show ran up to midnight. Then KLOS went through their attempt to play modern rock/grunge and fired all the DJ's. Within a year they pulled their head out of their ass and went back to their "original" format. The Seventh Day came back later, also with Joe Benson, but they cut it to 3-4 albums depending on length. That was also during the time of Steve Downs and Get The Led Out at 8 PM, and Bob Coburn ("Rockline") was the afternoon guy. He still does Saturday afternoons. I don't know when Breakfast With The Beatles went away, but I remember listening to it when I had a paper route for the L.A. Times back in '95 or so.

I still like the station OK, but I can only handle so much of The Doors, The Who, U2, The Rolling Stones, and The Beatles. Which isn't much.

What L.A. needs is a station that used to be in Modesto - frequency was 95.1, don't remember the call letters. When I was a field rep I used to drive all over southern and central California. I always switched to that station when I was in the area. They played almost nothing but 80's rock - Rush, Leppard, Journey, Scorpions, Night Ranger, on and on and on. It was fantastic! When I switched jobs I used to listen to their Internet stream. Then one day I tune in and they'd converted to a KIIS top 40 knockoff. wtf.gif

QUOTE (Rushian King @ May 15 2008, 11:09 AM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ May 15 2008, 11:10 AM)
Im in Toronto and on Q107 Rush is played every hour and Im not exaggerating. I love it!  biggrin.gif

Yes you are tongue.gif but they are played very regularly. Probably because it fills their Cancon quotas otherwise I'm all but certain they'd be played less.

Q107's song/artist selection isn't varied enough for my tastes so I rarely listen to it anymore. I usually listen to CFNY (refuse to call it The Edge eyesre4.gif ), JackFM which at least mixes in newer songs and artists, CHUM AM for a 50s/60s early rock fix, or if I can get the reception (not often enough) 97.7 out of Hamilton which also plays newer rock and isn't afraid to play hard/heavy rock like Maiden and Priest.

Wow, I listened to Q107 lots when I lived in Toronto........and I honestly never heard that much Rush, once in a while yeah........

QUOTE (Rushian King @ May 15 2008, 12:09 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ May 15 2008, 11:10 AM)
Im in Toronto and on Q107 Rush is played every hour and Im not exaggerating. I love it!  biggrin.gif

Yes you are tongue.gif but they are played very regularly. Probably because it fills their Cancon quotas otherwise I'm all but certain they'd be played less.

Q107's song/artist selection isn't varied enough for my tastes so I rarely listen to it anymore. I usually listen to CFNY (refuse to call it The Edge eyesre4.gif ), JackFM which at least mixes in newer songs and artists, CHUM AM for a 50s/60s early rock fix, or if I can get the reception (not often enough) 97.7 out of Hamilton which also plays newer rock and isn't afraid to play hard/heavy rock like Maiden and Priest.

97.7 is fantastic. They play them about once an hour and a half, I'd say, and not to forget the Adrenaline Rush! biggrin.gif (one somewhat "obscure" tune every weeknight at 11pm, great stuff) I can tune in from the car, but I only get the strongest signals from my room, it's odd, though I think it's interference from the condo building itself.

Hardly any , close to zero.

Now METALLICA, I swear they own stock with clear channel.

QUOTE (rushfan1966 @ May 14 2008, 07:32 PM)
I live in the Seattle area, and we have 2 stations for Rock. 1 station only plays minimal RUSH, mostly on Sunday Morning with "Dude Its The 80's"
The other station is classic rock and they only play a few different RUSH songs. Nothing New doh.gif We need a station here that plays rock from the 70's up to present time with certain bands.

I was just wondering what kind of airplay RUSH gets elsewhere in the country?

Thanks for reading.....Take Care!!

2.gif The Best Band in the World

You're lucky they play few Rush songs.

Here where I live they *rarely* play something from the band. It's a poor thing. =/

Sad to say - for the first time in 6 years of living part time in upstate NY I FINALLY heard Rush on the radio just a week ago! biggrin.gif

On the other hand in south east Va where I go to school they actually play quite a bit - I was so excited when I heard them the first time down there I almost drove off the road. eh.gif ...oops

I live in an area where I get Indianapolis,Cincinnati and Dayton stations , here's what I've heard over the years.

Finding My Way

Working Man

Fly By Night

Anthem

2112 (Overture & Temples)

Closer to the Heart

The Trees

The Spirit of Radio

Frewill

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

Limelight

Subdivisions

New World Man

Distant Early Warning

The Big Money

Time Stand Still

Show Don't Tell

Roll the Bones

Dreamline

Ghost of a Chance

Stick It Out

Cold Fire

Test For Echo

One Little Victory

Far Cry

The Way the Wind Blows

Everything after the Signals era was played only when it was new or if they're in one of these towns at the time.

Now that I remember promos, our station (in Augusta, GA) once played Summertime Blues..... though it was on Rockline doh.gif

Archived