John Rutsey dead at 55

rushfr:CP

QUOTE (SirDraco @ May 14 2008, 02:39 AM)
QUOTE (Scooch @ May 13 2008, 05:38 PM)
According to Wikipedia -

On May 11, 2008, Rutsey passed away from a heart attack while he was asleep.

Yes. He passed away in his sleep due to a heart attack resulting from complications from diabetes. I know this due to an email exchange from someone I have 100% trust in.

Nothing from John's family as of yet, but there will be an announcement in a few days as to an address where fans can send a donation in John's name.

As for why nothing has been posted on rush.com, it is very possible that the web designers for rush.com at the request of Anthem, Geddy, Alex, and to that extent, Neil, are working on a proper tribute. Not just a quick news blurb. I personally wouldn't expect anything on rush.com for a day or more until the tribute is done, and the family has made their statements.

Thanks for the info, Ken.

Thank you Mr. Rutsey for your contribution in this world.

rose.gif

I know this will come as a shock to fans that worship the Peart dynasty but I know some people that ONLY listen to the first album. I too love it for its ballsy, gritty execution and honest lyrics. Rock albums don't get better than this.

Every oak starts with a seed. Thanks for being a part of that seed John.

I know you'll be finding your way back home.

terrible news.

he probably was a guy with a lot of class and integreity. he couldve capitalized on rush's popularity and written a few books about the early years of rush, or gone on a few talk shows to gossip about geddy and alex. he couldve even recorded a few solo albums in 82 or 83 when rush was becoming very popular.

instead, he did the classy thing and stayed out of rush's fame. RIP JR.

Edited by fs2112

Someone mentioned earlier about the guys doing a tribute song for the rest of the tour. I don't think that they'll go that far. Most likely they'll just make a statement in the Toronto Star and their website. If they were to do a tribute song, my thinking is that it would be something from the debut album. Perhaps Working Man or In The Mood or Finding My Way. I would also guess that it would be a gesture from Neil to Alex & Ged as well. However, as nice as that would be, I doubt it.

Yes. I think acknowledging John Rutsey is about as far as they would go. Playing a song from the debut album would be nice, but I don't think they'll do it. If it was me, I would play the debut album in its entirety over the PA before the concert.

QUOTE (fs2112 @ May 14 2008, 09:46 AM)
terrible news.

he probably was a guy with a lot of class and integreity. he couldve capitalized on rush's popularity and written a few books about the early years of rush, or gone on a few talk shows to gossip about geddy and alex. he couldve even recorded a few solo albums in 82 or 83 when rush was becoming very popular.

That is so true. Very well said.

QUOTE (fs2112 @ May 14 2008, 10:46 AM)
terrible news.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ May 14 2008, 11:22 AM)
terrible news. 

he probably was a guy with a lot of class and integreity.  he couldve capitalized on rush's popularity and written a few books about the early years of rush, or gone on a few talk shows to gossip about geddy and alex.  he couldve even recorded a few solo albums in 82 or 83 when rush was becoming very popular.

instead, he did the classy thing and stayed out of rush's fame.  RIP JR.

That is so true. Very well said.

I agree, very nicely put.

terrible news.

That is very true. Probably one of the finest quotes ever written on this board.

We all forget that while a lot of former band members from other bands tend to capitalize from their former mates, Mr. Rutsey bowed out from Rush gracefully, and never held any hostilities against the band.

Clearly, he was a very gracious and unselfish man. He really does deserve the respect of every Rush fan. heart.gif

terrible news.

Not to dissagree, but I don't believe with Rush being at the height of there success in 1981, Rutsey could have really profited from it in any way. Thats just my opinion. Rush has had a fair amount of success in there career, and most certainly the highest level of longevity, but none of this really would helped John Rutsey make much money riding Rushs coat tails.

All that being said, he was a part of one of the greatest bands (the greatest) in rock history and im sure he was very proud of that.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 14 2008, 09:52 AM)
Yes. I think acknowledging John Rutsey is about as far as they would go. Playing a song from the debut album would be nice, but I don't think they'll do it. If it was me, I would play the debut album in its entirety over the PA before the concert.

Great idea.....truly would be an appropriate thing to do.

RIP Mr. Rutsey sad.gif