Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 11 2010, 08:56 PM)
In Absentia
Deadwing
Fear Of A Blank Planet

Start with those three then move backwards to Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream.

If all of that works for you, launch forward to their latest The Incident.

Generally I would say yes, but in reality it depends on what the individual is into. The older material has in fact been the favorite of some people.

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jul 11 2010, 10:23 PM)
I just bought Deadwing

really digging it.

I wish they'd come to Boston again but the closest they're coming is NYC

good move. so many great tunes on that disc.

Arriving somewhere but not here......... 1022.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 1 2010, 08:29 PM)
QUOTE (tripdad @ Jul 1 2010, 10:19 AM)
Anyone know how long the set list is for PT playing with Coheed?  I see they are coming to Cleveland, but if they only play 40 minutes I will probably pass since I saw them in Cinci in May.

About 90 minutes each is the word

90 minutes? Seems like a long time for not a headliner and three bands are playing. Would be cool though.

Going to see them now in Vegas since they are there the Friday night before 2.gif !!

QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 12 2010, 09:25 AM)
QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jul 11 2010, 10:23 PM)
I just bought Deadwing

really digging it.

I wish they'd come to Boston again but the closest they're coming is NYC

good move. so many great tunes on that disc.

Arriving somewhere but not here......... 1022.gif

That song just about defines every aspect of the band. Or maybe Anesthetize.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 13 2010, 11:50 PM)
QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jul 13 2010, 07:02 PM)
follow me down, to the valley below.....

Is "Lazarus" a homage to Psalm 23?

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death."

No. I'd say it's just a use of biblical phrasing/imagery.

Anyone else feeling a bit ... underwhelmed by "The Incident"?

Don't get me wrong. I dig it... especially "Time Flies" and "I Drive the Hearse", but it's not pushing my buttons nearly as much as PT's records from Stupid Dream to FOABP....

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jul 14 2010, 03:25 PM)

Don't get me wrong. I dig it... especially "Time Flies" and "I Drive the Hearse", but it's not pushing my buttons nearly as much as PT's records from Stupid Dream to FOABP....

Yes. It gets 3 of 5 stars from me. Maybe it will grow on me like Stupid Dream did. I hope it does. Stupid Dream is great.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 14 2010, 03:18 PM)

Yes. It gets 3 of 5 stars from me. Maybe it will grow on me like Stupid Dream did. I hope it does. Stupid Dream is great.

I hear that a lot about TI, but I happen to absolutely LOVE it. It didn't even have to grow on me. I suppose it's the unique quality of it that turns me on. It's all subjective, of course.

Hearing it live from beginning to end was a dream for me. I was in total awe.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 15 2010, 08:46 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 14 2010, 03:18 PM)

I hear that a lot about TI, but I happen to absolutely LOVE it. It didn't even have to grow on me. I suppose it's the unique quality of it that turns me on. It's all subjective, of course.

Hearing it live from beginning to end was a dream for me. I was in total awe.

The biggest surprise to me on here is the amount of average reviews 'The Incident' receives, I can hardly compare it to 'Stupid Dream'. First time listen was very hard hitting, pretty much blown away, much like some of the Riverside material. I still can't quite award the perfect 5 for any PT album, but TI would certainly be an easy 4!! 1287.gif Some will need more time of course and that's fine cool.gif

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Jul 14 2010, 05:31 PM)
The only objection I have to The Incident is that I think Time Flies is a bit too long, other than that the album is stellar

Not to me. Time Flies is perfect. A true and typical Prog song.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 14 2010, 05:23 PM)
QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Jul 14 2010, 05:31 PM)
The only objection I have to The Incident is that I think Time Flies is a bit too long, other than that the album is stellar

Not to me. Time Flies is perfect. A true and typical Prog song.

I agree. trink39.gif

All I heard when TI first hit was that the mid-section of Time Flies is a blatant rip-off of Floyd. It isn't. It's an homage. A compliment from SW to a band that helped shape his musical direction. I'll defend this album to my death. 1287.gif

I don't think anyone is saying "The Incident" is a bad album...... that is far from the truth.. it is a very good album........

I can't speak for others but all I am saying is that TI was not up to par with their previous 3 1/2 (1/2 is for Nil Recurring) albums.

QUOTE (Joshua @ Jul 14 2010, 05:54 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 13 2010, 11:50 PM)
QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jul 13 2010, 07:02 PM)
follow me down, to the valley below.....

Is "Lazarus" a homage to Psalm 23?

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death."

No. I'd say it's just a use of biblical phrasing/imagery.

I agree. trink39.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 14 2010, 06:54 PM)
I don't think anyone is saying "The Incident" is a bad album...... that is far from the truth.. it is a very good album........

I can't speak for others but all I am saying is that TI was not up to par with their previous 3 1/2 (1/2 is for Nil Recurring) albums.

"The Incident" is an awesome album. Wilson still a very consistent writer and player. I keep on wonder when Steven will write a disappointing PT record.

Thus far it hasn't happened for my ears.

Now when it comes to Coheed And Cambria, I have loved all of Claudio's work until the "Black Rainbow" record. I've listened to it 15 times and still it doesn't move me.

..and I suppose thus is born the on-going debate among PT fans: The validity of The Incident as being among their best work.

I don't worry about opinions, obviously. I hold The Incident in the top three of my favorite albums of all time.

But, I do respect the point of view of those who don't.

You know... the whole assholes and opinions thing... wink.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 14 2010, 10:25 PM)
..and I suppose thus is born the on-going debate among PT fans: The validity of The Incident as being among their best work.

I don't worry about opinions, obviously. I hold The Incident in the top three of my favorite albums of all time.

But, I do respect the point of view of those who don't.

You know... the whole assholes and opinions thing... wink.gif

I hate to put a label on any album saying it's my favorite, or that it's in my top 3. That's because my list would be constantly changing. If someone asked me what Rush album was my favorite, I'd have to say at least 7 or 8 of them are my favorite. I can't pick just one!

With that said, I love The Incident. It is definitely among PT's finer works. I have it in my CD player in my car, on my ipod, on my computer, etc...I can listen to it anywhere, anytime I need my PT fix laugh.gif

I'm really looking forward to hearing it live.