Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Natch @ Jun 7 2010, 12:43 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 4 2010, 09:24 AM)
QUOTE (Natch @ Jun 4 2010, 08:20 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 3 2010, 05:25 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 3 2010, 05:19 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 3 2010, 06:16 PM)
Does anyone know if they are doing all of The Incident on this next leg of the tour? I am going to see them in Sept and i read about them doing something special .

They Played The Incident when I saw them in Toronto. That's how they started the show. I heard they are doing a special show in NYC.. I wish I could see that show. They may be filming it.

The N.Y. show is the one i am going to. If they film it that would be great.

Cool! Maybe I'll see you there. I'll be going with my son. He's become quite the PT fan.

Great. Very cool place across the street we can have a trink38.gif before the show, if you can

I'd love to. I'll be in touch.

trink39.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 6 2010, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 5 2010, 09:42 PM)
I'm really bummed out!  I didn't remember to pre-order my limited edition Porcupine Tree Blu Ray DVD in the hardbound book with the two bonus live cds and the color photos!

SHIT!  1000 with a red cover and 4000 with a gray cover.

I'm totally depressed!  I FAILED!

Who was lucky enough to score one????

Earl

I ordered one........ still waiting on it.... I think they started shipping and a few people in the U.K have got theirs already.......

Still waiting on mine

Thanks for the update Owl. You know me, I will spend the dough to get one on eBay.

Damn! I lag again!

I had to fill out my name and email addy again for PT Updates. I thought I was already on that list.

Didn't get any alerts. sad.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 7 2010, 01:02 PM)
Ok not really PT news but Steven Wilson just said that the 4 CD IEM Boxset has just started shipping to everyone who ordered it.

You can get it here:

http://www.swhq.co.uk/headphone_dust_mailorder.cfm

biggrin.gif

Thanks Tree! You saved me on this one. Just picked up two of them.

I love that IEM album!!

trink39.gif

I need some help here....... looking for a good place to find some PT boots.....

Unfortunately PT is on Dime(adozen)'s "artist not allowed" list..........

If anyone knows a site (preferably spyware free) where I can find some good boots, I would appreciate it........ thanks..

I did find this on youtube..... a live version of the song "Nine Cats" from the first album

very cool.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 7 2010, 11:23 PM)
I need some help here....... looking for a good place to find some PT boots.....

Unfortunately PT is on Dime(adozen)'s "artist not allowed" list..........

If anyone knows a site (preferably spyware free) where I can find some good boots, I would appreciate it........ thanks..

I did find this on youtube..... a live version of the song "Nine Cats" from the first album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGoTkPaQEDI

very cool.

DIME has an artists not allowed list..? Why?

Some Artists, (or in most cases) or Record Companies do not like roio(s) of their music.......

Bands have come outright and said they do not support bootlegs of their concerts (Metallica)

but with PT Atlantic Records filed an injuction against Dime regarding PT bootlegs.........it sucks.....

I did get one PT boot from there a while ago....... on the FOABP tour....

But I want a boot from the current tour, and a real early boot....Signify tour or earlier..

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 7 2010, 05:58 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 7 2010, 01:02 PM)
Ok not really PT news but Steven Wilson just said that the 4 CD IEM Boxset has just started shipping to everyone who ordered it.

You can get it here:

http://www.swhq.co.uk/headphone_dust_mailorder.cfm

biggrin.gif

Thanks Tree! You saved me on this one. Just picked up two of them.

I love that IEM album!!

trink39.gif

No prob Earl.

Ya IEM is pretty out there... I love it!

trink39.gif

So I've listened to In Absentia once (technically, I'm on the last song so not quite) and I'm going to assume it gets much better with repeated listens. The first couple songs were great, then I found myself not really paying attention or otherwise not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. I do like it and will definitely be leaving it in my car a while to get used to it. Just sharing my experience a bit. If listening to Rush has taught me anything, it's that some things deserve a second, and third, and fourth chance. (Girlfriends? Not usually! laugh.gif ) Edited by Sussossus

QUOTE (Sussossus @ Jun 14 2010, 10:46 AM)
So I've listened to In Absentia once (technically, I'm on the last song so not quite) and I'm going to assume it gets much better with repeated listens.

You assumed right.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jun 13 2010, 07:14 PM)
So I've listened to In Absentia once (technically, I'm on the last song so not quite) and I'm going to assume it gets much better with repeated listens.

You assumed right.

And Steevo is right.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 13 2010, 04:58 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Jun 13 2010, 07:14 PM)

You assumed right.

And Steevo is right.

I must be messed up in the head then. I fell in love with "In Absentia" after one listen. wacko.gif

"Lightbulb Sun" is in the stereo tonight. trink39.gif

Speaking of not getting into something though that has something to do with Porcupine Tree, I bought that new No-Man dvd called "Mixtaped" and I fell asleep. It's cool watching Steve on the guitar but the rest of the band bores me.

Heck, I've tried many times to get into No-Man. Well, No Can Do Man. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Im looking forward to the reissue of "Recordings" in September.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005BIIP.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I have listened to this, I got a burned copy of it........ the music is great, but I want the actual thing.......without having to pay 300 bucks on Amazon for a first edition.

The full 15 minute version of "Even Less" is awesome.

Edited by The Owl

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 13 2010, 06:48 PM)

I have listened to this, I got a burned copy of it........ the music is great, but I want the actual thing.......without having to pay 300 bucks on Amazon for a first edition.

That figures. Of course Steven is going to reissue "Recordings."

That will drive the price down on the first pressing.

You see as an avid PT collector I have two. One sealed and one to play with the shrink wrap still around the cardboard case. I just opened it up along the side.

I am insane.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 13 2010, 08:53 PM)

You see as an avid PT collector I have two. One sealed and one to play with the shrink wrap still around the cardboard case. I just opened it up along the side.

I am insane.

The thing is, they were supposed to reissue this way back in 2008..... they announced the reissue of Lightbulb sun and recordings at the same time..... LBS was reissued....and recordings never got it's reissue.....but on PT.com they finally announded a date.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 13 2010, 06:53 PM)

I am insane.

Slowly but surely I suppose. Is Wilson still under contract with KSCOPE? SNAPPER?

QUOTE (Sussossus @ Jun 13 2010, 10:46 PM)
So I've listened to In Absentia once (technically, I'm on the last song so not quite) and I'm going to assume it gets much better with repeated listens. The first couple songs were great, then I found myself not really paying attention or otherwise not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. I do like it and will definitely be leaving it in my car a while to get used to it. Just sharing my experience a bit. If listening to Rush has taught me anything, it's that some things deserve a second, and third, and fourth chance. (Girlfriends? Not usually! laugh.gif )

Don't listen to the In Absentia bumboys! It won't get better with every listen - that boring middle of the album will always be boring no matter how many times you listen to it! I usually turn the album off after Trains.

On a serious note, I've never, ever understood why IA gets the adoration it does. It has no cinematic quality to it - a quality injected into every other PT album, the music sounds lifeless, almost PT by numbers. And the overall sound is just so compressed and blergh. It's a complete shame because the lyrics and theme are very good. If you want some good IA era music, check out the Futile EP.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jun 14 2010, 05:25 AM)
Don't listen to the In Absentia bumboys! It won't get better with every listen - that boring middle of the album will always be boring no matter how many times you listen to it! I usually turn the album off after Trains.

On a serious note, I've never, ever understood why IA gets the adoration it does. It has no cinematic quality to it - a quality injected into every other PT album, the music sounds lifeless, almost PT by numbers. And the overall sound is just so compressed and blergh. It's a complete shame because the lyrics and theme are very good. If you want some good IA era music, check out the Futile EP.

I disagree completely. In Absentia, to me, is their most cinematic. This is one of the few albums where the lyrics really add to my enjoyment (or perversion) to the album. It's a very dark, industrial, and psychotic album so to speak, dealing with a serial killer.

The album was hit or miss with me when I first started listening to it, but it grew BIG TIME and I'd probably place it at (or near) number 1 for my top albums ever. Trains, Lips Of Ashes, Heartattack In A Layby, and Collapse The Light Into Earth are all beautiful tracks and worth listening to more until they sink in. It's not an easy listen as I think it needs to be listened to in the right context (sunny, happy days do not "work" with this album, ya know?), but I hope it hits you eventually.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jun 14 2010, 12:16 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jun 14 2010, 05:25 AM)

I disagree completely. In Absentia, to me, is their most cinematic. This is one of the few albums where the lyrics really add to my enjoyment (or perversion) to the album. It's a very dark, industrial, and psychotic album so to speak, dealing with a serial killer.

The album was hit or miss with me when I first started listening to it, but it grew BIG TIME and I'd probably place it at (or near) number 1 for my top albums ever. Trains, Lips Of Ashes, Heartattack In A Layby, and Collapse The Light Into Earth are all beautiful tracks and worth listening to more until they sink in. It's not an easy listen as I think it needs to be listened to in the right context (sunny, happy days do not "work" with this album, ya know?), but I hope it hits you eventually.

It's had five years to sink in, and still nothing. No context required with PT for me either - I can listen to any other album at any time of the day, mood etc.

Something about IA just doesn't click with me. Compared to my other favourites (Deadwing and Stupid Dream) it sounds disjointed, hence the lack of cinematic quality for me, and there's nothing of epic grandiosity that matches Start of Something Beatufil, Sleep Together or Slave Called Shiver. And after five years, it isn't going to be getting many more chances!

EDIT: I'd also have to disagree with your industrial comment. If this album was more akin to the accepted definition of industrial, IA would be stellar. However, I reckon this is more of a transition between the psychedelic pop of Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun, and the metal of Deadwing and FoaBP.

Edited by Mandalorian Hunter

Got it Today!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Front Cover:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs541.ash1/31680_1140765335616_1721935193_271217_7448499_n.jpg

Back Cover:

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs631.snc3/31680_1140765375617_1721935193_271218_55751_n.jpg

DVD (Top Disc) Blu-Ray (Bottom Disc)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs541.ash1/31680_1140763655574_1721935193_271209_2246761_n.jpg

CD's:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs541.ash1/31680_1140763735576_1721935193_271210_2762741_n.jpg

Some Images from the Massive Photobook:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs601.snc3/31680_1140763535571_1721935193_271207_4281223_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs541.ash1/31680_1140763455569_1721935193_271206_2433236_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs541.ash1/31680_1140763575572_1721935193_271208_4562169_n.jpg