Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Aug 7 2010, 10:23 PM)
Okay, TRF.. help! I have The Incident, FOABP, In Absentia, and Deadwing. Which PT album should I get next? I was looking at Stupid Dream or Up The Downstair, but I need help!

Thanks!

Signify or The Sky Moves Sideways. I actually think Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are their two weakest albums (sans the first album), and their earlier, more psychedelic stuff is way more interesting IMO.

Okay, TRF.. help! I have The Incident, FOABP, In Absentia, and Deadwing. Which PT album should I get next? I was looking at Stupid Dream or Up The Downstair, but I need help!

Thanks!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41imkIoAYlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Definitely Stupid Dream! That's your next purchase. It's a wonderfully different kind of PT with a handful of pop songs. Don't let that discourage you though (if you find pop discouraging). There are some incredible non-pop tracks on this album worthy of notice: "A Smart Kid", "Baby Dream In Cellophane", and "Stop Swimming" are phenomenal! Those three alone make this disc a must-have in my opinion.

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Aug 8 2010, 03:23 PM)

Thanks!

Signify definitely.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Aug 8 2010, 12:18 AM)

Thanks!

Signify or The Sky Moves Sideways. I actually think Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are their two weakest albums (sans the first album), and their earlier, more psychedelic stuff is way more interesting IMO.

no.gif

Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are two strong PT CDs. Signify and TSMS are much spacier CDs with some good moments but not overall great, IMO, like the two aforementioned.

QUOTE (Joshua @ Aug 7 2010, 11:20 PM)

Thanks!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41imkIoAYlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Definitely Stupid Dream! That's your next purchase. It's a wonderfully different kind of PT with a handful of pop songs. Don't let that discourage you though (if you find pop discouraging). There are some incredible non-pop tracks on this album worthy of notice: "A Smart Kid", "Baby Dream In Cellophane", and "Stop Swimming" are phenomenal! Those three alone make this disc a must-have in my opinion.

+1

and the opening track, "Even Less", definately deserves to be mentioned!!

great song! great album!

QUOTE (Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees @ Aug 8 2010, 07:07 PM)
Does anyone know which album this version of "Disappear" is from? This version is 6+ minutes in length. The original is just over 3 minutes. I like both, but haven't been able to find any info on this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqn8h2QIaD4

Damn, I was just about to deliver a general 'what's up' here and see if all ya'll have discovered a few of these sometimes overlooked gems in the PT catalog...when the above question posed about the tune, Disappear caught me eye...I actually didn't know that there were two versions of this. The one I reference here is 3:43.

Both, the B-Sides collection, RECORDINGS, along with the FUTILE EP, and the LAZARUS Maxi-Single, all together will provide for enough extra PT music to FILL UP another whole entire 80 minute blank disc.

For all those folks who have already maxed out and heard all the PT music from the SIGNIFY to IN ABSENTIA era of the band, here's another whole batch of excellent rarities from that specific period to fill up your tank on high-grade PT...

I think there's only one track listed here which I provided a mandatory 'EDIT' for...and that was 'EVEN LESS 2' so that the cut makes musical sense, first off, and secondly, so the whole thing fits onto an 80 minute disc...all the other tracks are 'as is'...and AWESOME.

This would have been a way weird album if all these tracks were released together.

Porcupine Tree - Recordings/Futile/Lazarus

1. Disappear

2. Ambulance Chasing

3. In Formaldehyde

4. Oceans Have No Memory

5. Cure For Optimism

6. Access Denied

7. Even Less, Pt. 2

8. Buying New Soul

9. Orchidia

10. Futile

11. Drown With Me

12. So Called Friend

13. Half-Light

14. Chloroform

Futile is an absolutely fantastic album!

I know I'm late to this thread, but for anyone who needs to know, PT's music, especially stuff like Futile and Recordings can be purchased here:

http://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/

Addendum: although it would appear that Futile is presently unavailable at Burning Shed Records.

Edited by Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees

QUOTE (Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees @ Aug 8 2010, 11:00 PM)
Futile is an absolutely fantastic album!

yes.gif

It is an EP though. smile.gif

If anyone is looking for tix to the Radio City show, they have row DD [4th row] on ticketmaster now. I don't think this is selling as good as they thought it would

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 4 2008, 09:18 AM)
And be patient with your friend. It took me a little while before I really had a grasp of FOABP and really started to appreciate PT. I don't think this is the kind of band where you experience love at first listen.

PT was love at first listen for me! The first song I ever heard by them was FOABP (live in Finland, formerly on YouTube). I was totally blown away and have loved them ever since!

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 4 2008, 03:41 PM)
if you aren't into meandering psychedelic explorations and space rock (closest comparison to a classic album I can think of, off the top of my head, would be Pink Floyd's Meddle.

I like everything PT does from the pop sound of Piano Lessons, to the heavier songs (Futile), to the acoustic ones (Pure Narcotic), etc. But generally my favorites are the instrumentals like Up The Downstair, and space rock epics like Moonloop Improvisation. My 2 fave songs are Dark Matter and Arriving Somewhere.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 7 2008, 12:42 PM)
in that you can hardly tell it's a live CD. The crowd noise is practically non-existent. Good quality, though, and of course the music is amazing.

I was under the impression that Coma Divine's audience was filled with respect and awe, kind of like the British audiences of Led Zep that only clapped when the song was over.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 12 2008, 09:32 PM)
Almost all of PT is depressing. I think Stupid Dream is one of their least depressing recordings. This band is somewhat of a working study in irony. The lyrics are really morose, but the music that accompanies those lyrics can be completely contrary to the message. "Piano Lessons" is a good example. Listen to that song and tell me that little Steven wasn't told that he wouldn't amount to anything as a musician by his piano teacher, but the music is "upbeat," for a lack of a better word. I guess that's why I love this band. It's so damned interesting to listen to.

Excellent observation!

I got Stupid Dream, and I love it, so that was a good recommendation. I don't mind more meandering albums, but I need to have some kind of direction to the album as a whole. I'm going to get one more, and I'm looking at either The Sky Moves Sideways or Up The Downstair.

Thanks for the recommendations!

QUOTE (Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees @ Aug 10 2010, 12:11 AM)
Catching up (slowly). Read the first 11 pages. Just finished listening to Drown With Me!

Be back tomorrow or the next day for more reading! Great thread!

Great song!

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Aug 10 2010, 01:05 AM)
I don't mind more meandering albums, but I need to have some kind of direction to the album as a whole. I'm going to get one more, and I'm looking at either The Sky Moves Sideways or Up The Downstair.

Just one more? Signify or Lightbulb Sun. That's not to say that The Sky Moves Sideways and Up The Downstair aren't worth having. They totally are. They all are! You got the essentials and are now freed up to explore the remainder. At this point, you'll probably realize this band's entire catalog is worth having. Just depends on when you want to buy it all up. smile.gif Enjoy!